Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Duck wings

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by urbantigers, Jun 12, 2017.

1. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I was browsing the frozen food section in a pet store today and noticed natures menu (think it was NM) did packs of frozen duck wings. I didn't check ingredients but assume they are just plain, frozen wings with nothing added. Would these be ok for cats? As far as I could tell by feeling the packet, they were a similar size to chicken wings, maybe a bit bigger. Kito loves a chicken wing so thought he might like these then wondered whether they'd be too big or the bones too hard. As they have a picture of a dog on the packaging I assume they are aimed at dogs rather than cats. Anyone tried these? I noticed they also sold turkey necks but these seemed large - too large for a cat?

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Never tried them, I have a feeling that the bones might be a bit harder than chicken - not sure if too hard, but I think if it's too hard a cat would just leave it, wouldn't they?

If they're cheap enough I'd get some to try, or buy a whole duck for your supper (assuming you eat meat) & take the wings off before cooking...

urbantigers likes this.
  3. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

I have often wondered if some of the treats designed for dogs would be suitable for cats? not giant dog bones of course! but one of the places I get cody's food does interesting treats for dogs like dried venison whereas the ones for cats all seem to contain cereals or sugar which I try to avoid.

urbantigers likes this.
  4. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

I don't know about feeding duck wings to cats, but they have high proportion of bone to meat and have caused constipation in my dogs unless they I fed boneless meat as well.

urbantigers likes this.
  5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I cut the wings off duck or turkey to give the cats. They don't crunch them up like they do chicken but the still gnaw at them and eat the meat

urbantigers likes this.
  6. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

I may give them a try then. I just hope Kito isn't one of those cats who over estimates his ability to crunch hard bones and breaks his teeth on them!

I always give a boneless meal to counter the chicken wings I give Kito (they are raw fed so easy to do) so will do the same with the duck wings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice