Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dusty has been spayed today...bonding soon...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jemma_79, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

...and she's very quiet... really trying to tempt her to eat foodies but she's only managed a bit of grass/leaves so far.

Been on the net for info... says she should stay indoors in cage so we can watch her. We're getting big baby Willow spayed next week now that she's nearly 6 months, but just been reading that bonding females is 'very difficult if not impossible' - is this true? Please share any advice/experience.... thanks.

Dusty and Willow have been introduced a couple of times under close supervision... Dusty was a rescue bun who previously lived with her brother (by accident) and Willow has lived alone since getting her as a baby in February.
    So any thoughts, please share. Reading great threads on here about bonding.

jemma, dusty n willow x

2. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Dusty will soon come round :)

Well you know im bonding my 3.. Hunny and Bebe are girls and ive had no problem with them 2 :D x

3. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

But do you think it's easier 'cos they have a little man in with them too? Does he get one on each arm? LOL!

4. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

I dont know tbh... :confused: they seemed very happy sniffing each other without sunny around so i dont think there would have been much problem between them. But every bunny is different really :eek: x

5. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Not sure about the bonding issues, just wanted to wish Dusty a very speedy recovery and wish Willow luck for next week :thumbup:

6. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

Thanks - Dusty is looking quite sorry for herself... bless!

7. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

Just a Dusty update.... she's really perking up now, but wonders why she's in an indoor observation chamber (indoor cage). She's eating quite alot of hay now and has done a few poopies. Worrying tho, having them 'done' isn't it?

8. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

Dusty is doing well now, a few weeks on from her bits being taken away... she's running round the garden like a mad thing then chilling out in the cool soily borders.... plus she's doesn't seem quite as shy and timid as before. Do the hormones take a while to settle?

Willow, the big baby lop, has her final mites injection next week... then it's spaying for her. Doing it as close to summer hols as possible so I can give them full attention during the bonding process (then I'll be able to chill in the garden with them, weather permitting, and not having to mark 100 school books like today....the joys of being a teacher!)

Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine (Dusty is still slapped out in the border and Willow is in this cute little tent - that's probably intended for cats, but was a bargain at Ikea!)

jemma x

9. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Glad to hear it! :D

Hormones take afew weeks to calm down before they get back to normal :) so nothing to worry about x

10. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

A few weeks.... I hope she'll be braver in a few weeks - she's so timid!

11. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I'm glad she is recovering well :thumbup:
    Just to let you know as far as I am concerned bonding does can be difficult but certainly not impossible if it is done properly. Hormones take 6-8 weeks to die down so once Willow is done and you have waited for her hormones to die down also, I can't see any reason why the bond won't work for you :thumbup::thumbup:

12. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

Oh wonderful - need words of encouragement... Dusty is currently running round the garden wild as she's just spotted next door's rabbit. We're a street of rabbits; two here, one next door and two next door to them! Rabbitland!

13. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Ive bonded 1 buck and 2 does and they are doing brilliant at the moment! Keep ur spirits high and it will work! :D x

14. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

I would love to bond these then get more... but I will focus on these two for now. Thanks for all the positive vibes!

15. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

Willow was spayed yesterday and is doing much better than Dusty did on the first day. Vet nurse thought she was a lovely bunny with a lovely nature (well, she is). She had eaten and had a drink - Dusty had refused this on her first day!

Bless - how soon can I bond them? Dusty was done two weeks ago (and is 2 yrs old) and Willow done yest and is 6 months old.

Thanks x

16. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

I would think about bonding them 2 months from the day that Willow was done. So i would wait until at least the 24th Aug :eek: You sound very excited to get started but if you do it too soon the hormones with get in the way and its horrible to see them scuff :eek: They need some time to relax after there op too.. let the wounds heal etc

In the mean time you could start getting stuff ready :eek: If youre unsure of what you need look in on my bonding thread i made a list on the first post :) x

17. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your advice - thought they would need settling time - wasn't quite so sure how long with Willow still being young. Wasn't sure whether her hormones would have quite developed yet. They met when Willow was a baby and they've always been ok under supervision; just occasional dominant behaviour from Dusty.

18. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Sounds like they should get on okay but its a different story when you start adding space to be dominent about etc :eek:

After about a month let dusty hop up to willows cage and sniff alittle and visa versa. You will proberbly get some wees and poos being done next to the cage but i allowed Bebe to say hello to Hunny & Sunny alot and i think it helped with the bonding when i started. As the rabbits knew there was another rabbit around, and had got close to it before :eek:

Just watch out for nips and nibbles through the bars :cool: x

19. jemma_79

jemma_79 PetForums VIP

This was them when Willow was a tiny baby...

[​IMG]

20. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

You're proberbly not going to have much of a problem :D
    By the looks of it, they seem quite happy to have a cuddle :p (very cute btw)

But now hormones are involved and your babies all grown up, some stuff can change. I rekon as soon as the hormones calm down and you get started, youll really enjoy bonding and itll be very easy for you to do! :D x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice