UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old shih tzu dog has been diagnosed with a dust mite allergy.

We have bought him hypo-allergenic food from the vets and new bedding. We're looking at sprays to reduce dust mites so will treat the house with this when we buy one. Any suggestions for good ones will be useful.

We have been told to only feed Jasper with the hypo-allergenic food and nothing else. This has been hard as each evening at around 7 o'clock both our dogs know it is time for their evening treat and have been walking around wondering where tonights treat is. We don't want to stop all treats for Jasper but know the treats must be hypo-allergenic. Are there any treats that anyone can suggest that are good for Jasper and also tasty.

If anyone has any other tips or advice for Jasper's allergy we would be grateful for anything.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,365 Posts
Regarding the sprays I think RIP fleas help with dust mites. Its a yearly treatment so only needs doing once a year.

I know you haven't asked as such, but if you have carpets Hoover regularly. Wooden flooring sweep regularly. Do not dust, but wet wipe frequently.

There are many hypoallergenic dog treats on the market, as well as food. I am sure the vets food was expensive for what it is, so check out the dry food index.

If your dog is allergic to dust mites, can someone explain to me why you need hypoallergenic food? I have had a long day so pretty confused about this, fair enough if the vet also thought your dog my have issues with what may be regarded as common allergens. But without knowing for sure even hypoallergenic foods can trigger an allergic reaction.

If your dog was allergic to storage mites found in food then advice would be to freeze any dry food before given to the dog!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,185 Posts
My 7 year old shih tzu dog has been diagnosed with a dust mite allergy.

We have bought him hypo-allergenic food from the vets and new bedding. We're looking at sprays to reduce dust mites so will treat the house with this when we buy one. Any suggestions for good ones will be useful.

We have been told to only feed Jasper with the hypo-allergenic food and nothing else. This has been hard as each evening at around 7 o'clock both our dogs know it is time for their evening treat and have been walking around wondering where tonights treat is. We don't want to stop all treats for Jasper but know the treats must be hypo-allergenic. Are there any treats that anyone can suggest that are good for Jasper and also tasty.

If anyone has any other tips or advice for Jasper's allergy we would be grateful for anything.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Changing the food will not make any difference and has nothing to do with dust mite allergy.

Indorex and Acclaim are the best sprays

Remove as much upholstery, carpets, rugs you can, and hoover daily, also air purifiers can be helpful with allergies.

You may wish to try desensitisation injections monthly but they do not always work, you may also wish to investigate a homeopathic vet who can make up a bespoke remedy for the dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,811 Posts
My 7 year old shih tzu dog has been diagnosed with a dust mite allergy.

We have bought him hypo-allergenic food from the vets and new bedding. We're looking at sprays to reduce dust mites so will treat the house with this when we buy one. Any suggestions for good ones will be useful.

We have been told to only feed Jasper with the hypo-allergenic food and nothing else. This has been hard as each evening at around 7 o'clock both our dogs know it is time for their evening treat and have been walking around wondering where tonights treat is. We don't want to stop all treats for Jasper but know the treats must be hypo-allergenic. Are there any treats that anyone can suggest that are good for Jasper and also tasty.

If anyone has any other tips or advice for Jasper's allergy we would be grateful for anything.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Biolife home do a range of allergen neutralisers including ones for dust mites, they also do a range of dog skincare products and have some helpful regimes for dogs with problem skin and allergies.

http://resources.monomatic.co.uk/bio-life/atopic-dermatitis-or-eczema.pdf

http://resources.monomatic.co.uk/bio-life/nature-of-skin-conditions-in-dogs.pdf

Details of products on link below.

http://www.biolife-international.co.uk/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Hi

We've just been through this for Finn....one of his allergens is house dust mites, we've changed carpet for laminate, corduroy sofa for leather sofa and bought an air purifier!! Expensive times but we justified it by thinking it will make for a cleaner environment for us and the kids too.

We bought a silent purifier that claims to destroy the allergens rather than a hepa filter one that will need replacing or lose efficiency.

Not sure if any or all of it helps yet...early days and he's been on Apoquel too which totally stopped his chewing (last tablet tomorrow so I guess we'll see!)

One thing our vet mentioned was getting him out of the house every time we Hoover any carpet and for 15 mins afterwards as even a good hepa filter Hoover effectively disperses all the tiny mites and their faeces etc into the atmosphere when you Hoover and they land on his skin if he's around! Uuurgh!

His other allergens are two wild weeds and the yeast on his own skin (!) so regular malaseb baths for the yeast and a vaccine planned for autumn for the seasonal weeds...hopefully his sore skin days are over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Hmmmm.....don't know to be honest as we changed lots all at once....he stopped all his chewing/biting with the Apoquel which he started taking around the same time we put laminate down....got rid of the fabric sofa and changed his bedding to Vetbed Gold....

It wasn't cheap and I gave joked on to my OH that it could be doing very little for all we know! If I was going through it all again I probably wouldn't buy it until I'd done the other stuff to see if I needed it at all!

It's on constantly and his symptoms are well under control.....just not sure how much the purifier helps. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,811 Posts
Our little Jack x Chi was tested and diagnosed with house dust mite & storage mite allergy. He's been on a desensitisation programme for almost a year now, has monthly injections of the allergens to build up immunity. It has worked very well, no itching or skin problems at all now.
Feeding various foods will not make any dufference where house dust mites are concerned and its impossible to remove them from any house entirely, although indorex sprayed all over the lower parts of the house, beds, carpets and furnishings may help just a little. I would have thought your vet should know this. Storage mites are found in all dried food, so stopping feeding kibble, biscuits and treats would bebeneficial to some extent.
Our dogs immunotherapy serum is made in Belgium, is expensive but he's insured and it has helped him immensely. :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top