Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dry food!!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kiara, Aug 13, 2009.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

hi all i am completely confused as to what is best. i have 7 cats ranging from 8 weeks to 2 years. i have tried jwb and arden grange which are great but are to expensive for me. i want to buy from sainsburys as i get my shopping delivered from there and dont want to pay more del cost from buying the food from another company. here are my options;

Go-Cat Complete Cat Food
    Ingredients
    Cereals (min. 4% Corn in the Yellow Pellets), Meat and Animal Derivatives, Oils and Fats, Fish and Fish Derivatives (min 4% Herring in Red-Brown Pellets and min 4% Tuna in Light-Brown Pellets), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Minerals, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Yeasts, Vegetables (min. 4% Green Vegetables in Green Pellets and min. 4% Carrots in Orange Pellets), With antioxidants, coloured with and preserved with EC additives.

Iam's Cat Food
    Ingredients
    Chicken Meal, Maize, Wheat, Animal Fat, Ocean Fish, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Digest, Dried Whole Egg, Potassium Chloride, Brewer's Dried yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Oil, DL-Methionine, Sodium Chloride

Purina One
    Ingredients
    Salmon (16%), Rice (14%), Dehydrated Poultry Proteins, Maize Gluten Meal, Maize, Wheat, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Wheat Gluten Meal, Liver Digest, Yeasts, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Minerals, DL-Methionine, Sodium Chloride.

Sainsbury's Complete
    Ingredients
    Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Oils and Fats, Fish and Fish Derivatives (min 4% Tuna in the brown fish, min 4% Salmon in the red fish), Vegetables, Minerals, Milk and Milk Derivatives, Yeasts, Molluscs and Crustacea (min 4% Shrimp in the red stick). With antioxidants, coloured and preserved with EC additives.

Whiskas Complete Cat Food
    Ingredients
    Cereals (min 4%), Meat and Animal Derivatives (min 4% Meat in the Meaty Nuggets Filling), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and Fats, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Minerals, Fish and Fish Derivatives (min 4% Tuna in the Medium Brown Kibbles), Vegetables (min 4% Carrots in the Orange Kibbles, min 4% Peas in the Green Kibbles).

thanks in advance for any advice.
    xx

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the above. If you want to get foods from Sainsburys then go for the wet alternatives. Any would be better than dry biscuits. I am not sure which ones fit into your budget, but you can get HiLife and Encore from there, both of which have a high meat content.

3. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

hi thanks, hilife looks great but how much would i need to buy?
    here are there weights
    4.2kg neutered
    3.8kg due to be neutered
    2,8kg neutered
    2,7kg neutered
    2,2kg neutered
    and 2 8 week kittens

4. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

here is what the packet says,
    Hilife Ocean Pouch Assortment 12x100g
    Feeding Guide.

Individual cats' requirements vary according to their age, breed and level of activity. As a guide, an average adult cat (4kg) should be fed 2-3 pouches of HiLife per day in at least 2 meals. Always ensure your cat has access to plenty of fresh drinking water.

thank you xx

5. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

If I had to pick one from those, I'd pick Iams. It has been recommended to me by a lot of my friends.
    I have a kitten with a weak stomach so I've got all my cats eating select gold sensitive and they love it (thankfully) Its expensive but I buy in bulk. If possible go for a more nutritious like select gold or royal canin - should be available in most pet stores/vets

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Put IAMs cruelty into Google. It may change your mind. I can't look at them :(

7. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I wouldnt feed any of those you listed! I agree with Saikou, I'd go for wet food, like Hi Life, Encore, both available from Sainsbury's. Dry food is dehydrating, and full of carbohydrates (notice the abundance of cereals in the ingredients - wheat, maize etc plus veggies - none of which cats need in their diet). If I had to choose out of any of those it would be the Purina One, which at least has 16% salmon - but I still wouldnt feed only dry food. :)

8. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

hi life & encore are expensive so you could but them and also some fresh meats to cook for them. they often have buy 1 get 1 free on their meats etc..

9. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi-Life is £4.99 for a box of 12 pouches in a variety of flavours and with 60% meat content is a very good wet food to choose. Felix and Whiskas aren't that much cheaper and they only have a 4% meat content.

I would feed kitten/younger cats around 3-4 pouches per day and adult cats 3 pouches per day if on exclusively wet food. If you intend on using dry food as well then reduce it by one sachet. All cats are different and may need more or less than this but it will be a good basis to start, if they start leaving it then you know to put less down.

Sharon
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice