Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dry food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Carolinarodrigues01, May 25, 2019.

1. Carolinarodrigues01

Carolinarodrigues01 PetForums Junior

5E346547-DA47-4506-AE22-F33ABB7D2411.jpeg 774D27A1-A192-4E4E-9B2D-CE5917B85EF7.jpeg do you think this is a good quality dry food? some people in the forum pointed out that pedigree isn’t good so i’m trying to make the switch to something better.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

There isn't a massive meat content and the maize is quite high - maize is used as a filler as it's quite cheap.

Have you seen www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk ?

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) on a scale of 0 to 5. You can set filters for your dog's weight, age etc and choose to view only the foods scoring, say, 4 and above. Then you can show them listed according to daily feeding cost so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

3. Carolinarodrigues01

Carolinarodrigues01 PetForums Junior

i ended up asking a vet and he said the same, it’s not better than pedigree :/. i’ve tried that website but i’m not from the uk so most of the food that’s there isn’t available here unfortunately.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Ah, that could be harder then. What I look for is a decent meat content, with it specifically named like beef or chicken, not just generic meat or meat meal. A lot of people avoid grains as they are hard for dogs to digest - basically they come back out the other end as enormous smelly poos and give little nutritional benefit (if any at all). I currently feed a food that has a small amount of grain because my dog does really well on this food. And that actually is the important thing - if your dog does well on it, it's fine. If you see other foods that you want us to comment on, feel free to put up more pictures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice