Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dry food again!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kiara, Aug 13, 2009.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

hi all,
    i am totally confused by all this. i have tried arden grange and jwb. arden grange was great but too expensive. jwb upset one of my dogs tummy.
    one of my dogs has a sensitive stomach the other two are fine. i wanted a food that is high in meat content and pref without wheat maize and cereals. i would like to buy from sainsburys as i have this delivered and dont want to pay out for another del cost from buying else where. here are my options;

Baker's Complete
    Ingredients
    Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (Minimum 4% Fresh Meat in the Soft Moist Kernel, Minimum 4% Chicken in the Red and Brown Kernels), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and Fats, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (0.5% Beet Pulp in the Red and Brown Kernels), Various Sugars, Minerals, Vegetables (Minimum 4% Vegetables in the Green and Yellow Kernels), With antioxidants, coloured with and preserved with EC additives.

Hilife Gourmet Moist Complete Dog Food,
    Ingredients
    Poultry Meat Meal (Including Turkey and Chicken in variable proportions, min. 20%), Ground Whole Wheat, Soybean Meal (May contain genetically modified Soya), Sugars, Wheat Bran, Poultry Fat, Salt, Poultry Stock, Vitamin & Mineral Supplements, Bacon Meat Meal (min. 0.5%), Bacon Flavour, With Antioxidants, coloured naturally and preserved with EC additives.

Iam's Dog Food
    Ingredients
    Chicken, Maize, Wheat, Animal Fat, Poultry Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Sorghum, Barley, Chicken Digest, Dried Whole Egg, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Fish Oil, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine.

Pedigree Better By Nature
    Ingredients
    Cereals (min. 4% Rice in the Yellow Kibble min 4% Maize), Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Chicken in Chicken Kibbles), Oils and Fats (min 1% Sunflower Oil), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Minerals, Seeds (min. 4% Flaxseed in the Yellow Kibble), Vegetables (min. 4% Carrots in the Yellow Kibble, min. 4% Beans in the Brown Kibble), Fruit (min. 2% Apple in the Yellow Kibble).

Pedigree Complete
    Ingredients: Cereals (min. 4% Wheat, min. 4% Maize, min. 4% Rice in the White Kibble), Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Chicken in the Brown Kibble), Oils and Fats (min. 0.2% Fish Oil), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (min. 2.5% Dried Beet Pulp), Minerals, Vegetable Protein Extracts.

Sainsbury's Complete
    Ingredients
    Cereals, Meat and Animal Derivatives (Chicken min. 4% in the Light Brown Lozenge, Turkey min. 4% in the Red Triangle), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Oils and Fats, Minerals, Various Sugars, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Vegetables (min. 4% in the Green Ball), Yeasts, With Antioxidants, Coloured and Preserved with EC Additives.

Sainsbury's Scouts Complete
    Ingredients
    Cereals, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Meat and Animal Derivatives (Chicken min 4% in the Light Brown Component. Turkey min 4% in the Red Component), Oils and Fats, Minerals, Vegetables (min 4% in the Green Component), Contains EC Permitted Colourants, Antioxidants and Preservatives.

Wagg Complete (which i have used before and is rubbish in my opion)
    Ingredients
    Wheat, Meat Meal, Maize, Chicken Meat Meal (min 4% in Chicken Kibble), Oils & Fats, Carrot (min 20% in Carrot Disc), Linseed, Rice, Beet Pulp, Peas (min 4% in Pea Kibble), Lucerne, Vitamins and Minerals, Added Citrus, Yeast and Yucca, Contains EC Permitted Antioxidant BHT.

thanks in advance for any advice.
    xx

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    How much are you paying for AG ?

I pay £28 for a 15kg sack or £50 for 2, 15kg sacks,both with free delivery.

3. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

hi, i am paying £9.99 for a 2 kg bag with £3.99 del, i have searched online and this was the cheapest i cam up with, that bag lasted 5 days. i wieghed my dogs and the food to make sure they got the right amount. i havent really got the money to pay out £30 a time for food. thanks x

4. Robertdavid

Robertdavid Banned

It makes me cringe when I see the ingredients of some of these dog foods - 4% meat, (only 4%!!!) Animal derivatives, Preservatives/Additives, meat meal genetically modified soya... If you knew what these were you wouldn't feed them to your pets - you wouldn't eat such rubbish so why expect your pets to?

Try a brand like Natural Instinct - High Quality Natural Dog Food - at least their food is 80% meat with no nasty additives - and it's delivered for free too. Your pets wouldn't eat the rubbish in most commercial foods if they were in the wild, so try a raw diet - it is soooo much better for them. I read somewhere that it can actually increase your pet's life expectancy by over 100%.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I also get 2 15kg bage for £50 with free delivery from ebay

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Before you buy any of the cheaper foods, I'm not knocking you its all down to what we can afford and yes some brands tho very good charge a fortune, check on how much each brand recommends for your dogs weight. The cheaper ones although not always tend to have more feed for the weight than the expensive ones so although it looks like you have the better deal you end up having to buy more of the stuff. Yes I feed AG but I hit the internet and there are a few suppliers around here and I check for the cheapest each time I need a new bag. If you can get the 15kg bags as they are better value for money than the smaller ones.

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Unfortunately all the foods you have listed are full of rubbish.
    Buying a cheaper food really is a false economy as you need to feed more of it to a dog to satisfy it's nutritional needs than you would a premium food. If you want to go to a pet shop to buy the food you could give Burns a try, it's not the best food out there but it's not to bad. My sister and I both feed our dogs Orijen, it costs me £2.50 a week to feed my two shelties, my sister has two staffies and her Orijen food bill is £5.00 a week.

Terri

8. Spaniel mad

At first buying a big bag is more then buying a small bag but the big bag will last longer and in the long run will work out cheaper

9. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

do you post anything else??

WOW where do you guys get AG from I looked everywhere for cheap 15kg bags xx

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

11. Robertdavid

Robertdavid Banned

Actually I'm just passionate about trying to stop people feeding their dogs some of the rubbish that's out on the market. My partner is from the US and over there it's the norm for dogs to have tumours, cancers and vastly reduced lifespans solely because of the food their given. My latest vet over here recommended this particular food and after spending £1000's on bills from other vets, we've never had to take our dog back for any problems at all.

12. Spaniel mad

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

They dont do the same deal for senior :(

I shall be getting it from Berriewoods, still £10 cheaper than in petshops.

14. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

15. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

you have taken great time to list all of those products and ingredients but...... you want a hight meat content and non of those have a high meat content? The only one that does is iams and they test on animals - your choice really - but its just as expensive as other products. With online delivery you usually do not pay for, delivery at all.

All the producta you have listed are anmimal meal ... which basically are multiple animals nor listed, they are also any parts of th animal beak, claws anything.

JWB are on the expensive side poss £40 for 15kg though their hypoallergenic is a good one. Ardern Grange again do one for sensitive... they have got to be better than supermarket foods.

Did you introduce the food over a few weeks? If you didnt it could explain why it had the runs? :)

The £30 for the dog food will last you at least 2 months so works out a lot cheaper in the long run

#15 james1, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  16. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Its interesting to see all the ingredients....and very frightening as well!!!

WOUld not feed ANY of those brands - full of cereals (for some its the MAIN ingredient:eek:ut:) and 4% MEAT?? GOD
    I feed Orijen now and before was on JWB cereals free.

AG is ok too and you can get pretty good deals as mentioned by some here!

Like Kinski said watch out the false economy!
    ANd if you buy 15 kgs or so delivery will normally be free...

Best of luck in finding the right food for your dog!
    xx

17. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

Any opinions folks on Purina Pro Plan? This is what the breeder feeds his pups on, so have bought enough to last me a fair while, but wondered if it's decent enough to keep her on, or if I need to consider changing it over time?

18. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

Hiya

Ours are fed on Burns. We buy the 7.5kg bag for around £21 and lasts for ages coz you feed very little (compared to other brands). ie our 7kg Jack russell eats 70gr a day.

Thanks

Maria

19. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

GJW Titmuss have a current deal on AG - 2*15kg Arden Grange Lamb £51.98 which works out at just under £26/15kg.
    I use a good natural food - Whites Premium - which clocks in at just over £27/15kg or 2x15kg for £49.99 at www.pet-pantry.co.uk

20. alison in surrey

alison in surrey PetForums Newbie

I was so passionate about this topic that I bought a Trophy Pet Food Franchise a couple of years ago. I'm not in your area so I can't personally help you, but they don't test on animals and do not use deriviratives or nasties. It really works for my 2 wheat gluten intolerant dogs. It may be worth seeing if there is someone in your area as the deliver is free - you could probably even time it to coincide with your sainsbury delivery. There are free samples and info is free if you go online too. Trophy Pet Foods

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice