Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry food causing bad breath

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Poppy171, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Poppy171

Poppy171 PetForums Newbie

#1 Poppy171, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. One Dog Training

One Dog Training PetForums Junior

Hi poppy this is my opinion and well it's getting much more popular, but always see and ask a vet first.

YES dry food does cause bad breath as over time the plaque sticks to the teeth and long term causes periodontal disease, dry food does not help dogs to use their gums and teeth how they're meant to be used...Ripping up flesh and chewing through bone, which in turn cleans their teeth and again makes them more healthy.

I've had a dog with no teeth switch to raw before and he was loving chicken wings WITH NO TEETH but his gums were healthier than ever compared to a lifetime of eating kibble.

But like i said it's my opinion, something i believe in but feel free to research yourself, a starting point could be a book called "Raw Meaty Bones" or "Grow your pups on bones"

Hope this helps.

wee man and niamh123 like this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It doesn't automatically follow that dry food gives a dog bad breath - poor dental hygene certainly can of course or a reaction to individual ingredients within the food or an inability to digest certain elements. But it's not the dry food itself (my dogs are kibble fed without an ounce of bad breath) it's the fact it needs to be brushed off their teeth and in regard to the op's dogs, it wouldn't follow that feeding wet for a few days (which is equally bad for teeth by the way) would change the breath smell.

To the op I would say, have your dogs teeth/gums checked at the Vet to see if there is any disease but if feeding wet cures the smell I suspect it is more likely that your dog is allergic to or unable to digest certain elements of the food you are trying. Intolerance is quite common.

It may be that going on to a raw diet would help your dog or you could talk to your Vet/a nutritionist to get to the bottom of the issue.

It may well be worth talking to your Vet about this anyway especially if the bad breath has suddenly come on.

If a dog is fed on any form of prepared diet (wet or dry) oral care is important and this can be achieved though the use of natural bones and other chew items and of course cleaning their teeth.

J

Burrowzig likes this.
  4. One Dog Training

The fact you say needs to be brushed off says to me it causes bad breath as it leads to bad oral hygiene but that's my opinion, but the whole dogs need their teeth brushing etc is ludicrous to me as that's what raw bones are for to clean their teeth, strengthen their gums and then the obvious nutritional side of things.

Yes I agree exactly that wet or dry "dog food" is not great feeding as my opinion again is it causes gum disease long term.

But exactly I recommend raw feeding but it may be the case it's not ideal for your dog

Woah and wee man like this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Another possibility is that your dog has lip folds and crumbs from the dry food are getting stuck, causing bacteria to grow (hence the bad ‘breath’). Wet food wouldn’t get stuck in the same way.

Mum2Heidi and lullabydream like this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have raw fed for many years with no issues apart from finding out through upset tums which proteins suit each of my dogs,I do promote raw feeding as all my dogs have done really well on it.But I have to say a Raw diet does not suit every dog

wee man and One Dog Training like this.
  7. One Dog Training

Yes this exactly, maybe 10% of my clients don't stick with the raw diet, sometimes it's the owners not wanting to, other times like above it doesn't suit that dog.

8. One Dog Training

With my dog I just stick with chicken carcass, two times a week feed tuna and then every other day add in a meal of eggs and veg. I used to feed the raw meat blocks but found my dog wasn't eating as much so switched to the carcass

9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

So if you are feeding chicken carcass mostly what % of bone are they having and just wondering do you feed any offal:)

10. One Dog Training

No idea what percent but if you read "Raw Meaty Bones" he recommends chicken Carcass as it's the ideal bone to meat ratio dogs needs...for puppies or smaller dogs start them on chicken wings.

I don't no just to simplify things as me and my family are vegetarian and i feel I'm doing best considering

11. One Dog Training

I also give her B12 supplement and tiny bit of garlic every now....also good to ward of fleas or tics

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Chicken carcasses, tuna and eggs isn’t a very balanced raw diet. 10% offal (5% liver and 5% other offal) is generally the accepted guideline, and ideally you would feed a range of proteins.

If you’re trying to simplify it why not feed a ‘premade’ raw that is already balanced?

Burrowzig, Mum2Heidi and lullabydream like this.
  13. One Dog Training

Feel you missed out a Iittle what I said. I also said I feed her raw leafy greens and veg, kale, spinach, broccoli, then certain fruits occasionally. Supplement with B12 and garlic. She also has food scraps daily

"Ideally you would feed a range of proteins" no not really, yes you can but it's not needed.

Well it's 100 times better than feeding any type of kibble (my opinion) and alot healthier too.

It's owners preference and how it fits into their lives as best as they can and I believe I'm feeding my dog a great diet in comparison. With clients if I can get them understanding raw and then hopefully transitioning to feeding raw, I don't expect them to be militant...flexibility is a great.

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

@One Dog Training I really suggest you read the raw feeing ‘sticky’ thread at the top of this section of the forum, particularly if you are advising other people on how to feed their dog. Appendix C of Raw Meaty Bones also has information on offal.

#14 McKenzie, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Burrowzig, O2.0, Mum2Heidi and 2 others like this.
  15. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I use chicken carcass's but always add some muscle meat a carcass alone is about 50%bone which is way too much that's probably why you are having to feed tuna in oil to stop constipation,have you tried raw fish for your dog it's much better for them than processed tuna,I also use green tripe on a daily basis the dogs love it and it's full of nutrients that they need:)

wee man and Mum2Heidi like this.
  16. One Dog Training

Yes I've also read raw meaty bones and I say it's my opinion and for them to check with a vet first. What I'm saying it's 100x better to feed how I'm feeding instead of dry or wet food. I stand by what I say and I think if personally from experience if you want people to accept the raw diet is to not force it down them and say you HAVE to do all or nothing and have a very militant approach about it.

My mentor who trained me also did it this way and still does...past 18 years and her dog never been to the vets and lived a good old age.

Like I've said before flexebility is great and if I can change someone thought process and maybe they just change one meal to raw I'm happy. But like I said in this post or another I encourage for them to self research raw diet as well.

Hope this helps, I'm not here to get into a forum argument or be a keyboard warrior just give my opinion and hopefully help out in some way. You seem very knowledgeable on the raw diet also so thank you for joining in and I appreciate your opinion as well...

#16 One Dog Training, Apr 29, 2019
  17. One Dog Training

If i just use solely chicken carcass and nothing else, then yes slight constipation but because i feed the egg and veg also this helps, but yeah the fish is good, not just tuna in sunflower oil, i give her mackerel and sardines.

Oh yes i forgot to mention i give her raw tripe mix twice a week as well...Hate the smell of it though :D

18. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Raw is my favourite and I successfully fed it for over 3 years. Initially premade minces then diy. 80%muscle(variety of meats) 10%bone 5%offal(liver and kidney). Bit of fruit/veg
    Sadly my dog had tummy problems involving acid reflux and I had to stop. Kibble was all that worked. 50% carbs at that. I wasn’t happy. In my head raw, wet, kibble in that order. Wet was no good either.
    To have my dog well again was a blessing and after 2 years on this kibble I got her onto Eden.
    Now I count my blessings that she has one of the best kibbles and a tiny bit of wet.

OP I hope you never run into problems with any of your dogs and have to settle for something less.
    It took a long while before I could read posts like yours criticising my choice of food without feeling second best and that my dear little dog was being fed second best. There are a lot of very good kibbles and wet food on the market these days that would give raw a run for its money and are far superior to a poorly balanced raw diet. A trap door wide open to those who aren’t careful.
    The best food is the one that suits your dog. A lesson I learned the hard way.

I get your passion I was there once but a little less harsh on alternative foods would be kind

#18 Mum2Heidi, Apr 29, 2019
  19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Indeed!

20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Is it? Really?
    Wouldn't that depend on the dry or wet food being used?
    Wouldn't it depend on the individual dog and that dog's individual needs?

Bates eats a decent quality kibble, sometimes some wet, often some concoctions of home-cooked with *gasp* grains like oats or rice, and at least 5 times a week he gets raw thrown on top of whatever else he's eating. Yup, I feed raw and kibble at the same time :eek:

@Poppy171 even if you'd rather not fuss with trying to feed raw, you can still reap the dental benefits by feeding chicken wings, legs, and/or necks on top of his normal food. It's a good way to get them chomping some bones and keeping those teeth clean and healthy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice