Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dying your hair blonde at home... Doable?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shibby, Apr 19, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I dyed it once, very foolishly and in a typical impatient manner and it went ginger... Duh! I tried to go from dark brown to blonde in one go :rolleyes: But, my hair naturally lightens in summer to a light brown, I was just wondering if it's possible to gradually go lighter at home? Or is the hairdressers the only option? I have an urge to go blonde but hate going to the hairdressers, can just about manage to get a cut every few months because they always hurt my scalp...

2. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

If previously dyed then it will be a bugger!

I tried, mashed my hair and cost me a small fortune! Hairdresser will tell you to do highlights then add each time you go hairdressers

3. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I would say it depends how dark you are, if you went ginger last time i would say go to a salon or get someone to your house.. I have a really good friend 45 quid for cut/blow and highlights. :D
    I hate salons, Feel like im wasting 4 hours of my life so she'll come every couple of months and inbetween i will highlight the top of my hair myself.
    Its been a long time since ive done my full head as it took ages for it to grow out so have just has half head highlight for the last couple of years.

4. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

It's had a semi on it recently but it's washed out now. I know you can get something to remove all the residual colour too. Ahh yes, I hated the highlights look, used to have blonde highlights in my teens and really couldn't stand going back to that. I have a silly urge that won't go away, I just don't want to end up Gwen Stefani-y-ing myself with a load of peroxide :D Although I like that look, it's damaging for your hair...

5. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

See mines blonde anyway just a dirty blonde so its not so bad.. its doesnt seem to do the ginger stage.
    It is going to take a pre lightener if your dark.. a lot of work id say hairdressers :lol:

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Hmm, it keeps lightening in the summer so it's not as dark as it usually is. I've attached what it looks like without dye on it. Me too, not a fan of salons, I have a sensitive scalp and it always flares up when I get a cut and finish. I feel like a child asking for dry cuts but I do prefer them. I'm too scared to risk the gingerness again :D So if I don't end up going the salon I'll probably just go darker...

7. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

Did you use a toner the last time you tried?

I'm constantly dying my hair and it does take some work to get where you want it with brown to blonde, but I'm happy with ginger so don't mind when mine goes like that.

My hairdresser friend always combs her fingers through my hair though tutting and saying I should have used toner! :p

8. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

They do some really good prelighteners ect but id just be worried doing a full head.. Id definatly do a strand test somewhere it wont be seen with pre - lightener first see how light it goes :)

9. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I always have blue based toner in just incase, Besides it helps when it starts fading :lol: :eek:

10. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

i went blonde at the hairdressers and it wasnt blonde enough so put 2 platinum blondes on top of it about a month later and went ginger :(

i was back in the hairdressers about a couple of months on hating my hair to go dark again :(

11. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Nope :eek: It was about 6 years ago and I've learnt a bit since then hehe. My friend dyes her hair ginger sometimes and likes it too :) It's not for me :D...

Mmm, I know and the possibility of it being brassy etc. I might have an experiment :)eek:) If I'm feeling brave next month, it should have lightened in the sun some more by then...

12. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

As an ex hairdreser looking at your piccie i can categorically state you will be very unlikely to get a decent blonde doing it yourself and you will need to find a good colourist ;)

Your hair is beautiful, don't wreck it :eek: xx

13. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Arw no :( I went ginger with the platinum shades too! I am in the mood for either quite dark hair or really light hair. I see youtube videos for peroxide and they're all so confident just chucking these chemicals on their hair! I'd be a little scared of peroxide...

14. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

NOoooooooooo don't use peroxide yourself willy nilly :eek: :nono:

15. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Drats! Hehe, just what I suspected, I'm just in denial :D I guess I get fed up of being a brunette sometimes... Arw, thank you, I might as well go darker then (no peroxide :lol:), this is what it is like in winter before the sun lightens it:
    [​IMG]

Regarding cutting hair, do you advise every 8 weeks max? I'm trying to grow it to the small of my back. Would it do much damage waiting longer than the recommended time and then having a trim? Hair troubles hey!

16. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

I love dark brown hair. I'm actually naturally light blonde but I've spent many of my years faking it brunette! Have you thought about using a clip in colour extension for when you get abit bored? Dark red can look good!

With cutting hair I think the every 8 weeks rule is to prevent it looking scraggly. It doesn't actually aid in hair growth, everyone has an individual maximum hair length. The only thing you can do for your hair is keep a healthy lifestyle and diet!

17. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

12/16 weeks between trims is fine if you are growing it, you will do more for the condition by using deep conditioners (on the ends) and taking a good hair and nail supplement ;)

18. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Can you get something that strips colour out of your hair without making you bald? I have red roots and dark red/brown ends :/ I want it all bright red!

19. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Again colour stripping is for the experts but it can be done, can be quite damaging though :(

20. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Hehe, the grass is greener on the other side. I like hair really dark or really light and I guess the first option would be easier for me so I ought to commit to it :D I don't think I'd get on well with clip in hair extensions, but thanks anyway, I might change my mind on them in the future :) I wouldn't mind a really good blonde wig though (not to wear outside!).

Thank you, that's good to hear! Last cut was in February, so I think I'll go for a dry cut in early May :) I've grown out my layers so it's pretty much one length (bar my grown out fringe at the front). I will look in to buying some hair & nail supplements, I need them! I've inherited my Mum's wavy hair so it can have a tendency to look frizzy :frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice