Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ear bitten off

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MrDickens, Jun 9, 2021.

1. MrDickens

MrDickens PetForums Newbie

Hi, we recently fostered a 12 mth old pup with a view to adopting. We had four weeks with her with no issues whatsoever and we are all besotted. However, she managed to dig under our fence and got into our neighbour’s garden - they all have a dog. Similar size. The neighbour was happy to see her and encouraged play between the dogs but mine suddenly turned and latched onto the other’s ear resulting in two thirds of it having to be removed. My husband had insisted we return the dog to the rescue centre - not least because of my neighbour’s feelings. Do you think this was the correct outcome or should we persist and train her?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This is a difficult situation. If a strange dog appeared in my garden, encouraging play between it and mine is the last thing that would happen; I'd have secured the dog, (shut mine away in the house) and rung the number on the collar tag, or if there wasn't a collar or tag, rung the dog warden after I'd looked on my local lost and found site.
    On your side, you're now aware that the dog in your care has seriously damaged another, and may well continue to be unpredictable around other dogs. That's not something you can necessarily fix with training. Is that the sort of pet you want?
    With having any dog or other pet, it's important that everyone in the household is equally on board with it As you husband doesn't want to keep this dog, and it would make for difficult relations with the neighbour if she stayed, it is probably best she be returned to the rescue to be better assessed with other dogs and homed to someone who can take on what has turned out to be a less easy dog than initially supposed

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Are you sure it was not over enthusiastic play. Ears are very easily damaged in rough play. I would say that everyone is to blame on this. Your garden should have been securely fenced and your neighbour should have returned your dog immediately, not allowed play between the two dogs which would be likely to encourage your dog to escape again. I take it you have paid the vets bill. I would fence the garden securely and keep the dog so long as she is not becoming aggressive with other dogs.

LinznMilly, Sarah H and Calvine like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice