UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chester is currently fed F4D dry food, but with the change in recipe (for which they're still asking the same price) I'm on the market for a new food. I had intended to simply move him over to Fishmongers, but its been suggested to me that I should look for something with a lower protein content.

I work a minimum of ten hours a day, and while Chester accompanies me as an office dog it does mean that he gets less exercise during the week than I would like, especially with the short daylight hours. While I don't believe that protein levels are really linked to behavioural issues, it does make sense that a high protein level might contribute more energy, which he isn't really burning 5 days out of 7.

Annoyingly, I'm finding it hard to find a low protein food that is still a decent standard (no/ low cereal + grain content, hypoallergenic, etc). Chester has allergies that I'm still trying to get to the bottom of, so I'd prefer something fish based until I know that other meats aren't a contributing factor. Thus so far, I've narrowed it down to:

SKINNERS SALMON & RICE

Composition
Whole rice (40%), salmon meal (17.5% dry weight), naked oats, peas, sunflower oil, whole linseed,
beet pulp, vitamins and minerals.

Additives
Nutritional additives per kg:
Vitamin A 13,000 iu, Vitamin D3 2,000 iu,
Vitamin E (as alpha-tocopherol acetate) 310 iu.
Trace Elements per kg: Iron (as ferrous sulphate monohydrate) 40mg, Iodine (as calcium iodate anhydrous) 1.5mg, Copper (as cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 5mg, Manganese (as manganous oxide) 25mg, Zinc (as zinc oxide) 100mg (as zinc chelate of amino acids hydrate) 30mg, Selenium (as sodium selenite) 0.4mg.
Contains tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin (Vitamin E) as EC permitted antioxidant.

Analytical Constituents
Crude Protein 20%
Crude Oils & Fats 12%
Crude Fibres 3.5%
Crude Ash 5.5%
CSJ CP21

Analytical Constituents

Crude Protein 21.00%
Crude Oil and Fats 12.00%
Crude Fibres 2.50%
Crude Ash 6.00%
Moisture 8.50%
Omega 6 1.88%
Omega 3 1.04%
Calcium 1.04%
Phosphorus 0.73%
Glucosamine 370mg/kg
Methylsulfonlymethane 370mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulphate 260mg/kg

Composition

26% Fresh Salmon, Whole White Rice, Corn, Fish Meal, Barley, Chicken Fat, Oats, Minerals, Brewers Yeast, Beet Pulp, Whole Linseed, Salmon Gravy, Salmon Oil, Vitamins, Glucosamine, Methylsulfonylmethane, Chondroitin Sulphate, Herbs.

Nutritional Additives

Vitamins: Vitamin A (as retinyl acetate) 15,000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 2,250 IU/kg; Vitamin E 100 IU/kg; Trace Elements: Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 167mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 139 mg/kg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 109 mg/kg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 60 mg//kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.64 mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 0.67 mg/kg.
and

WAINWRIGHTS

Salmon Fish Meal (26%), Potato Starch ( 26%), Sorghum (19%), Barley (10%), Rapeseed Oil (7%), Sugar Beet Pulp (6%), Whole Linseed (4%), Alfalfa (1%), Minerals (includes Yucca Extract 200mg.kg, Marigold Meal 50mg/kg, Rosemary Extract 5mg/kg), Seaweed (0.5%)

Additives: Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A 17,00 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 2,00 IU/kg, Vitamin E (a-Tocopherol) 550mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 200mg/kg, Manganese Oxide 156mg/kg, Iron Sulphate Monohydrate 97mg/kg, Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate 20mg/kg, Selenised Yeast, inactivated 8.7mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 6.5mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.3mg/kg, Calcium 2.78mg/kg, Phosphorus 1.37mg/kg, Omega 6 4.52 mg/kg, Omega 3 1.11mg/kg.
Wainwrights is by far the most expensive but seems to have the best ingredients. CSJ comes highly recommended but I can't seem to find feeding guidelines, and some reviews say their dogs gained weight on it (Chester is pretty much in perfect condition). Skinners is the cheapest, and yet many people seem to swear by it. I also considered Burns, but it seems ridiculously expensive for what you get.

HELP! It's all giving me a right headache. :001_unsure: Does anyone have experience with any of these foods, or even better suggestions? Budget is also a factor.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about the higher protein levels, if your dog doesn't get much exercise some days, just feed less those days.

Fishmongers is higher protein but it is better ingredients than all of the above.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really wouldn't worry about the higher protein levels, if your dog doesn't get much exercise some days, just feed less those days.

Fishmongers is higher protein but it is better ingredients than all of the above.
I would agree (and certainly do agree about the ingredients), but Chester is like a stomach on legs. Feeding smaller portions makes him hungrier and more prone to scavenging.

Autarky do a salmon and rice that maybe worth a look at
Thanks, just looking at it now. My only concern is that the ingredients list seems to contain... well, a lot. With a dog suffering undetermined allergies (as of yet) I don't know whether a more limited ingredients list might be better?

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
Fishmongers.

Wouldn't touch Autarky, far too many scary things in their ranges. :(

If he has allergies, go cereal free. I removed the bran from Bear's diet this week and the skin issues have all but vanished.

Have you ever considered raw?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to go raw, but no freezer space and I don't think the rest of the family would appreciate me taking up what we have with stuff for the dog. :p

Funnily enough (though not really) Chester's allergies haven't lessened at all from being on a cereal-free diet these last couple of months. Very frustrating.

Fishmongers is a good food, but I would like to try something with a lower protein level to see if it has any effect on his mellowness/ reactivity issues.

A supplier I know is getting me some CSJ samples, but I'm really not sold on it from the composition (corn? no thanks). Which makes me lean towards Skinners. :001_unsure:

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
I've fed Skinners (Duck & Rice) for years and have found it fantastic - we always feed a working dog food and Ben was wheat intolerant so had to hunt around when I got him.

Had horrendous time getting Maisie's tum to settle (she has Colitis) when she came and eventually managed with JWB Fish & Rice but I've never personally been a fan of the brand and think it's hideously overpriced for what it is!

We've spent the past month transitioning onto Skinners Salmon & Rice (very, very slowly!) and, fingers & everything crossed, it's gone really well (now up to 70 S / 30 JWB mix) and her tum's still fine, coat is amazing and shiny, poops are firm:)

I did look at the WW as well - and have fed the Turkey & Rice to Ben in the past & again it's a great food. But it's a lot more expensive than the Skinners and if you look at the ingredients list of say the Duck & Rice, there's not a lot in it for an extra £15+ a bag!).

However, I really wanted to stick to Rice as I know that agrees with her and didn't want to rock the boat too much!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the reply, it's good hearing from someone that uses the food, especially for a dog with a sensitive tum. I think I'm inclined to give Skinners a try and see how Chester takes it. :001_smile:

·
Registered
16,253 Posts
Thank you for the reply, it's good hearing from someone that uses the food, especially for a dog with a sensitive tum. I think I'm inclined to give Skinners a try and see how Chester takes it. :001_smile:
Hope it works for you :) - I would say that we have done the transition very, very slowly as her tum is so iffy and would suggest the same (and much slower than you would for a "normal" dog IYKWIM) for Chester so it doesn't upset things and you end up back at square one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really nice talking about dry foods for dogs, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about dry foods for dogs, guys, before read this thread, i have no proper information about dry foods for dogs but after read this thread, i have some proper information about dry foods for dogs, it's really nice guys, and keep it up...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for the replies, everyone.

Both Arden Grange and Vet's Kitchen are good foods but a bit on the expensive side. I've looked at Symply too.

Also been considering Naturediet wet trays. Seems a very good food but I've never fed a purely wet diet before. :001_huh:

Seems as soon as I narrow down the options more pop up!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Chester is currently fed F4D dry food, but with the change in recipe (for which they're still asking the same price) I'm on the market for a new food. I had intended to simply move him over to Fishmongers, but its been suggested to me that I should look for something with a lower protein content.

I work a minimum of ten hours a day, and while Chester accompanies me as an office dog it does mean that he gets less exercise during the week than I would like, especially with the short daylight hours. While I don't believe that protein levels are really linked to behavioural issues, it does make sense that a high protein level might contribute more energy, which he isn't really burning 5 days out of 7.

Annoyingly, I'm finding it hard to find a low protein food that is still a decent standard (no/ low cereal + grain content, hypoallergenic, etc). Chester has allergies that I'm still trying to get to the bottom of, so I'd prefer something fish based until I know that other meats aren't a contributing factor. Thus so far, I've narrowed it down to:

SKINNERS SALMON & RICE

CSJ CP21

and

WAINWRIGHTS

Wainwrights is by far the most expensive but seems to have the best ingredients. CSJ comes highly recommended but I can't seem to find feeding guidelines, and some reviews say their dogs gained weight on it (Chester is pretty much in perfect condition). Skinners is the cheapest, and yet many people seem to swear by it. I also considered Burns, but it seems ridiculously expensive for what you get.

HELP! It's all giving me a right headache. :001_unsure: Does anyone have experience with any of these foods, or even better suggestions? Budget is also a factor.
We feed CSJ to our lab x springer pup and he is doing well on it with a nice steady growth. Feeding guidelines are on the website when you click on which food you are interested in the feeding amounts are listed. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Hi,
I'm not sure if you feed a proportion of wet already but wet definitely gets my vote. A much more natural feed than kibble. For me dogs should be fed what's natural to them. As a compromise, I would feed wet and dry at a push kibble mixed with a bit of wet and a lot of water.

There's a lot of good quality wet's out there. Have a look at the sticky here and perhaps Whichdogfood site. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.