Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dwarf Hairgrass Seems to be Dying?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants & Planted Aquariums' started by Foxmallow, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Foxmallow

Foxmallow PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I've added a few plants to my tropical fish tank (no fish in there yet though). I only have gravel with no soil substrate so I put some root tabs in when I planted my dwarf hairgrass. However, it's been about 3 weeks now and they just seem to be dying? My other plant is happy and is growing several new leaves but the hair grass has mostly gone brown.
    I had an issue with hair algae but I managed to get most of it off.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it dying or do I just need to leave it in there until it recovers?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

What's your water hardness and pH?
    As well as the root tabs, are you using any liquid ferts and/or a CO2 source/liquid carbon?

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

And what's your lighting levels/regime ?

4. Foxmallow

My testing kit doesn't do hardness, but my water company says the water in my area is hard (105.1mg/l calcium). My ph is between 7.4-7.6.
    I have the Love Fish Plant fertiliser but I haven't used it recently as I wasn't sure if it would over fertilise the water given I had already put two root tabs in (small 5 gal tank).
    I don't have any sources of carbon, are there any that you would recommend?

Its an LED light, I used to leave it on while I was awake (but I didnt record when I turned it on and off but its likely it was on for a long time). I then had some algae problems on my hairgrass so lately I've been leaving it off most of the day.

5. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

I've not grown hairgrass myself, but I believe it's a root feeder, so you might be OK ferts-wise with just the tabs. However, you will need some way of supplying its CO2 needs. Liquid carbon such as Easycarbo is the easiest way to do this as it doesn't require any extra equipment like a CO2 injection system would. I'd try adding a daily dose of Easycarbo and see how you get on. Unless your tank gets a ton of natural light (unlikely this time of year), I'd add an artificial lighting period, too. Those timers you can plug into the plug socket are handy. Setting it with a break in the middle may help to reduce algae issues - so you may have it come on for three hours, say, then off for two, then back on for another three.

6. Foxmallow

Yeah I was looking for some liquid carbon but my nearest pet store doesn't have anything except the canisters.
    Is that Easy-life Easy Carbo? I'll order some online if so.
    Are there any risks to fish if I were to over dose?

7. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

Yeah it's the Easylife Easycarbo. Best not to overdose - order some 1ml syringes (you can get a pack of 10 for about £1 on ebay) to make sure you get the dosage right. What livestock are you getting? If you are planning to have any shrimp I'd start out with a half dose as they can be sensitive to it.

8. Foxmallow

I haven't got anything in there yet as my tank is still cycling but I'll be getting a betta and a couple of shrimp in there eventually.
    Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice