UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have posted before about Dusty deciding on the best place for her kittens. We have re-arranged the spare room so it is safe in there, but she has moved them again! This time she put them between the computer table and the chest of drawers - but she couldn't lie with them to feed them... then the kittens began climbing up the outside of the kitten pen. So we moved the pen away to the other side of the room so they were safe. Now they have wriggled out a little bit into the room so Dusty can get to them again - but she still doesn't seem too happy when I handle the kittens. They are 2 1/2 weeks old now, but she still seems anxious if I pick them up. Maybe it's just my imagination?
We haven't let anyone come and see the kittens yet because they are so young and because she seems unsettled still.
Is this usual for a cat with her first litter?
I am right that I need to persevere with handling them though aren't I? They need to get used to it and so does she, so I guess she will relax in time.
I just read someone suggesting kittens should be weaned at 3 weeks. I thought it was 5 weeks???

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hya

Lily gets anxious when we handled them when they are little - ours are usually out for quick weigh/check then straight back in. Just go with your instincts about picking them up, see how she is. They are all different. Might be why she is moving them.

We found with Lily's 1st litter that they 'told us' when they wanted food as they used to taste mums. One of them was a good few days before the others. think they were about 4 weeks.

it does get better, honest, its horrible when they keep moving them isn't it:( :):)

D xx

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Dee... it is just that I am probably an over anxious mum!!!
Dusty seems fine if Rusty (dad cat) goes to visit the kittens and in fact they really seem to miss each other when we keep him away. So we have put him in a crate in the spare room with her at night (both are house cats by the way) otherwise they both cry literally all night!!!
She just appears anxious to me if I handle the kittens. I also need to sex them at some stage. I am assuming I have 2 males and 2 females purely because I have 2 x ginger and I know they are generally males and 2 x tortoisheshell and I know they are generally females, but don't want to get it wrong!!
Off to settle them all down for the night.
Thanks again for the advice. I guess all the time Dusty has a large bowl of food in the room (it's kitten food anyway to give her extra energy to feed the growing kittens!) the babies will help themselves when they are ready?
Just need to get a kitten size litter tray now because there is no way they could climb into her tray ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
You sound like you are doing a great job with them - its hard not to worry. I am maybe too soft with Lily too - she wont let me leave her. I need to pop out today - ahh hope she will be ok.

I worry about sexing ours too and up to now have gone from 6 boys to 2 boys and 4 girls lol - you will know eventually.:D can you have a quick peek when she is out of the room or will she not leave them?

We have a cream/red maine coon female so you never know:D:D

I was thinking of getting deeper trays this time for ours as they made so much mess last time,:scared: I have seen videos online of kittens using deeper trays. Its amazing how they 'know' how to use them.

D xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.