UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i need some advice on my brood. I have 4 hens (2 khaki campbells & 2 applyards) and 1 khaki drake, they have all been together for a while now, and have been laying eggs well, 10 days go 1 of the appleyards started to brood with about 10 eggs, I have let her stay in the main duck house quiet and undisturbed and moved the others into my conservatory for this brooding period. the broody hen comes out twice a day or a stretch, swim, feed and water with the others, great so far but when she comes out the drake chases her around the garden immedately till he's done his drake thing which seems unfair after sitting on eggs for 10 hours, 1 of the khaki campbells quackes continuously whle she is out and the other campbell hen chases her off aggresively if she's near her, considering they all got on fine before she got broody i find this strange. What will happen when the eggs hatch? Will she still be hastled by the drake and will the campbell hen still chase her and more importantely will she case the young chicks.

If anyone has some advice i would be very gratefull, this is my 1st year breeding and am concerned about this strange behaviour.

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi
I wouldnt worry about what is happening it is because its breeding season they go all funny once breeding season is over it will all go back to normal. i would just let the drake do his bit unless he starts being to rough with her but it shouldnt be a problem as their are other females around.

my drake and female were like it with one of my chickens they would chase it round then peck at its neck and the female would pin it down but i just seperated the ducks from the chickens.
so i would say if you think they are causing her problems then if you can just seperate her from them just till its all carmed down the last thing you want is the female leaving her nest and not sit again.
As with the ducklings i would just watch them with the adults just incase they try and harm them if not then fine leave them with their mother she will keep them warm in the day and at night but if they try and harm them i would keep them in a box with a brooder lamp in the house or shed to keep them warm then at about 2-3 weeks if its a nice day pen them off in the garden so the adults can see them so they get used to seeing them around but bring them back in at night as it gets a bit chilly even tho ducks are a hardy bird it wont kill them but if they get a chill it will stun there growth then at about 4-5 weeks put them outside day and night they will be fine.... at 3 weeks they can come off heat if keep indoors.

hope all that makes sense for you lol

need any more info just give me a shout im on here most days

good luck with the breeding, it will be my first year properly next year i have been selling a few aylesbury ducklings this year but for my proper breeding season i have got rare white crested bali runners which are still ducklings and in my incubator i got calls and manderins.

mitch

happy quacking

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.