Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dylan is at the vets having a chest x-ray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Buttons1, May 10, 2017.

1. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Dylan was diagnosed with feline asthma last year after having an asthma attack out of the blue, then a chest x-ray that showed the asthma. He has been on a steroid inhaler each day ever since and although he occasional gets a bit wheezy if he's been out for a while, it's never that bad.

Last night at 10pm he was curled up in a chair in the living room and my OH went to sit next to him to say hello but immediately said "come here quickly and listen to his breathing". His chest was going up and down loads and was making a really awful fluid filled sound. He wasn't hunched over coughing like the time he had an asthma attack but he looked really unwell and was fighting to keep his eyes open. I immediately called the emergency phone line (our vet runs it's own out of hours service) and as we were waiting for a call back we actually thought we were going to lose him as the noises were getting worse.

They called us back and asked to see him straight away. We have children so we can't go together when we need to visit the vet at night. I usually prefer to go as I can explain his history better than my OH but I was shaking too much to drive so sent my OH instead.

He called me to say that they had listened to his chest and that it sounded very 'raspy'. They gave him 3 injections. My OH can't remember what they all were but one was anti-biotics. They said that the injections could cause quite serious side effects, like making the breathing worse, and that we needed to watch him closely. They said that they could keep him in but they may be called out during the night to home visits so we were better monitoring him at home. They booked him in for midday today to check him over and potentially do x-rays.

His breathing was a lot better by the time they got home at 11.30pm but he still looked very unwell and heavy eyed. His breathing seemed ok overnight.

I have just taken him in and they said that he looked better in himself. Apparently the vet that handed over this morning had described how unwell he looked last night.

She listened to his chest and said she could still hear fluid. His breathing was fairly heavy and his nostrils were flaring a little bit. They decided to keep him in for x-rays just to check that it is nothing serious. She said it is probably just his asthma flaring up and they are going to get him a blue inhaler in case this happens again, but they wanted to x-ray to be on the safe side. He will need to be heavily sedated as he gets very aggressive at the vets.

I'm really worried because Dylan was exposed to Coronavirus 18 months ago and all the blood test that he has had since have shown the levels as high. We had been told to keep an eye on his breathing as he is at risk of FIP. I thought this would have calmed down by now but is always at the back of my mind. I'm dreading a call to say that he has loads of fluid on his chest.

They won't be doing the x-rays for a couple of hours so I just need to keep myself busy and try not to think about it. Easier said than done though!

I'll keep you updated.

2. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Blimey, what a worry, fingers crossed that Dylan's ok.

Buttons1 likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

These things are so scary. Hope all will be well and he will be home soon. xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Fingers and paws crossed all is well with Dylan.
    Loads of positive healing vibes on their way to help him on his way to full health x

Buttons1 likes this.
  5. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Have got all fingers and paws for you all. Please let us know how Dylan is getting on.

Buttons1 likes this.
  6. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh blimey, how worrying for you. Sending heaps of positive vibes for Dylan that it's nothing serious x

Buttons1 likes this.
  7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Thinking of you all and sending strong healthy vibes from the PP clan

Buttons1 likes this.
  8. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Thanks all x

Still no news :(

9. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Sending lots of PF vibes for Dylan. I hope it's nothing serious.

Viv xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  10. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I've just had a phone call.

The x-ray didn't show any fluid but it did show that his lungs are over inflated and that he has thickening and narrowing of his airways.

They want to increase his normal inhaler to twice a day but she doesn't think that will be enough for him at the moment as he's so bad, so he has to have oral steroids for 4 days. They want to see him again on Friday to listen to his chest to make sure things have calmed down a bit. He needs to stay indoors obviously.

I'm relieved that it's not FIP but feel sad for him that his asthma has got so bad. They think it could be caused by household products as I've been cleaning some stains off the carpets recently. I also stupidly did a bit of ant spray in our conservatory, which I'm about to go and mop to get rid of. I really hope it wasn't my fault.

He is only just coming round from the sedation so I can't pick him up until 6pm. The poor thing must be starving. They always have to let him come round in his carrier as he is so difficult to handle, so they said they would rather not try to feed him. I asked if he had been lashing out and she said he hadn't but they want to minimise stress due to the state of his breathing. He is such a softy at home. It's such a shame he gets to stressed at the vets.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him. I bet he will be exhausted.

Thanks for all the PF vibes xx

chillminx and Paddypaws like this.
  11. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Oh gosh how scary for you... healing vibes to Dylan xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  12. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Sorry he seems so poorly. Hopefully, steroids will be quick acting and he'll feel better this evening. Don't blame yourself, its really hard with asthma cats to remember not to use products which might irritate them or to even know which ones to avoid. Big hug xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  13. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I hope Dylan starts to feel better soon on his medication.

Viv xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  14. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

I hope that Dylan is loads better soon!

Buttons1 likes this.
  15. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Good vibes are being sent to Dylan. Don't knock yourself for basically trying to keep your house clean, it what we all do. Neither of my cats have ever wanted to eat at the vets (despite me being a worrier and sending them in with their usual food), so I guess it's the same for a lot of cats.

Buttons1 likes this.
  16. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

Aww poor thing, asthma is pretty awful at times, i know how scary it feels myself and the poor thing wont know why he cant breathe. Hope the steroids work quickly and he improves quickly

Buttons1 likes this.
  17. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Poor Dylan, fingers crossed that he's now over the worst. A truck full of positive vibes on the way to him.xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  18. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Oh poor Dylan.
    I am so glad it wasn't fluid though as I immediately thought FIP or heart disease.
    At least you can control his asthma and if it was triggered by cleaning stuff do something about it.

When Little H was diagnosed as a kitten I look back and remember that I had had the tiled floors professionally cleaned around the same time and now wonder if that set him off - it was allergic asthma they thought. I have been really careful since then and try not to use any harsh chemicals or bleach or anything and we have bought air purifiers, don't use aerosols or perfumes or candles etc etc.
    He has never had an episode (he didn't then but sounded a bit fluidy) and thankfully I don't have to use an inhaler with him.
    I hope Dylan's can be helped to this extent.

chillminx and Buttons1 like this.
  19. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Try not to blame yourself @Buttons1 it could be the recent warm weather and subsequent rise in pollen's that have aggravated his airways. I hope he's home safe soon, I'm sure he'll feel more comfortable in his home environment and he'll be able to have a good feed.

Buttons1, Matrod and moggie14 like this.
  20. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Gosh, what a worry!! Hopefully the meds will help xx

Buttons1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice