Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dry food question, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tezwik, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

Ok I will look at that one again though I did look at it before and must have been some reason I didn’t go for it. Cheers.

2. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

I was advised not to feed her biscuits with fish ingredients.

3. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Junior

By whom? And why?

sandy-cat likes this.
  4. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

By the person who was looking after her at the time and wanted to re-home her. Contradictoraly she likes pilchards in tomato sauce though only a very small amount. Don’t know what to think. I have heard our local radio vet say that fish can cause allergies in cats though.

5. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

One more thing I would like to mention. My first cat never had dried food all his life and was a hunter. He would catch and eat mice and birds on a regular basis and I only fed wet food. Back at that time, in the early seventies it was not the good stuff you can get now I must say. He was put to sleep at thirteen and a half with kidney disease so all this stuff about dried food causing that doesn’t really add up to me.

6. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

By the way this is a marvellous forum with lots of good information, I am delighted to be on it now. I just want to thank all who have taken an interest in my quest.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is one of the common diseases our domestic cats as a species are prone to get in old age. Our cats have the biological ability to concentrate their urine, an ability they inherited from their desert ancestors. A very useful ability in the desert, where water is short, but one that is hard on the kidneys.

Some cats never get CKD, and that probably has to be due to their genetic inheritance. Instead they may get one of the other common chronic diseases of senior cats. Your first cat was very unlucky to have to be pts at only 13 yrs old due to CKD. :(

All my cats, past and present, have been fed a 100% wet food diet, but a number of them have died in old age of CKD (one died at 14, the others at 17, 18 or 20).

A wet food diet does not automatically protect the cat from getting CKD, though it may perhaps delay the appearance of symptoms of the disease by keeping the kidneys well flushed through. One thing most vets seem to agree on is that when a cat has been diagnosed with CKD the cat should be on a wet food diet from then on, so as to help kidney function.

It is not that dry food causes CKD per se, but that dry food can cause bladder problems due to a chronic low level of dehydration. Struvite crystals can develop in the bladder because the bladder is not being well flushed out regularly due to the cat's low fluid intake. Keeping the body short of fluids makes the kidneys work even harder and this is not healthy for the cat long term.

But it is not just the lack of moisture in dry food that makes it a bad choice for cats. Dry food is also very high in carb content, far too high for a cat's "natural" diet which would be very low in carbs. A cat does not have the ability to process carbs in the way that humans or dogs can, and as a result such a high level of carbs means their glycemic index is constantly high on a dry food diet. The part of their body that processes carbs/sugars is constantly 'switched on' which places a heavy load on the pancreas, and is a risk for Diabetes Type 2.

One of the best experts on the subject of why dry food is unsuitable for cats is Lisa Pierson, veterinarian and feline nutrition guru.

https://catinfo.org/

p.s. Glad you are liking the forum. :)

Bast, Saffy Cat and Tootsie like this.
  8. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Junior

I think any ingredient can cause an allergy in cats, just like it can in humans. For instance, although it may be a rare reaction, I am almost certain rosemary extract (in dry food) is the culprit of my cat's recent chronic diarrhoea, and therefore she won't be getting that again!

You only have to look at the cat food market in general to see that it is at least 50% fish-based. I do give my cat fish, but not all of the time.

9. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Sandy now has Lily's Kitchen dry food VERY occasionally. The ingredients aren't bad for dry food and it is strong smelling which seems to appeal (he refuses other dry foods). I can't recommend dry food over wet, but a good dry food with high protein content is better than a bad dry food made up of carbs: https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/for-cats/food-for-cats/shop-by-product-type/dry-food

Thrive dry food is better in that it's even higher protein, but I only suggest Lily's Kitchen because it is so strong smelling that your cat might go for it.

10. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

Oh thank you very much. I am at my wits end what to give her. She is on Iams at the moment as it is better than what she came to us on (Whiskas senior). She likes that ok. I looked at Lilly’s Kitchen as well so when I next go for some I will possibly get that. She is 9 years old and won’t even eat cooked chicken drumstick which I did for her last night. She is the strangest cat we have ever had as all the others loved cooked chicken. I am very doubtful that I can get her just on wet food now. As you say it is better to have a good dried one so that is what I am aiming for plus the odd tit bit of ours if she will eat it. She is fine and healthy at present but it is her future health that worries me. I have stopped those Felix pouches as well as they are rubbish and she stopped eating them herself recently, good job eh!

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No those ingredients are cheap filler, cats just poop it out. In addition, especially on a dry diet, they will eventually cause a lot of problems with the cat's digestion.

Even crappy wet food is better than any dry food though so I do hope you will eventually get your cats onto an all wet diet.

sandy-cat likes this.
  12. Tootsie

Tootsie PetForums Newbie

Hi, I only have one cat by the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice