Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry puppy food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by silverhorse, Aug 7, 2009.

1. silverhorse

silverhorse PetForums Member

I have bought a poodle puppy which has been fed on mainly beef mince and chicken and am struggling to get her to eat biscuit to vary her diet. She is 7 weeks old, a good eater and is good weight but I am worried she is not getting enough vitamins. How can I get her to eat quality dry food.

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Hi, have you tried mixing the dry food with the meat? When I first got my pup he would only eat dry food if it was soaked in warm water first so it was soft he also had a bit of mince mixed in as this what his breeder had done and he wasn't able to pick the meat out of the soft food. You can then gradually reduce the amount you soften the food by until it is dry.

3. silverhorse

Thanks Bex. I will try that out today:)

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok question, toy, miniature or standard? I have a toy poodle :) Glad to see there are more poodle owners coming on :) Pictures?

Second of all, the puppy's teeth aren't that strong enough so giving it dry mix without moisture isn't good. I agree with the mixing it with puppy meat but what i would also do is boil a bit of water and add a little bit to the mix before mixing in the meat.

Hope that helps. If not don't listen to me lol! :p

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Use warm water from the tap boiled water kills the vitamins in the food.

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Now you tell me! Oh well........

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

:D well you know now we learn something new everyday on here dont we?:)

8. silverhorse

Paris is a miniature poodle, Photo here with Hunter the cat who is still scared of her and spits if she gets too close. We are still persivering to make them be friends. Do cats and dogs ever make real friends I wonder. Thanks everyone for the dry food advice.:)

Attached Files:

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

She is so cute makes me want to pick her up and steal her :)

I don't know about cats and dogs really, i've never owned a cat but if you want advice on the situation, go to the dog Training Section and post the topic on there, i'm sure someone can help you regarding training your dog and cat.

10. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Never heard that one before, I always use cooled boiled water to moisten the dogs food. Can I ask where you found out about that I'd be interested to read about it.

Terri

11. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Of course they can :D.
    My sisters g.s.d. Louie and Polly one of her cats.
    [​IMG]
    My dog and cat used to get on fine together as well, my cat was here before the dog was.

Terri

#11 Kinski, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  12. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I would put a few dry bic's into the food the dog is on now and gradually put a few more in each time. or soak them and then add them to its food. OR This is what i had to do with my pups.... put a few in between paper and batter them with a rolling pin and then put them into its food, each time reducing the battering so the bic's become a little bit bigger when its gets used to them. good luck

13. silverhorse

Thanks everyone. I am winning now with the dry biscuit broken up but the cat still spits at the dog , It will just take time I suppose to make friends . I liked the photo of the dog and cat. I once had an alsation that would catch my cat in a mid air jump and then put her back on the floor without hyurting her. They used to chase around all the time.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice