Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dwarf hamsters??

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Emmiiee, May 6, 2010.

1. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

im looking into getting dwarf hamsters, but im abit confussed as to what types of dwarf hamsters there are, could someone tell me what types their are? and the temperment of them, and which type you would recommend for a first time dwarf hamster keeper, also is the habitate ovo cage, with extentions okay to house them, as theres no wires? x

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Which ovo cage is it, the new one (cant remember the name, but its the big one) is the only one I would put a hamster in.
    the main dwarf varieties are the Campbells Russian the winter whites and the chinese dwarfs. I own three Campbells but they are actually more likely to be Campbells/Winter white hybrids they are uaually referred to as russian dwarfs, I can highly reccomend them mine are sweet natured with people and each other although they can become territorial and when they start fighting they usually need to be seperated permanently as they often fight to the death. I have also owned a pair of chinese dwarfs and they were gorgeous too, I loves the way they wrapped their legs round my finger and hung on. temperament wish I think the chinese are not good at living together and are more shy generally than the russians. If you are planning on getting more than 1 there are ways you can arrange the cage to make them less likely to fight but a cage like the smaller ovos would be terrible for that as they would start to become territorial over each seperate room, they are also not really suitable due to size, they are just too small.

3. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

this is the cage i have, tho havn't extended it yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any good? x

4. thedogsmother

Not at all, sorry.It would be ok for a cage to pop them in when you are cleaning them out but not permanently. Even for one hamster they are horrible cages but for more than one dwarf it would vastly increase the risk of fights breaking out as they become territorial over each little room and tube. hamsters love wheels and those cages just dont have room for a wheel for each hamster. With dwarfs you need to provide a wheel, food bowl, bottle and house for each hamster just to avoid them trying to get territorial over each thing. They are ok with barred cages when they are adults but if I was you I would look out for a fish tank for while they are small or even try to make a bin cage, they are excellent and comparatively cheap.

5. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

ooo what about one of the plastic base cages with the bars on the roof x

6. thedogsmother

It depends on the size of the actual cage, they need the biggest footprint you can get, the rabbit cages that are that style are exellent, I have one for the mice and I have meshed the top so the bars arent too wide. generally hamster cages in that style just arent big enough unfortunately.

7. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

There are also Roborovskis. They are extremely fast and very entertaining to watch. They dont usually make great pets to handle due to them being so tiny and fast
    If you were thinking about getting robos then i would recommend a glass tank for them, so they cant escape :)

8. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

9. thedogsmother

Oooh robos are gorgeous, what are they like personality wise?

10. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

They are friendly usually :)
    Obviously if you get them from p@h i bet they would be evil :p :lol:

11. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

12. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I have seen those cages and they are tiny. I rehomed Joey (RIP) who used to live in one of those and he hated it :(

13. thedogsmother

I remember thinking when I first saw those cages that they look pretty cool and a lotof people will go for them for that reason but for the animal living in them they are small, cramped and just not worth the money.

14. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

hmmm duno wot to do lol, might not get them cos cnt get a cage :/

15. thedogsmother

How much have you got to spend? Is that the only thing limiting what cage you get? Have you tried asking for a tank on freecycle, that would be ok till they are older anyway.

16. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

ideally the smallest cage they could have, thts why i thought the habitate ovo would be good cos its a goodish size when its extended x

17. thedogsmother

It isnt really hun, to make it a liveable size it would have to be extended an awful lot which would take up much more room than a standard cage. whats the biggest size you can have?

18. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

But the poor thing would be stuck in there for anything like 2-3 years, sometimes they can live even longer
    Theres no room in the habitrail cages for toys to play with :( Poor things would be bored stiff

Also, the tubes in those cages are upright and many dwarfs find them difficult to climb

19. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have 2 Russian hamsters, in seperate cages, 1 Chinese in a large rotastak cage and a Roborovski in an habritrail loft cage with extensions. The loft is the biggest one. I would say that the Russians are the friendliest and the cage I would recommend for them is the Imac Fantasy cage which you can also get extensions for so you can give them more room if needed. I got mine from ebay, brand new for £26 + £7 postage and packing.

Here is one of my imacs [​IMG]

That's one of my Syrians in there though before I moved her to an hamster heaven cage.

20. thedogsmother

If you are getting a single dwarf the Imac fantasy is a fantastic cage, keeping more than one in a fantasy might be risky though as they can get territorial over the different levels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice