Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry food for tooth health

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jano432, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hi

Took my female cat who is 3 next month for her booster jabs today.

Had her a year and she has gained weight since I have had her and she is now 5.48 kilos (she was 4.87 when I first had her), so each visit I am told that I must watch her weight and to ensure she gains no more.

Anyway, today I was also told that she had a little tartar on her back teeth at the one side and the vet suggested dried food with the tooth health symbol. The vet said that she feeds only this and that her 5 year old cat shows no signs of tooth problems.

I have had cats all my life (60 years) and I am not a great fan of feeding completely dried food as cats do not drink much liquid. I do give her a few Iams biscuits each day, I also use the sound of them in the packet to get her in the house if she is outside. The wet food I give her is the gourmet perle sachets and she has between 2 and 4 a day. She will not eat chicken, fish or the likes (I have just given her some tinned salmon left over and she had a couple of mouthfuls and left the rest.) She does not spend much time outside and when she does mostly its just sitting and so doesn't get much exercise apart from tearing around the house from time to time. I have bought her all manner of toys which she is indifferent to so she doesn't play much apart from chasing passing legs!

My question is if I give her the dried tooth health biscuits, say half dry and half wet, does anyone have any idea what kind of quantities I would use to maintain or even reduce her weight a little? What do folk recommend and is it possible to get hold of any samples so that I can try her before purchasing?

Thank you

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Dry food and dental health is a myth,where it comes from ,heaven only knows.
    You are correct in thinking that dry food is not a great idea for cats as they are not natural drinkers so rarely drink enough to compensate for the lack of fluid in the diet.
    Have a read of this sticky it explains much better than I can.
    Raw food is probably the best thing you can try if your cat will eat it.
    A lot of members on PF feed raw chicken wings to help keep their cats teeth healthy,sadly my lad doesn't see this as food :rolleyes:
    ........http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/does-dry-food-clean-the-teeth/

ETA Meant to add that dry food is often the cause of being overweight in cats too,so another black mark against it.

#2 buffie, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    maisiecat and chillminx like this.
  3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I agree cat just bite then swallow they do not chew dry food.

4. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Thanks both, exactly as I understood it and particularly about the cause of being overweight. I heard its like giving them MacDonald burger and chips!! I told the vet that with the munchies she currently has she only cracks them and then swallows but she said the tooth health biscuits are much bigger and have to be crunched. |No way would I feel all dry food for the reasons we have all agreed on. However I have looked at some of the reviews on the Hills td stuff and folk do say that their cats teeth, once advised to feed it, do not get any worse.

5. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

6. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Thanks soozi, I have ordered them. She bites anyway and so it may help with this too.

Soozi likes this.
  7. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

At least they won't make her fat! Lol! I might get some myself for Liddy!

8. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

LOL...mind you, cat nip does nowt for her...she is strange, never had one like this before. Wont eat chicken, fish or anything that normal cats like. I hope it works as I lost my last two cats, who made it to 20 with teeth problems.

Soozi likes this.
  9. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

I give our lot plaque off which does seem to keep the plaque at bay if they have clean teeth to start with. However, saying that they get them in their miamor cat confect, which they love to the extent that tara alerts me when it's time to be served!

10. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

My cat eats no dry food whatsoever and has no signs of dental problems either, so go figure!

Soozi likes this.
  11. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

We had a vet, would say 'have' as we are still registered but not going back there - the forcing of dry food on us is just one reason - that insisted on the dental food, along with insisting that dry food was good even for a constipated cat.

Poor little cat is tiny and struggled with the huge lumps of greasy coated cereal. I still have most of the bag we were forced to buy about 2 years ago because I forget it is there, must bin it. I tried her on them only because I have a problem finding anything she will eat and anything is better than nothing at all.

All dry will shatter on impact with teeth, and is of no benefit at all.

moggie14 likes this.
  12. DT

DT Banned

I don't personally, buy this dry is better then wet Lark, only my views, but have had two cats both living the same length of time virtually (19 and 21). Both were fed the same diet, the eldest, smokey when we lost him still had most of his teeth, he'd had a couple out but those left were in pretty good condition for his age,
    The younger cat, billy, who went to the bridge aged 19 if I recall you right only had three teeth left in his mouth, and the only reason the vet would not remove those two from the bottom was because he feared it could damage Billy's jaw (can't recall exact words)
    Both cats were fed the same, the only thing that we put it down to, and I could well be wrong, is that we picked billy up from a farm, an orphan aged around 4 weeks and reared him ourselves so maybe he missed out on some vital nutrients?.

13. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

It's like saying eating a hard biscuit keeps our teeth clean. Raw feeding for me with a good chew and uncooked bone.
    Dry causes issues down the line and takes fluid out of the bowel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice