Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dwarf Gouramis

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fish novice, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Fish novice

Fish novice PetForums Junior

A couple of weeks ago I added two male Dwarf Gouramis to my community aquarium which already contained Red Eye Tetra, Rosy Barbs and a single Platy. The two male Gouramis occasionally chase each other but don't fight. Would it be ok to add two female Dwarf Gouramis or would that cause problems ?

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

TBH I'd take one of the males back and swap for a female. Two males may seem OK with each other initially, but are likely to fight with each other further down the line.

3. Fish novice

Thank you for your reply Naomi, unforunately the place I bought them from only stocks males, I was told most people buy males only in view of their attractive colours but hardly anyone buys females as they're plain, for this reason the shop now doesn't buy them in. My local Pets at Home store had plenty of females a week ago, however, I've never bought fish from there before in view of the bad reputation of Pets at Home in general.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

What size tank do you have? Unless it is very large I agree with Naomi. When they are cramped together in the shop tanks the males can't fight as they can't establish a territory. Once they feel settled in your tank then they will work out territories. In very large tanks there would be enough room for both but in a smaller one, one fish will always be hiding or chased by the other. This is the sort of situation that triggers MTS. An addictive syndrome. One that the owner catches rather than the fish :) If you got a couple of females and another tank you could set up both pairs of gouramies with territories, oh and of course the second tank would need some more fish too. And that's how multiple tank syndrome begins (MTS).

On a serious note I have bought quite a few fish from pets at home and they have been fine. It depends on the store and the staff. If the tanks look well cared for and the fish are healthy then you should be ok. However it is always good practice to quarantine your fish at home in a separate tank for a few weeks to make sure all is ok.

5. Fish novice

Thank you for your reply Kittih, my tank is 125 litres. The females in Pets at Home appeared to be in good condition, if I were to buy two and put them in my tank would it cause any problems ? Unfortunately I don't have room for another tank.

Geoff.

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Your two males are unlikely to co exist happily in your tank. Adding the females may will add to the tension. To some extent it depends on the temperament of your fish but my expectation is the one male will be picked on. What might help is to divide the line of sight up in your tank so there are two clear territories where the males won't come across each other so much. You can use plants and ornaments to do this.

NaomiM likes this.
  7. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Agree with kittih. If you're not willing/able to return one of the males, then I'd forget about the females and buy loads of plants etc to divide up the space in your tank and allow them to get away from each other and establish seperate territories.

8. Fish novice

Many thanks for the replies.

9. Fish novice

An update on my Dwarf Gouramis, neither has killed the other even though they have minor punch ups, they are both still healthy, active fish.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice