UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maisy, my new labradoodle pup stinks. She is kennel reared and smells of stinky pee!!!

She is 15 weeks today and I got her 2 days ago.

Shall I just chuck her in the bath or get some dry shampoo?

Opinions, recommendations of products or nose plastic surgeons.... please!

G

·
A gentle wipe with a wet cloth for now, maybe working up towards a bath in a week or two?

I'm not a fan of dry shampoos personally, I find they just mask the smell and don't actually clean.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I'm all for wet baths myself as well. However it must be done carefully to avoid an aversion later. I can't give much advice on that though. I know Benny's baths normally consist only of swimming in a nearby river.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah - I'd rather cleanthan mask too! Bit like cleaning your house instead of just febreezing everywhere!!

Have wiped her with a baby wipe - its slightly better :)

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I would bath her - warm water, mild shampoo, kept indoors until fully dry.

However, I'd be disgusted at the breeder - letting pups live in conditions where they are clearly having to sit/sleep in their own urine :mad:

And then not even making any effort to clean them up before going to their new homes :mad:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However, I'd be disgusted at the breeder - letting pups live in conditions where they are clearly having to sit/sleep in their own urine :mad:

And then not even making any effort to clean them up before going to their new homes :mad:
No - its not like she was in dirty conditions; its like when your dog comes back from kennels and they have that smell. There were 9 pups in total, so thats a lot of pup to be bounding about a kennel. I would prefer a pup to smell than for it to be bathed and be cold in the outdoor kennel.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
No - its not like she was in dirty conditions; its like when your dog comes back from kennels and they have that smell. There were 9 pups in total, so thats a lot of pup to be bounding about a kennel. I would prefer a pup to smell than for it to be bathed and be cold in the outdoor kennel.
Surely the breeder could have bathed/dried the pup and then kept her in the house until you picked her up?

I give mine proper baths with shampoo, didn't even know they did dry shampoo for dogs. Lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
When we got our puppy he really smelt. We put him in the bath with warm water and gave him his favourite waterproof toy and the rubber ducks for kids that were on the side of the bath!! Now he loves having a bath! we even find him trying to get in the bath when there is no water in it!!!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Put her on lead and take her to the bath with treats and introduce her calmly to it so she doesn't see the bath as a bad experience. Might be nicer for her if you use a jug for the water rather than a shower head as its not so scary.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I now have one seriously stinky dog, and one not so stinky dog....

smelly maisy has been baby wiped to an inch of her life.

Holly has rolled in fox poo :rolleyes5:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.