Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry food or wet food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by jodiem, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jodiem

jodiem PetForums Newbie

Hello! I've noticed more and more dry food available in supermarkets, including those you can add water to. I've usually given my dogs wet food. Is dry food better? And if so, which is best? I am looking for one that is reasonably priced! Jx :D

2. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

They say what you feed them is totally your choice.When i first picked my pup up she was on meat, at first this was ok,till along came the wind, both my dogs are very windy and the meat just makes it unbearable in the house.
    I graually changed mine to royal canin, it was very expensive and personaaly there better products that would have just done the job but alot cheaper.I was told that the amount of protein in the puppy food is the most important think as this is what makes them grow.My puppy food has about 30% protein which is very good there is a little less in adult foods think that its normally around 21%.

Pet stores do have a very good range of testers, sample packs for you to try rather than getting a big bag and your dog doesnt like it. I doont think i woulud ever change from dry food as its perfect for them.The adding of water is up to you too, they say put a bowl down too but i found that she filled up on the water so i started to add about an inch from the bottom of the bowl, its a drink for them and the dry bits are doing the teeth some good too.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive always fed dry food with a little water, i feed burns its an excellent puppy and adult food, produced by john burns a vet and he promotes slow growth in puppies so a lower protein content. High protein that is found mainly in the supermarket/commercial foods have a high protein that can lead to fast growth so incouraging skeletal problems and hyperactivity.

4. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

HI all,
    sorry to intrude.
    I'm new and still not fully aware of the etiquette of forum...however the debate wet or dry has taken up a lot of my time in the past and i wanted to share my opinion/experience:

Wet food is 70% - or more - water...to feed a large dog (30+ kilograms) on that you'll need around or more than 1 kg of food per day to supply your dog's needs. this is 1) very expensive, 2) put under stress the tummy and 3) -by consequence- produces excessive amount of smelly poo (with the problem that can cause to the dog to pass it several times a day and whoever picks it up).

In my opinion the best way to feed our companions is to vary their diet as much as possible and i use dry food and cook for them (once a week and then freeze the lot). their bowls is usually 1/2 of dry food, and 1/2 of mix of meat, vegetables and rice (I do not use onion obviously) sometimes i add stale bread and some gravy. (fresh and clean water should always be available either with dry or wet food).

I suppose that for small dogs wet food can be fine (but still, in proportion, the problem will be the same); for puppies, especially of large breeds, i am planning of applying the same principles that's working so well with the mother and "aunty", except puppy food goes in the blender with added puppy formula milk and water .

In choosing their feed, i always look for small and independent companies that have some sort of arrangement with vet colleges for trying their products on a long-ish term basis. there is only a little number of these companies left in the UK, however they are still out there! the problem with these companies is that they have a network of suppliers very underdeveloped and more often than not i have to buy over the internet.

At the moment and for quite some time, i am buying Sneyd's Wonderdog, the company is based in Doncaster and has a range of very high quality food, without additives. the only draw back is that the BestBefore date is not as long as the high-street brands (that's because Sneyd;s does not contain any additives) so you cannot buy in bulk. however the price is extremely competitive (about £10-£12 pound for 15kg for adult dogs) and a bit more expensive for puppies and juniors.

By the Way, i am in no way connected with this company, or any other company, for that matter...i just like their products.

I hope this contribution helps in the choice!

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

looks ok but i cant find the ingredient list.

6. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

just give the company a ring they usually are very polite (there is an "ingredient list and a "content list" on the back of the package).

i.e. puppy and junior:
    ingredients:
    puoltry meat meal, rice, barley, maize, poultry oils and fats, corn gluten meal, full fat lineseed, minerals, vitamins, dry skimmed milk, dried brewers yeast, inulin
    nutritional value:
    protein 29%, oil 15%, fiber 2.5%, ash 7%, vitamin A 15,000 iu/kg, vitamin D 2,000 iu/kg, vitamin E 70 iu/kg, copper 5mg/kg.

just read from the bag...

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

The food I feed my pair on is a more expensive food ( Orijen ) but as it's a very good food ( if not the best ) it actually works out cheaper to feed it as you don't need to feed as much of it as you would a poorer quality food. It's costing me £2.50 a week to feed my two shelties.

Terri

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Dry for mine :D

9. jodiem

jodiem PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've decided to feed the dogs with the dry food. After having a chat with the vet, it seemed the better option, and you can always add a little water! ;)

10. Jonathan Davies

Jonathan Davies PetForums Newbie

Labrador skin problems solved!!

Hi, everyone. I have a Labrador who had a lot of problems with his skin, I have tried a lot dog foods that my vet pushed me onto. It was costing me a fortune!!! and his skin didnt seem to get any better. I then tried some delta Premium product called Adult Lamb & Rice which said it was special for dogs with skin problems. I’ve got to say it worked really well, he’s not scratching half as much. Thought id share this with you guys because its a lot cheaper the foods that i use to use and it works!!!

I got it from some place called petsahead.co.uk. Link below. Petsahead.co.uk - Online Pet Supplies

11. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

I feed my dog dry too. Royal Canin Sensible.

12. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice