Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry food for older Westie

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by HMB505, Jun 29, 2009.

1. HMB505

HMB505 PetForums Newbie

I've just gotten a westie rescued from a puppy mill and so unfortunately I don't know anything about her history or any previous medical issues or food allergies so I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some questions about dry food for her.

I feed my spaniel canine caviar brand dog food from the vet and have been feeding the westie (Susie) the same thing. My question is about the percentage protein desirable in a food for her. I had a shepherd mix that required a very low protein level (adult food as a puppy etc) and am worried about shocking poor Susie's system. We reckon she's about ten years old so I've been feeding her Special Needs Adult Dog Food for older dogs. Does anyone have a westie and have any recommendations or thoughts on dry food for them?

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I would go for burns as its totaly natural just incase she has a sensitive stomache its very good for the skin too i do know westies can suffer skin conditions, you can always ring their nutrition team they are very good.

3. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

HI, not sure about food,nature's diet do a sensitive one, maybe try this on her, but just wanted to say well done on rescueing the westie.:)

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i also recommend burns for westies as they are prone to skin problems. its also suitable for all ages of dogs and has a low protein level across the whole range.

i would see no reason to not put your other dog on burns as well, better to have them both on the same food. but as has already been suggested, they have a free phone number on their website and on their bags that you can call if you have any queries about anything. they are a very good company with very knowledgeable staff.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I assume (maybe incorrectly) that you are from the US?

6. HMB505

HMB505 PetForums Newbie

I'm from Scotland but I'm working the US this year :)

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It was the term puppy mill that made me think you were.

I think most of the foods suggested are only available in the UK. It may be worth looking for a US based forum, then they would be able to suggest some brands that would be available to you. I cant comment on what you are feeding, as im not familiar with them.

Just make sure you have a good look at the ingredients. Try to avoid any foods that are cereal/grain based, and that have animal derivatives. Meat should be the first primary protein source.. Avoid rubbish like Hills and Eukanuba, and Bakers (if you have that there) as they are full of harmful chemicals.

Im pretty sure you get Orijen over there, and this had had some great reviews.

Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice