Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drying dog after muddy walk

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bendymavis, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Bendymavis

Bendymavis PetForums Newbie

Help I am new to the forum , not sure if I've posted in right place.
    My 10 month cockerpoo Rex bites when I try to dry him after a walk.
    I have tried to wait until he has calmed down , tried treats and ignored him.
    Any advice or ideas would be most grateful

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Put him in a pen or secure area lined with old towels to dry off.

3. Bendymavis

Thankyou for advice
    Only area is his crate and he sleeps there at night so don't want to use that.
    I don't have a extra spare room either that he can dry off in so it's a bit difficult.

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

You can buy towelling coats for dogs that are basically like a dressing gown, but for dogs!
    I think it's a training and husbandry issue. I'd be doing lots of picking feet up and giving a treat, picking up a towel and treating etc etc. Get him thinking that good stuff happens when you touch him and when you pick up his feet.

Torin., Jason25 and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Trouble is if he really objects to being towelled down it could cause ongoing issues if you force it upon him.

You can buy folding pens relatively cheaply or maybe put a baby gate at the kitchen door to lay towels down?

It’s worth working with him over time using treats/praise etc. to desensitise him.

Look at kikopup, positively.com and thecanineconsultants.co.uk for tips on how to do that.

Jason25 and Sarah H like this.
  6. Sarah H

Completely.
    I'd invest in a nice towelling robe, a pen, and a couple of those noodle mats that he can lie on to dry off. You can then do the husbandry training separately when you don't actually need to dry him off.

Bendymavis, Jason25 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A filled Kong or snuffle mat will help him settle too :)

Bendymavis, Jason25 and Sarah H like this.
  8. Bendymavis

Thanks for advice , I had Rex from my granddaughter whose circumstances changed and she hasn't trained him in some areas.
    He also had a bad experience at his first groomers which really scared him.
    The strange thing is that when he is next to me and relaxing in the evening he will let me brush and groom him with no problems?

9. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I keep mine in the kitchen until feet are clean. Makes cleaning up a lot easier.

Not sure how but I’ve turned cleaning feet into some sort of a game called ‘footsy rubs’ (sounds ridiculous right :Hilarious) and she will run into the towel, I place it over her and start rubbing her feet legs and belly. Once done I start rubbing the top of her coat then chuck the towel over her head and rough her face up with it which is her favourite bit. While I’m doing all this I keep an exciting voice giving lots of praise with a biscuit at the end. I’ve just rinsed/repeated that and now she comes to me to have them cleaned when I say it lol.

Torin., Bendymavis, Kaily and 2 others like this.
  10. Bendymavis

Thanks Jason this sounds like something I could try.
    I think Rex thinks I am playing when I dry him and I am happy to turn it into a game ( I won't pinch your name for it lol ) it's just the biting. I know its playful but he gets over excited and nips quite hard .

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would hold him firmly against my body so he feels secure and get on and do it with loads of fuss and a game afterwards. I wash feet in an old washing up bowl to get the mud off them.

Torin., Bendymavis and Sarah H like this.
  12. Sarah H

I have one by the back door and feet all get dipped after a muddy walk.

@Bendymavis try wiping his feet when they aren't muddy first, and put a word to it (I use feeties so they know what I'm doing). I also alternate feet wiping with body rubs, even if the body isn't wet and muddy they enjoy that bit so can tolerate the foot wiping better! Try and keep it calm, as you say he's a bit excited by it and thinks it's a fun game. So start wiping (again practice when you don't actually need to do it!) and stop and stand up if there's any silliness. Then go back when he's calmed down again.

13. Bendymavis

Thankyou

14. Bendymavis

Thanks for advice I will give a try

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice