UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is dog related, sort of. But I just wanted to know other people's experiences.

We bought a dyson because it was supposed to be good at hoovering up dog hairs - and it was very good. But after a while the suction went, so we bought a second one.

We can't remember how long we've had this one, but the same thing has happened and it just doesn't pick up well anymore. Is it just us, or have other people had the same problem? Or can anyone recommend a really good Hoover that gets rid of that hair?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would so recommend the dyson for animal hair, we have had ours for 8 years and is still going strong!

Have you checked all the tubes for blockages etc and changed the filter?

Ours did stop picking up because the drive belt snapped but once replaced it worked fine:)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
All the Dysons we've ever had have keeled over very quickly when faced with our carpets. Our dogs aren't even that hairy, it just seems like we're the kiss of death for Dysons.

We've now got a Henry and it's absolutely brilliant, would never have anything else now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Some dysons have 2 filters, a washable one and a disposable. It depends on the model.

If it is a an upright with a centre vortex in the bin part they can benefit from being washed out.

Uprights should also have the brush cleaned and remove the roller and check the mountings as often hair get wrapped round the fittings.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some dysons have 2 filters, a washable one and a disposable. It depends on the model.

If it is a an upright with a centre vortex in the bin part they can benefit from being washed out.

Uprights should also have the brush cleaned and remove the roller and check the mountings as often hair get wrapped round the fittings.
Does the upright have a replaceable filter? We've removed the roller etc many times.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I have a Dyson for general hoovering but if i want to get dog hair out of the carpet i use my electrolux hoover.I pull the pipe out and get on my hands and knees and get all the hair out the carpet that way.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
This is dog related, sort of. But I just wanted to know other people's experiences.

We bought a dyson because it was supposed to be good at hoovering up dog hairs - and it was very good. But after a while the suction went, so we bought a second one.

We can't remember how long we've had this one, but the same thing has happened and it just doesn't pick up well anymore. Is it just us, or have other people had the same problem? Or can anyone recommend a really good Hoover that gets rid of that hair?
Ive had a couple of dysons over the years and this one Ive got now is older then Kobi whos nearly 6 1/2 I had it before we got him. You need to check and wash and dry the filters regularly and make sure its all cleaned out. Is it still under guarantee they have a longer one then most think its about two years might be more. Dyson also have a deal or they did where for about £70 an engineer came out and replaced any parts included in the £70. Thats whats kept mine going all this time. If you contact dyson you should be able to find out if they still do this if your guarantees expired. With a regular clean out and the filters washed mines been fine and copes with this hairy lot.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Ive had a couple of dysons over the years and this one Ive got now is older then Kobi whos nearly 6 1/2 I had it before we got him. You need to check and wash and dry the filters regularly and make sure its all cleaned out. Is it still under guarantee they have a longer one then most think its about two years might be more. Dyson also have a deal or they did where for about £70 an engineer came out and replaced any parts included in the £70. Thats whats kept mine going all this time. If you contact dyson you should be able to find out if they still do this if your guarantees expired. With a regular clean out and the filters washed mines been fine and copes with this hairy lot.
I'm sure my dyson has a 5 year guarantee! :)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've got a Miele Cat and Dog, fantastic :D. They are not cheap and are not 'bagless' but they are great. I had an older version Miele which is now 12 years and old which my OH still uses in his room at work. Our Cat and Dog is about 6 years old. I get the cheaper version of the bags from Amazon.

I refuse to have a Dyson, everyone I know with one has had to have this or that part replaced. My friend has had three Dysons in the time I've had my Miele Cat and Dog.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
although i dont have dogs, i do have 9 longhaired cats and last year i had to give up my dyson dc01 after fourteen years of service because they didnt do the parts anymore, so on recommendation of dyson i bought the dyson ball for multifloors, even though i mentioned i had alot of cats.
well for a start i have a stair carpet which hangs onto cat hairs and the only way i can get them off is with a damp cloth, the hose doesnt touch it.
also the roller is continually being clogged up with cat hairs. never had any trouble with the old dyson but the new ones (i have two, one up, one down) arent anywhere as good

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
I've got a Miele Cat and Dog, fantastic :D. They are not cheap and are not 'bagless' but they are great. I had an older version Miele which is now 12 years and old which my OH still uses in his room at work. Our Cat and Dog is about 6 years old. I get the cheaper version of the bags from Amazon.

I refuse to have a Dyson, everyone I know with one has had to have this or that part replaced. My friend has had three Dysons in the time I've had my Miele Cat and Dog.
We have a Miele and it's brilliant , i had a upright animal dyson before which was good for carpets but rubbish on the hard flooring which is the whole of downstairs .

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've never been that impressed with Dysons, neither of mine were any good with bunny or Wilma hair from the get go.

About five years ago we got a Vax and haven't looked back. It sucks like a jet engine and you can wash with it as well. Oh, and the ability to vacuum water was very handy when my kitchen flooded :(

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
We have a Harry Hound, it's excellent. :)
I also prefer that it has a bag, so everything is contained and not as messy...I seem to remember our old Dyson cylinder opening when it shouldn't have. :crying:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.