Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Duke nearly got hit by a car

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NicoleW, Mar 23, 2011.

1. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Well I came back from shopping after doing the school run this morning and I went to do the poo picking, next door neighbour looked over our fence and the conversation went as follows

Neighbour: "Is your dog alright?"
    Me: (Think he was talking about Logan) "Oh yeah he's fine, he's our new rescue"
    "I meant Duke"
    "Duke? (all confused)"
    "Yes he almost got hit by a car this morning because he was wandering the road, the woman's car is dented at the front but she's not worried about it at all she just wants to know the dog is ok?"
    "Yeah.. He's fine, what do you mean out on the road?"
    "Well yesterday I saw your new one out on your driveway so I just shoo'd him in, I thought you were in. This morning a lady walking her dogs saw Duke come out and ran across the road, just kinda wandering about by himself. I think one of them is opening the front door"

So now Logan can open the front and back door, I've phoned the landlord and he won't let me put another door lock onto the front door (a handle one). So now we're going to keep the front door locked when we go out and go out the back door as we can handle lock that one, the front door has one of those catch things on? So he's either batting at the door so much it's opening or he's jumping up and catching it.

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Two options that I can see. Put a chain on the door, but then you will still have to go out the back way, or take the handle off and refit it upside down. I know it is rented, but if you put it back before you move, who is going to know?

Either way, the inconvenience of having to go out the back far outweighs the risk. Ferdie can open all the doors, but he never does unless Joshua is outside (like groomer, or trying to take him to the vet), but if they are doing it whilst you are out that is a different matter.

3. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

We have the catch thing.. can't remember what they're called but there is no handle to turn upside down. It has a safety chain on which I've started to leave on all day but he doesn't attempt to open any doors unless he's on his own.

I've began ''leave it'' training with him, will be stepping outside for a short time and treating if he doesn't open the door, if he does hopefully I can use ''leave it'' to get him to stop. Will take months I'm assuming before he can be trusted not to escape lol so will be using the back door until that day comes :)

Frightened the life out of me

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness, what a shock for you. Glad Duke is OK.

5. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Can you put a hook lock on the outside of the front door?

On the one hand it's frightening that he got out on his own, on the other hand my isn't he a smart boy.

6. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Thing is, Logan (the new one) opens the doors but it's Duke who is the one who goes out of them!

I think he's trying to kill my boy :(

I'll put a hook lock on the outside, thanks for that - never thought of that.

Was also curious as to if you can get say a little plastic box to go over the yale lock ? Or am I imagining things?

7. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

:( What a nasty shock for you- I hope the training works out, and I'm glad that everyones ok

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

He really is an escape artist, Im willing to bet he is a jumper too, so even if you have got 6ft fences, (which I think you said you havent?) There is no way you should leave him in the garden. Its likely thats why he was in the rescue in the first place. Once they have learnt to escape thats usually it.
    Even Daisy 13 now whos a full sibe so hasnt got his height or leg length, could manage a 6ft when she was young. Thats how I came to get her, the previous owners couldnt cope with the escaping and she nearly lost her life worrying sheep. They just couldnt keep her in. You really need to rig something up so the door cant be opened at all, Just a hook and eye might not be enough, Anything he can geet open enough to get his paws behind, he could have the screws out. Sibes have even been known to climb up weldmesh if the guage of the squares in it are too big like cats. Thats why a lot have had to revert to really high weldmesh pens, and some are even enclosed with "Lids". Trouble is Duke, is probably capable of jumping too, its just never entered his head before, but if he sees Logan do it, he is likely to copy.

9. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

He's too fat to jump lol!

Well I've just rang the landlord up again and made it quite clear that we'll have to find another property if he can't come and sort the door out.

So he's coming fitting a brand new door, which has a door lock on it.

He's never left out unsupervised, getting our front garden done soon! They're going to clean it all up, tear down our fences and putting up brand new fencing with a gate. He won't be out there unsupervised either, 5ft fences they are but it's somewhere different for him to go and explore.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Thats brilliant news that he is now coming to put on proper locks. Sounds like that should sort him, once he is literally under safe lock and key!!

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

you could tape a clean spread tub around the catch as a shield? cut a hole in it so it is cupping the lock from below

Attached Files:

12. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

I'm glad Duke is ok and the landlord is putting a new door on. We have to keep our front door locked and go out the back door because of Archie (Springer), he is so good at opening doors. We have turned all the handles on the doors upsidedown so he can't get into the kitchen unless he is invited to.

We are lucky that he hasn't let any of the other dogs out and doesn't try to escape when he is in the garden.

Val xx

13. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Glad Duke is okaay. :)

and good luck with Logan! :)

14. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

So happy to hear duke is okay ! must have been sucha shock when ur neighbour told you. Good thing she did tho, cause duke could have got seriously hurt, the silly lil boy, if only he knew what danger he's getting himself into :rolleyes:. Happy to hear your landlord is going to fit a new door ! :)

15. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

OMG what a worry! These blinking dogs are so clever, Kali and Marty do that with the baby gate but not the front door. My kids are always telling me i'm stupid for locking the front door when I go out, comments like 'they're not Harry Houdini you know!' Just wait til I tell them this one.

So glad lovely Duke is okay, could have been so tragic, bet your heart was in your mouth listening to that! :eek:

16. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

All I kept thinking was that if anything happened to my boy, then I'll move out and get a 2 bedroom flat somehwere just me and Duke so we could live happily together forever.

But I think that's a bit too drastic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice