Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dutch Rabbit Breeders

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AJ, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ

AJ Guest

I am looking for a pure dutch female rabbit. Does anyone know a good breeder in the East Midlands?

2. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

Don't know any around here (from east midlands too) but what about a rescue? Again, don't know any but just a thought.

3. AJ

AJ Guest

We really want to have a litter if we can find a good female as our Bailey is a brilliant example of a dutch and it would be a shame not to pass on his greatness :)

Do rescues neuter their rabbits?

4. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I should hope they all do, its for the best an animal doesn't actually breed because its wasting so many amazing animals' chances of finding much needed homes when they're in shelters, so its kind of annoying when people keep breeding more and more into the world... sorry to sound harsh :(

I couldn't help you out any further as I don't really agree with breeding like that so I've never looked into it personally. I'm sure others could give you advice but to be honest, an obvious thing to would ask around in your area, check local newspapers, even the Yellow Pages? lol seems a bit extreme but you never know! :p

Edit: My mistake! Read it completely wrong at the end lol! To answer your question properly, some may do! It all depends on whether they're trained vets and have a surgery too. Otherwise no, they would either take them to get neutered or advise strongly to get the animal to be neutered when they're adopted, and if they're a decent rescue then they would keep track and make sure they had been.

5. AJ

AJ Guest

Don't agree with breeding like what?

6. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

Breeding an animal that has no need to breed. I have a middle aged neutered male rabbit who is grumpy all the time, I want to find a friend for him in the spring/summer months and will be getting her spayed. I found this website and read some points that seemed really interesting, don't know if you'd like to read about it but here's the link...

rabbit care neutering bunny rabbits pet health from petplanet.co.uk

Either way, its up to you what you do.

7. AJ

AJ Guest

What do you mean has no need to breed?

I'd rather breed my healthy rabbit with another healthy rabbit and look after the babies, ensure they go to good homes and know that if we can't rehome them all we have the space and time to devote to them. Surely that's better than rabbit farms. Or would you prefer all rabbits to be bred in **** conditions and people who really care about animals just stay out of it?

8. BabyBlonde

BabyBlonde PetForums Member

I agree with you completely! I used to breed bunnies and am concidering starting again with my mini lops. As long as you take full responsiblity for the kits and their new homes then why not

9. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

The Dutch rabbit is such a common breed of rabbit, you'll find them in pretty much all pet stores that house animals. If you're breeding for personal reasons and you keep the kittens with you, then you'll have a lot of thinking and planning to do.

I believe all animals in pet stores, rescues and breeders all need a loving home with someone to care for them. Sometimes its best to not think of your needs over your pets... does your bunny really need to breed? That's all I meant.

10. AJ

AJ Guest

:rolleyes: Yawn!

11. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

this is a very hot topic on most animal forums, to breed or not to breed!?
    Personally I am not anti but I'm not pro either. I think rescuing is a good idea, although breeding can give you a much more stable animal, rescue cases often have behavioural problems and its not always a good option for some people. Breeding for perfection has its down side, doing this can magnify the flaws as well as the good things.

12. AJ

AJ Guest

Lol he's a rabbit!!!!

All animals have a natural instinct to breed. It's nature, rabbits moreso than most.

As for telling me I need to do some planning, well dur!

We weren't all dropped on our heads as babies. :eek:

Sorry but I find it very hard to take someone's opinions serious when they think it's okay to leave a dog with small children.

13. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Im with you on that one!

14. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I know it is instincts but you have to think, he's your pet, not a wild animal where a human is making him.

Also I wasn't trying to say you were dropped on your head as a baby, and neither was I, but that was a sick way of describing someone's intelligence.

I did not say its ok to leave EVERY dog with children, I know many kids who walk their dogs (on their own), from Yorkies to Rotties and NONE have been harmed. Some dogs are actually GOOD with children :rolleyes:

15. AJ

AJ Guest

What??? :confused:

You're in the wrong thread for explaining yourself about that. But as you mentioned it; IT IS NOT OKAY TO LEAVE ANY DOG ALONE WITH SMALL CHILDREN.

Most dogs are good with children. My dog is brilliant with children, he often plays with them at family parties and has never shown any sign he would attack someone. But a dog is a dog and can never be trusted 100%. I would never leave him alone with small children.

16. BabyBlonde

you wont find a pure bred dutch though

17. BabyBlonde

.well you rescue people carry on doing that, I have to BUT its his choice and his life and his pet so he has onwershop and I really believe you should not interferre because he will do it anyway and I personally think he will do great at it

18. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Oh cavvy, you do talk some old sh**.

19. AJ

AJ Guest

:D LOL :D Couldn't agree more!

20. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

let us no if you find a female,, and if you do decide to breed,put pics of baby bunnies up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice