Dylan was diagnosed with feline asthma last year after having an asthma attack out of the blue, then a chest x-ray that showed the asthma. He has been on a steroid inhaler each day ever since and although he occasional gets a bit wheezy if he's been out for a while, it's never that bad. Last night at 10pm he was curled up in a chair in the living room and my OH went to sit next to him to say hello but immediately said "come here quickly and listen to his breathing". His chest was going up and down loads and was making a really awful fluid filled sound. He wasn't hunched over coughing like the time he had an asthma attack but he looked really unwell and was fighting to keep his eyes open. I immediately called the emergency phone line (our vet runs it's own out of hours service) and as we were waiting for a call back we actually thought we were going to lose him as the noises were getting worse. They called us back and asked to see him straight away. We have children so we can't go together when we need to visit the vet at night. I usually prefer to go as I can explain his history better than my OH but I was shaking too much to drive so sent my OH instead. He called me to say that they had listened to his chest and that it sounded very 'raspy'. They gave him 3 injections. My OH can't remember what they all were but one was anti-biotics. They said that the injections could cause quite serious side effects, like making the breathing worse, and that we needed to watch him closely. They said that they could keep him in but they may be called out during the night to home visits so we were better monitoring him at home. They booked him in for midday today to check him over and potentially do x-rays. His breathing was a lot better by the time they got home at 11.30pm but he still looked very unwell and heavy eyed. His breathing seemed ok overnight. I have just taken him in and they said that he looked better in himself. Apparently the vet that handed over this morning had described how unwell he looked last night. She listened to his chest and said she could still hear fluid. His breathing was fairly heavy and his nostrils were flaring a little bit. They decided to keep him in for x-rays just to check that it is nothing serious. She said it is probably just his asthma flaring up and they are going to get him a blue inhaler in case this happens again, but they wanted to x-ray to be on the safe side. He will need to be heavily sedated as he gets very aggressive at the vets. I'm really worried because Dylan was exposed to Coronavirus 18 months ago and all the blood test that he has had since have shown the levels as high. We had been told to keep an eye on his breathing as he is at risk of FIP. I thought this would have calmed down by now but is always at the back of my mind. I'm dreading a call to say that he has loads of fluid on his chest. They won't be doing the x-rays for a couple of hours so I just need to keep myself busy and try not to think about it. Easier said than done though! I'll keep you updated.