Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry Food - A human Convenience

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by yabbadoo, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabbadoo

yabbadoo Banned

We have tried most combinations of dog food, always good quality and never skimped on cost.

It is popular to feed our dogs dry food, simply because it is highly convenient to us, but in no way is it natural to the dog.

I have experience of dried food that resulted in the death of my dog. Dried food absorbs water and expands inside the stomach. It also produces copious gaseous emissions that certainly does not help digestion and as we all know - wind can kill.

In fact, the expansion of this food plus the gaseous emission can easily lead to bloat and sudden death of the dog. That is what happened to my previous beloved pet. OK one minute - dead the next.

We have always bought the best food for our dogs and on test a very well known and popular brand of kibble we fed our previous dog expanded to 50% of it`s normal size.

Our current dog weighs 48 kg. and the recommendation is that we feed him 500 gm. per day of the kibble we use - Barking Heads. We ignore this and feed our Rottie 150 gm. of this kibble plus 100 gm. of Chum canned wet food, twice per day and it is perfect.

The addition of a little wet food gives the dog a better balance and he loves it. Would YOU like to eat only dry biscuits each day ? NO you would not.

We have found that Barking Heads Dry Dog Food | Best Additive free Dogs Food dry kibble is the best we have ever had. The water absorption is almost nil.

YES, it is expensive at £42 per 12 kg. but at 300 gm. per day that lasts 40 days and costs only about £1 per day plus of course the Chum at about 25p per day, making the cost of keeping our treasure £1.30 per day and he is worth every penny of it.

The main point of this post is to emphasise the danger of water absorbing dry food that can lead to bloat due to expansion in the stomach combined with high gaseous emissions, that can cause sudden death and to state how marvellous we have found that Barking Heads dry kibble is if mixed with a degree of wet food.

2. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

to be honest if your dog died from being fed kibble I am surprised you are still feeding kibble and not feeding a good quality wet food or even raw

3. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

To be honest, if this is one of the posts that needed moderation, I'm not surprised.

I agree with the above that if dry food killed your dog I'm surprised you still use it, but, speaking as a veterinary student, I think you need to speak to your vet again regarding your dogs death, and the exact causes.

Are you affiliated with Barking Heads? This whole post reads like some dodgy marketing.

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

The people of this forum do not appreciate being treated like fools
    The callous way in which you speak of your lost dog and your blatant advertising is not going to win you any fans nor support.
    Why feed a decent quality kibble with such an appalling wet food I also ask?

I too am surprised that with your 'discoveries' and losing a dog to bloat supposedly caused by expanding dry food that you still feed kibble rather that a good quality wet or Raw.

5. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

I have to agree with this. I would not touch any form of kibble if it had been found to cause the death of one of my dogs. I'm sorry but I can't understand your reasoning nor the title of the thread.

I also cannot understand why you would want to feed your dog Chum when there are some great wet foods like Nature Diet, Wainwrights etc available.

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Yet another emotive post with little relationship to truth or reality.

1 Not ALL dry foods absorb water or swell in the stomach.
    2 Not ALL dry foods will result in the production of gas
    3 Adding one complete food to another complete food will only be BALANCED if you undertand the composition of each etc.
    4 One experience does not = ALL DRY FOODS will cause death in pets.

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

There was a thread on another forum this week about this food, favourably contrasting it with a popular commercial kibble containing carcinogens and trying to poll members on their preference. Funny how an additive free food thread pops up today of all days. :rolleyes: Somewhat pathetic.

#7 cinnamontoast, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. Bellaboo1

Bellaboo1 PetForums VIP

Hmmm very suspicious if you ask me, the minute i read it i thought its someone trying to promote Barking Heads kibble, and Pedigree Chum is not a wet food i'd feed personally :confused1:

9. yabbadoo

yabbadoo Banned

After reading all these replies, I am sorry I ever posted.

My post is one of the most intelligent, honest, dog loving and instructive pieces of material you will ever find on the subject of dry food and it`s possible consequences that you will find on any Forum.

The entire text is educational, well constructed and bang on target as a personal experience.

I do not understand any of your extremely critical comments in the context of a perfectly honest first post made by a Newbie.

NO, I am not connected with Barking Heads and find the suggestion revolting. My reference to this food is purely a personal recommendation.

Is it not possible for somebody to make a personal recommendation without being crucified as an undercover sales agent. I thought this was a friendly discussion Forum and never expected to be pilloried for posting a perfect account of my dry food experiences.

To say the things that responders have been said in this thread is downright disgusting.

"To be honest, if this is one of the posts that needed moderation, I'm not surprised."

"The people of this forum do not appreciate being treated like fools
    The callous way in which you speak of your lost dog and your blatant advertising is not going to win you any fans nor support."

"Yet another emotive post with little relationship to truth or reality."

"Hmmm very suspicious if you ask me, the minute i read it i thought its someone trying to promote Barking Heads kibble"

Is this the kind of welcome one gets when joining this Forum ? Nothing but semi-ignorant product comments, complete disregard for a persons devotion to animals and personal abuse.

Gee Whizz ! What kind of Community have I wandered into ? I have never had such a reception in all my PC life and the total lack of understanding and ridiculous comments made regarding the central issue is unbelievable.

10. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Isn't the issue about water absorption and kibble pretty obvious?

Many people soak dry biscuits in warm water before feeding.

People that feed just dry biscuits are a bit dim IMHO, and have not thought more than a few seconds about the health of their dog.

Feed raw - a damn sight cheaper than the £3.80 per Kg processed food being promoted by the OP. :lol:

11. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Nothing in life is without risk.

Your second sentence contradicts the first.

If you post something which is scientifically invalid, expect to be challenged; not only by those who maybe have studied animal nutrition but those who have both experienced and researched GD and GDV in great detail.

By all means relate your personal experience, but do not use it as some sort of pseudo scientific "treatise " regarding dry foods and bloat. It is not.

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Surely it would be hard to kill a dog with kibble unless it was allowed to gorge itself??:confused:
    I think it has a place in nutrition, as long as you get a decent quality one. My lot have Burns mini bites for breakfast (raw for tea) and they love it! Alot of people use pieces of kibble for training, and I sometimes hide their kibble around the house for an easy game.....kinda hard to do that with wet or raw!!:D

13. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Sadly if the kibble swells to 50% of it's normal size, that alone says it's not a good quality kibble. Leave a good quality, high meat content kibble in water as long as you like, you'll get very litte, if any, swelling. Do you mean pedigree chum tinned food? I hope not because it's damn awful.

Has the dog lost any weight being fed only 150g dry and 100g wet? That seems like severe underfeeding.

Barking heads is a mid range food with a premium price tag. Much better can be had fit the price.

And I have to agree, if kibble killed my dog I'd be screaming from the roof tops for people to avoid at all costs.

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Dry food has also been shown to damage the kidneys over time as the dog rarely drinks enough water to moisten the dry food as well as enough to flush out the kidneys on a daily basis. It has been shown to increase the risk of bloat and is stated as such in bloat related articles, causes tartar build up on teeth - despite the hype, how can biscuits clean teeth? and dogs have even been known to choke to death on it.

I couldn't think of a more boring, artificial way to feed a dog and agree it must be purely for convenience, a bit like those awful microwave meals for humans!
    I feed barf and will risk my dogs choking on a bone, which in over seven years has not happened, in order for the peace of mind I get in knowing I am not causing hidden organ damage in my dog! ;)

15. yabbadoo

yabbadoo Banned

I respect all the views given, albeit that most of them are not in the least constructive and comprise mostly of disparaging personal remarks made against myself.

I also resent comments on my ability to look after my animals. After many years experience of keeping dogs and cats, I have more experience than most of these abusive posters added together.

My innocent aim as a RESPONSIBLE DOG LOVER and being very well versed in all matters concerning the health and lifestyle of dogs by raising this topical issue, has obviously stirred up certain sections of this Forum into a Newbie bashing frenzy.

The ability to rationally discuss this extremely important matter in a civilised manner is obviously non-existent.

So as the Opening Poster, I now consider this thread closed in the interests lowering the blood pressure of everybody concerned and with a slim hope that this barrage of insulting remarks be diverted elsewhere.

My imagination boggles at what reaction I would be faced with if I actually asked for constructive help on some real pet problem.

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Have you participated on many forums??:confused:
    Coz it seems that you arent sure on how to 'play well with others'! Your last post (when you strip away all the long words) reads as 'I know best and am a self proclaimed expert and none of you lot know what you are talking about!'

Also you cant close a thread...only a mod can do that!!;)

17. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

If you read the stickies at the top of this forum, you will see that members here take feeding and nutrition very seriously. There's also a stickied thread concerning bloat.

If you read the dry and the wet food index stickies you might be interested to see what is in your Pedigree Chum and have a better idea of whether it really is the best food for your dog. Barking Heads is listed as a "middle of the road" food, not terrible, but you might want to consider an alternative there too, having lists of the ingredients and prices of various other options compiled by a member to make comparisons simple.

Of course, if the food you are feeding works well for you and your dogs, then far be it from me to suggest 'could do better'.

I am sorry to hear that your dog died from bloat though.

#17 Elles, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  18. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

How can you possibly suggest that you have more experience than most posters added together?

Are you yet another forum member who has the gift of telepathy or omniscience?

I am afraid neither you nor anyone on this forum (or any other) holds the monopoly on truth or factual information.

If you were looking for a rational debate on the subject of

1 bloat
    2 dry foods

then you might have done better to make a post which did not include emotive language which does further your cause.

My blood pressure is not raised, as I do not get irrationally emotive about Daily Mail like exhortations to rouse the "professionally outraged".

Perhaps if you led your argument with your intellect rather than your imagination, you may have received the response you were clearly seeking.

Paganman likes this.
  19. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Well versed? Feeding your dog half of the recommended daily amount sounds like you are starving it. My 23kg dogs are fed 400-500g daily just to maintain them.

You can't seriously come on here and expect people to laud your poor practice. There are people on here who spend weeks researching food yet you also recommend Pedigree Chum: tip, mate, it's bloody awful food.

20. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

A community of caring loving pet owners who...like yourself, obviously love pets. Please see it from the point of view of everyone else....some people feed kibble, some feed wet meat some like myself feed raw....not everyone is the same....i have had people tell me I'm wrong for feeding my dog raw meat....others say kibble is bad, and some think wet is rubbish....but at the end of the day it's the owners choice to make a decision on what food to give based on what is good for their dog and it can come across the wrong way if someone comes on and tells them they are wrong in the way they feed.
    I'm truly sorry you lost your dog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice