Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry skin.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Smiler, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Smiler

Smiler PetForums Junior

One of my 6 month old BSH boys called Buxton seems to have slightly dry skin, his fur seems dry at the base, and sometime I find little flecks of skin/dandruff. Also, the corners of his nose and eyes seem a bit dry (his brother seems to have a v soft nose and his fur/skin is v soft and looks more nourished). Is there something I can to to help Buxton? Or am I just being an over protective Mum. I have ezcema and I know what I eat makes a different, and also supplements like Oil of Evening Primrose or Aloe Vera juice really really help.

I did wonder if it was something in his food - he eats mostly Bozita with the odd sachet of Felix As Good As It Looks Kitten (I know this isn't what I would call good food but because Bozita isn't always easy to get hold of so we made the decision to feed a commercial food v occassionally incase we ever had a delay in sourcing Bozita). They also eat raw mince beef and a small handful of pellets which is a mix of Royal Cannin Kitten 36 and the 65% chicken Purely pellets from P@H.

Any advice would be v welcome.
    Bev x

P.S heres Buxton to say hello (his brother Edison is showing off his spotty tummy in the back ground):[​IMG]

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What gorgeous cats you have Bev! :001_wub:

A lot of commercial (and raw) food don't contain enough fatty acids (omega 3), so he could simply have a slight deficiency. Salmon oil a couple of times a week or a course of evening primrose oil for a week on and off would do wonders I imagine.

3. Smiler

Smiler PetForums Junior

Thanks Hobbs2004, we are so happy with my boys, they're both beautiful with the most amazing temperaments and very importantly they are brilliant with my house bunnies. :)

I'll look for some salmon oil to start with then - how much should I give him? and I assuming he'll probably just lick it off a teaspoon else I'll 'hide' it in some mince beef!

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just sprinkle it on their food. I get capsules and use about 2 capsules a week for two cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice