Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Duration of pregnancy 62 days or other?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by poppies, Mar 3, 2008.

1. poppies

poppies PetForums Newbie

Hi again this is are first litter of cocker spanniels due in about a week getting both excited and scared. I am reading the book of the bitch which states that a normal pregnancy can last as little as 54 days or as long as 72 with the average being 62 days, and I wondered what durations other breeders have had shorter or longer than the 62 days thanks:)

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Hi, ive never had a bitch go longer than 62 days but ive had a couple whelp as early as 56 days. :)

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I've had a bitch that went over to 67 days,never had them go early.

4. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

mine had thers on the 60th day and on the 64th day..many sleepless nights waiting :mad:

5. claire

claire Guest

is it different for different breeds of dog all do they all pop at about the same time???

6. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

French Bulldogs whelp around the 70 day mark and there are a couple of other small breeds that whelp around the 60 day mark but I cant think what they are at the moment.

7. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

my labrador went at 58days

8. Dorastar

Dorastar PetForums Junior

All of mine usually go been between 61 and 64 days but do know of some that went to 68 days. I have always found the best indication is to take their temperature if there is a drop they normally whelp within 24 hours, it helps with the sleepless nights (just):)

9. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

mine welp from 57/60 days

10. tilli121

tilli121 PetForums Junior

my dal had her litter on the 63rd day

11. poppies

poppies PetForums Newbie

Thanks for replys, it is day 62 today and nothing has happened yet I thought the pups where coming last night when poppy got a bit restless but this afternoon she has settled and there is no sign of anything happening now:)

12. tilli121

tilli121 PetForums Junior

sounds like the pups will be here soon, my dog was like that on the monday, by tuesday afternoon she had a bit of a leak, i thought her waters had broken, a few hours later she got restless again, then started walking round in circles and panting late on tuesday, (around midnight) her first pup arrived at 2.05am on the wednesday. good luck.

13. sokeldachshunds

sokeldachshunds PetForums Member

63 days is the norm for a bitch to go although over the years we have had them go up to 65 days and we have had a few had them on day 63.
    My sister has had one that had 2 litters and both times had them on day 56

14. rottweilers

rottweilers PetForums Newbie

a normal dog pregancy is about 63 days give or take!!!!!!!!!!

15. spellweaver

spellweaver Guest

It might be worthwhle asking your breeder how your girl's mum fared - Evie was almost five days overdue and we took her to the vet just to make sure everything was alright. (It was! :rolleyes: ) Apparently, Evie's mum was exactly the same!

16. babydreams

babydreams PetForums Newbie

I read on here someone said that french bulldogs go to day 70 when pregnant is this true for all french bulldogs? My frenchie is on day 62 and theres signs signs of labor shes still eating and drinking was running around and ive been taking her temps and their staying around 99.8 with our dog the vet felt her around day 45 and couldnt feel anything in her stomache but then felt up in her rib area and said she felt 2 or 3 balls that she thought were puppies she was 90% sure and we left it at that so now were wondering if she is in fact pregnant she dosent look like it but i dont know if thats normal if they are carrying a small litter up high maybe they dont look pregnant.......

17. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

you not had her scanned?

18. wezy

wezy PetForums Junior

hi congrats , i also am awaiting my big day for my french bulldog to go into labor !
    mine has 7 days left to her jue date ,
    i did have her scanned at 5 weeks it showed 4 , she is huge and her belly is nearly on the floor bless her :eek: . she is still and has been all along a giddy girl , she never calmed down .
    it might of been worth getting her scanned , odd the vet didnt recommend it
    i always go by scan to confirm , then if there are any potential problems you are aware .
    another thing i mite add is 80 % of french bulldogs need c sections so it would be advisable if you new for sure as your vet would need alerting when she does go into labor to be on stand by .
    As with my bitch the first litter she had it did end up a c section as a pup was very large and she was unable to pass the pup naturally , very scary moment , this is her second litter and im not taking any chances , vet on stand by , car ready ,
    good luck and please keep me posted :)

19. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

my frenchie girl had her puppies just over 2 weeks ago and had 5 puppies ( all naturally) in 1 1/2 hours!!! and on her due date!

20. wezy

wezy PetForums Junior

oh my gawd , how lucky was that congratulations :D , im on tender hooks i hate the last week waiting about not knowing witch day or time it will happen :)
    i read your post on the pups birth , absolutely beautiful fab colors ,
    are they all doing fine , would love to see a few more pics when they get up and about ,
    i mentioned the c section as you will be aware your self it can go wrong very easily, and as she is not aware if she is pregnant or not there might be a problem , i had a bulldog that was carrying just 1 pup she did not gain much weight , if it wasnt for the scan we wouldnt of guessed she was in pup ,
    she went passed her due date , was admitted in for a c section , the pup was born with water retention and a cleft pallet , it was huge ,
    i think the lady needs conformation just in case .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice