Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dry/flaky skin

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tiggertots, May 12, 2010.

1. Tiggertots

Tiggertots PetForums Senior

As most people will know, my cat Tigger went missing for nearly 6 months and has been back home for a week now. His coat seems quite healthy, but when examining him for fleas I've noticed that his skin underneath his coat is dry and is causing the skin to flake and leave a dandruff effect on his fur. Is there anything that I could do/use to fix this? I'm assuming it's just the effect that the harsh winter has had on his skin due to being outside all that time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Tje

Tje Banned

I’m not very good on fooding suppliments… but Hobbs2004 recommended Salmon Oil and Brewers Yeast Flakes recently for my cats… and I have only been using them for 2 weeks now but I can see a difference already. But I am not sure which one (or both maybe?) she recommended for fur and skin. They love the taste of both these things too, so it's zero hassle to give it. Hopefully Hobbs will see this and recommend accordingly.

Great that your cat returned btw :D

3. Tiggertots

Yeah hobbs is sending me some of the yeast flakes, but i thought that this was more to do with their fur and discouraging fleas rather than helping with flaking skin? :confused:

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

The Brewer's Yeast should sort that out - healthy fur, healthy skin, healthy claws, and no fleas :thumbup:. However, you could also try salmon oil (get the capsules rather than a bottle, doesn't spoil as easily) or evening primrose oil! The last one is great for dandruff and other skin conditions.

5. Tiggertots

Excellent thanks Hobbs! :thumbup: Just sprinkle that over their food?

6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I was gonna suggest EPO but i see hobbs has beaten me to it! :D

Good luck!

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, flakes, salmon oil or evening primrose oil all go in their food. Not all on the same day though - I think that would be slightly too much goodness. The days I don't use brewers yeast I use salmon oil (twice a week). I haven't used evening primrose oil in a while but when i did I used it as a course of treatment - daily for a two - three weeks but no other supplements.

Does that make sense?

8. Tiggertots

Yes, that's great thanks, will see how the flakes go firstly and if that doesn't clear up his skin, will try the EPO or salmon oil!

9. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

you already have good advice - i was going to tell you my cats dandruff has cleared up really quickly using yumega oil which is a mix of salmon and evening primrose oils.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice