Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drying robe v overalls/ suit?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bette, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

Now that the rainy muddy weather is well and truly here I just wondered what everyone’s routine is for wet , muddy walks and the clean up afterwards? If you use suits or coats for the walk or a robe afterwards ( or a mix of both)what makes do you recommend? My dog has quite long hair ( though I do have him cut short for winter) .He loves a swamp:D so the clean up struggle is real and any new tips or recommendations are welcome.:)

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Mine two (GSD's) have Ruff &Tumble drying coats which I love. I've had them years & they still wash up really well.

LittleMow and Bette like this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

We have a Ruff and Tumble and also a recently bought robe from Zooplus which is a towelling microfibre, absorbs quickly and also dries quickly. The robe is great for getting most of the wetness off the dog and the R&T keeps her warm whilst absorbing the rest of the damp

Bette likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I like equafleece which keep them nice and dry. They wash well too in the machine and dry super fast.

However, my tibetan terrier cannot wear the equafleece suit as he has bad hips and cannot get his back leg into a full suit.

He has one that zips along the back which is easier for him.

And i picked up a towelling robe from aldi a couple of weeks ago for only 6.99. So he has that now too. Here is tilly modelling an equafleece. This one doesnt have back legs but they are tight fitting so tricky for arthritic dogs but fab for dogs with flexible limbs! IMG-20181014-WA0044.jpg

The reason i prefer equafleece over robe is that it stops them getting dirty in the first place,

But robes are good if it is very hot and you dont want a suit on them.

LittleMow, MontyMaude and Bette like this.
  5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Bought Heidi a Dri-bag 10 years ago and it’s my best doggie purchase.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cosipet-...387923?hash=item2d160b9c13:g:P6UAAOSwWbxeuCvY
    Pop her straight in after a wet/muddy walk and she comes out clean. The scratchy towelling removes the mud and dries her whilst I have my coffee. Invariably it’s dry as well. Quick shake to remove dry mud, air on the radiator or line and it’s ready to go again. I wash it about every 3rd use. Never smelly.

LittleMow, Bette and tabelmabel like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I have a dry bag for Isla too:D. Tends to get used if she’s had to have a complete wash down after rolling in something yucky

Bette and Mum2Heidi like this.
  8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Mine have 'Freckles' drying coats which are great, but personally I prefer using their equafleeces,

Bette likes this.
  9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would say if your dog likes to go in boogy swampy areas then a drying coat would probably be better but if not a bog snorkeler or swimmer then go for a suit. I have both suit/tankie and coat. I love the suits as my two collect an inordinate amount of water, twigs, foliage and muck and gunk in their leg feathers and the suits stop the majority of this, one of mine has dodgy knees so he too like @tabelmabel's dog he has a zip in the back to aid ease of getting him into it, I too have a Freckles Drying Coat which I tend to use more at home after they have had a bath, but I used to use it in conjunction with a camping shower to clean legs after a wet walk but now I just strap them up in their suits.

Hector in his zipped Suit

66295269-9ECA-4075-8896-CFBA27A1D8A5_1_105_c.jpg
    Keeping legs clean

2DB6A83B-69C8-4DA7-BC39-7D6BFD9C7165_1_105_c.jpg

Hector in his drying coat, I love the freckles one because it has a large chest piece which most don't and my two have very hairy chesticles, but I wish I had gone with the funnel neck option.

A6D5CBBF-5C51-46DC-B4CD-5C8D163D510B.jpeg

10. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

Thank you so much for everyone’s suggestions.I’m going to check out the different makes of suits ,drying coats and bags mentioned.Thank you for the photos @tabelmabel and @MontyMaude , your dogs all look so handsome in their clothes.:).I suspect I’m going to end up using a mix of suits for very muddy walks and drying robe after a wet ( but less muddy) route and for after baths of course. I’m not sure how he’d be being wrapped up in a bag, I’ll need to think about that, but obviously it’s another option. Off to check things out. I love browsing dog items.:D

#10 Bette, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    tabelmabel, Torin. and MontyMaude like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice