Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dvla

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Freyja, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

They are a complete waste of time.

I bought my nes car 2 months ago and as I hadn't yet received the log book for it and am still waiting to change my number plate over onto it. That means I still have my old car as I can't sell my old car untill the number plate is taken off it.

I phoned them on wednesday afternoon to find out what was happening. They told me they hadn't received the papers for the car. We decided to drive up to the local DVLA offiices which is about 40 miles away to sort it out quicker. When we saw someone they check the car details and said the papers had been posted out on wednesday morning. So how come the car was not registered in my name in the aftrenoon in fact they said they hadn't even received the paperwork for the change of ownership.

Now I have to wait for the papers to come then send them all back and wait 8 days until it is all sorted. The old car can't be advertised until it is re registered and only has 1 months tax left on it and has to be parked on the road.

I had phoned the garage were the car came from and they said the papers had been posted off to the DVLA which is why we waited so long before contacted them we assumed they were busy and just taking longer than normal as someone at work also hasn't had the papers through for a car he has bought at about the same time as I bought mine.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

you can take the number plate off your old car and hold it on retention that means it dose not have to go straight on to another car but you still keep the reg

when your ready to put it on the new car the dvla will take it off retention and transfer onto the new car

as you have been waiting so long for the v5 go to the post office and get a v62 form (i think) fill that in and send it back along with the green slip of the v5 and they will send you out the new v5 in your name and you wont have to pay as its been over a certain time

it could be that the old owner forgot to post it off but the dvla do say you have to wait up to 3 months before you can ask them why

3. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

I had a new car on the 21st of nov and i didnt get my papers till late feb they said in jan that i had to pay £25 because the papers had been lost and had to re register...yeah right waited a few weeks and got it through.

4. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

i have got court in june for failing to notify change of ownership ! i sold a car back in jan 2010 and sent log book off within a week! but now 15 months later i got to fight my corner!:mad::confused:

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

heres a tip that i always do now has have been caught out in the past

if you buy or sell a car

i always right down the persons full name address and contact numbers and email if i have it

as if anything happens they will always ask you wjho sold / bought the car so if you have the details of the the said person you have a better chance of them being charged etc

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

The dvla are a bunch of idiots who dint seem to know their arse from Their elbow!

We had our car off road, while getting it fixed they clamped it so we paid the fine got it taxed mot'd and Insured now nearly a month later after being told that was the end if it we get a letter to pay £62 in 10 days kiss my arse strings to mind!
    It was £260 for the fine and flaming, then £250 to get it fixed, £150 for Mot/insurance/road tax for 5mintjs because we back dated it. The bloody car is only worth about £300 max ggggrrr! That we'd only get that if it was Mot'd etc

7. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

me and hubby both bought cars at the same time and our log books came on the same day 2 weeks later x

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

That was what we went to the local DVLA offices to do but they told us the papers had already been sent. We know we can put the plates on retention but it costs a lot more its easier to just swap it straight from one to the other.

We bought the car from a garage when I rang I couple of days after the car was delivered they said the papers had been posted.

The log book arrived this morning so it will be sent back first thing monday by recorded delivery so I know it has got there.

9. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

You know what puzzles me? I had a car that had no mot, tax or insurance and wasn't sorned and NEVER got anything off them regarding the illigality of it, as I could have potentially been driving it round since 2008.

But when I got my new car, had no tax and insurance and within about 2 weeks I had a letter through telling me I was committing an illegal offence and I was to be charged. I hadn't even receieved any notification that the car had been changed over to me, so I told them toshove it up their arse and I wasn't gonna pay, and they shut up about it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice