Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DVD player

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Carla-Jade, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

my DVD VCR duel recorder has packed up completely- been out cold for a long time which im gutted about cos it cost about £650 :mad:

so anyway im sick of not being able to watch a film thats on a propert tv as opposed to the dvd's being played on my laptop cos its just inconvenient!

i have decided to get a cheap dvd player thats capable of playing the dvd r+ cos i have some of those from my mates :eek: however, im a total & utter girl so i have a feeling i might be asking for help when i get it home & am stuck about how i make it work (plugs, cables- im already lost!)

if you have any suggestions about a good one to look at on a budget id be grateful too :D

2. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Best bet, have a look around the local supermarkets, make a note of model numbers and head for google!!!
    :)

3. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Depending on what you can afford & how much you're looking to spend, it may be worth looking at getting a blu-ray if you don't have a PS3. You can pick up decent ones quite cheap now. Argos have got this one for £60

Buy Hitachi DV-BP100UK Blu-ray and DVD Player at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for DVD, blu ray and video.

(They also do a slightly more expensive LG player which I would recommend as we have one & it is brilliant!)

You would need to purchase a HDMI cable

Buy Bush 1m HDMI Cable - White at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Scart leads, cables and accessories.

You can get cheaper cables (try Tescos) but just make sure they are gold-plated at the ends as it does make a big difference.

It will take you about 5 mins to set up and it is SO easy.

All this is assuming you have a flat-screen tv which has the HD quality to it.

Blu rays will play your normal dvd's but really enhances the sound & picture quality so they still look better than on a normal dvd player. Also, blu-ray discs are really dropping in price now.

If, however, you still have a tube tv, you would not benefit from this yet and would be better to pick up a standard dvd player for next to nothing from most supermarkets or Argos. This one will play your R+ dvds.

Buy Argos Value Range DVD Player at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for DVD players.

I hope this all helps. I'm a girlie so I'm not doing the blokey thing of trying to get you to buy something funky coz I'm a gadget freak!! :)

#3 MoggyBaby, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Carla-Jade likes this.
  4. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

If you are on a really tight budget then anything from a supermarket will do the job and you can get them now for under 20 quid, just don't expect jaw dropping image quality for that price.

If you can spend a bit more and rather than replacing it in a years time (why do the cheap ones always break just after they go out of warranty?) then I would definitely recommend going for a Bluray. Prices are still tumbling and even though mine is a good quality Sony with internet connectivity, it was still less than £100 6 months ago.

Don't however, be taken in by cable elitism, scart and component leads carry an analogue signal which is highly susceptible to interference and the quality of the cable can make a huge difference to the quality of the picture (and sound), but HDMI and optical audio cables carry a digital signal which is unaffected by interference and all the usual fancy cable trimmings such as gold connectors and oxygen free wiring just don't do anything at all. The digital signal is exactly that, digital, a series of ones and zeros which is encoded by hardware at one end and decoded by hardware at the other end, interference has no effect and the cable either works or it doesn't. This is the whole point of using a digital signal in the first place.

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I would have to disagree with you on this point I'm afraid. Sorry.

We used a bog-standard HDMI cable when we got our first blu-ray (also a Sony but since replaced with an LG which we think is much better) and found the picture quality to be rather poor in comparison to that seen in the shop when viewing the product before purchase. We were advised to go for a gold connection, which we did, and the resulting picture & sound quality was exactly as it should be and what we expcted to get when we made our purchase.

When OH's mum got her blu-ray we forgot to mention this to her & she also bought a non-gold HDMI and had the same problem.

Most sellers would still recommend the gold HDMI cable & they no longer cost that much more than a bog-standard one. :)

6. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

cheers for the help guys. im very cash limited, at the moment im looking at Buy Alba DVD Player with Display at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for DVD players. which i know is most likely to be very bog standard but it is really where my budget is at sadly. silver fits in with my tv though :rolleyes: anybody have one of these? bearing in mind my all singing all dancing £650 one broke jsut outside of its warrenty due to a faulty power supply im not expecting miracles from this, jsut for it to work! if it lasts a year, perhaps i might have got a job sorted so would be able to afford a good one... when thsi dies :D

7. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

ahh good point! asda has just opened in the next town, i will have a look

8. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Carla-Jade likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice