Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry Dog Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Eithne, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Can anyone recommend a good dry food for Dog's, I have been advised against using something like Bakers Complete and to get one which has only 1 or 2 colours. I am slightly confused as to where to go and what to buy?

Help Please.

Thanks

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We did feed Skinners, before changing to raw, but other good dry brands are Arden Grange, Orijen, Fish 4 Dogs, Wainwrights, JWB.

It depends what price range you're looking at.

3. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

some of my favs are arden grange, wainwrights and skinners you can buy them both online and wainwrights can also be bought at pets at home :)

4. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Thanks guys, I got a bit confused today when she started talking about colours and less is better. I'll have a look in pets at home (my new favourite home) and see what the prices are like as I would prefer just to get it in a shop then I can get it whenever I need it.

5. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Pets at Home don't sell a lot of the good makes - the only ones I would consider in PAH are James Wellbeloved, Wainwrights or Wafcol.

Arden Grange, Burns, Fish4Dogs are all available either online or in independent pet shops.

Claire

6. I have a bag of wainwrights that I am taking back to pah! (see my dogs are wise) I am HALF considering swapping it for a bag of there advanced forumla! had a quick scan of the ingredients and have to say they did look at first glance to be reasonably impressive!

Anyone else looked at that?

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

In my opinion the best foods are those with as few cereals as possible that fit into your budget with no artificial colours or flavours.

Probably one of Pets at Home's best is their new Advance Sensitive salmon and potato. It's the only Advance I would recommend as the others contain maize.

Wainwrights has sorghum and barley as cereal but a very good food. I think they also sell a brand called Fishmongers which is another one to look at.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun choosing a food in your new home

8. mushymouth

mushymouth PetForums Senior

I feed advanced pets at home salmon i find it better than when she was on skinners.
    And I sometimes giver get a tin if chappie now and again. Keeps her regular in the toilet dept. And it's a bit of variety

9. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Won't they eat it? I reckon it might be OK re quality and price if ever I went back to kibble?

I use Orijen if I run out of raw food but someone (on here?) reckons it's better for dogs that work really hard as the protein is very high. I haven't seen any issues, but haven't used it consistently enough to see anything adverse.

Delighted you're staying off Bakers-horrible crap, IMO. Anything you can buy in a supermarket should be avoided. I do love Pets at Home-keeps the dogs very entertained!

#9 cinnamontoast, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. Eithne

Eithne PetForums Member

Thanks guys lots of food for thought (pardon the pun) I feel another trip to a few pet shops with Molly in tow coming on :D

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

The Advance Sensitive is v good. Better than WW but the rest of the range I dont consider as good as WW. Their Fishmongers is quite good too.

12. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Rule of thumb with dog food is if it can be bought in the supermarket - it's crap. Stay clear.

Bakers is about as bad as it gets, but given the adverts etc saying it's great, you don't know till you ask.

Best you'll get i pets at home is their own wainwrights brand, or the new advance nutrition range.

If I were you I'd consider ordering online, better prices and more options. Arden Grange lamb and rice is great, and about £25 per 15kg bag. If you find a pet shop that sells skinners, stick to either the duck and rice, salmon and rice, lamb and rice or turkey and rice. The rest in their range are nowhere near as good.

13. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I love that place im always in there for at least an hour! and come out with alot less money :D

14. Our waitrose now sell arden grange :D:D:D and it is on special at £6 something a bag! but they are only the small bags and I dont buy those:)

15. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I agree with Mum2Heidi, DT - The Advanced Nutrition Salmon Sensitive looks good - bit too much cereal for me in the other flavours.

Which WW are you exchanging? Do you mix your dry around now? Still giving the Fish4Dogs a go?

16. Predominetly wet - either nature Diet or Wainwrights (the Rinti has finished)
    Always have a fish4dogs in - I think it is perhaps the best. BUT my eldest dog will not eat it nor will he the ND chicken. I have always kept at least two bags of dry in - always used to be AG but as I said - switched to fish4dogs.

I have all the orijen and Acana from the PF auctions but only tried one bag of Orijen.

The wainwrights I am returning is the Duck variety again the eldest will not touch it! I had two bags - gave what was left of the first bag to my stepdaughter but anm going to return the other!

The other is the picture I am trying on the FAT dog in the piccy!

Still my wet food store is overstocked! but then I am away for a couple of days soon so better safe then sorry!

when you look agin there is NOT actually that much there

Attached Files:

17. thecaninecook

thecaninecook PetForums Newbie

Be careful with Orijen as the protein level is so high it can cause or aggravate the digestive system and colitis could flare up. The Canine Cook is a very good food and well worth trying as it is made to prevent digestive problems in the first place.

18. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Love that picture, DT - the way your doggie is just posing saying "Look what I've got!!"

BTW, I've got the Acana Grasslands (not opened my large bag yet) but when I tried the trial bags I found Henry loved it! Got Wild Prairie open at the moment. Still using wets for dinner. What's in the big green PAH bag then???

Think we need to see a pic of the wet as well! Claire x

PS. Is that PAH storage bin good? Was looking at them the other day but they're quite pricey, aren't they? Is it worth the money, do you think?

#18 henry, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  19. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

We have the Pets at Home storage bin and they are very good, worth the money in my opinion.

We feed our two Wainwright's wet trays but they do have some dried mixed in as well, and they are currently having (and loving) the Pets at Home Fishmongers dried food.

Seems a very good food with good ingredients and has the tail wagging seal of approval from Peggy and Mabel.

20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I looked at the fishmongers a while back and thought it looked good. Just checked and it has a higher fish content than their Advance so definately one I would consider.

#20 Mum2Heidi, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice