Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry Dog Food-With High Meat & No Grains!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Staffybull, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Staffybull

Staffybull PetForums Member

A friend of mine feeds her dog pedigree complete dry food and insists this food is great for her dog(i can see this dog is not in good condition)and also refuses to feed a good wet food such as naturediet,wainwrights,natures harvest etc.

As some of you may know i am not in favour of dry foods BUT for the health of my friends dog i thought i would ask some good people on here.

I have listed a few of what i think are good,or are they?
    I have also chosen foods with no grains,i dont think dogs should eat grain,i maybe wrong.
    Distributors of the Best Dog and Cat Foods in the World | Bern Pet Foods .co.uk
    Natural Premium Dog Food from Arden Grange
    Fusspot
    Adult Sensitive
    Complete Food - Fish4Dogs Online Shop - Natural Food for Dogs

Has anyone fed these foods?
    Surely these are better than pedigree complete!
    I cant find any others that are have a highish meat content and with no grains but they do have potato,why potatoes?
    Anyone know of any others and without the big price tag?

Thanks for any replys.

2. Had the orijen the Arden grange and the fish4dogs

Still prefer the wet though!

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I feed Novak the Simpsons lamb and potato, he had a lot of stomach problems at the beginning of the year and this is the only food that didn't go right through him.

I feed it as a topper to wainwrights wet, if for some reason he decided he didn't like the wet, I'd keep him on the Simpsons. Tried all the others and for one reason or another they didn't suit.

4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I feed Orijen and have no complaints about it, why not print out the ingredients of pedigree and alongside have what what problems they could cause.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You're absolutely right - Pedigree is rubbish and all of the foods you listed are great. There are lots more good foods that have some grain and lots of people are happy to feed these provided the grain content isn't too high - these tend to be a bit cheaper than the likes of Orijin e.g. Wainwrights, Burns, James Wellbeloved and some more that I can't think of right now.

ANY of these foods would be better than Pedigree!

Maybe also point out that because of all the rubbish in Pedigree she will be feeding much more than if she fed a good food, so it's more expensive in the long run.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Agreed - anything is a step up from pedigree.

Dont forget that rice is a grain, if she wants grain free:D

As for potato - my impression is that a little, is good. Acana contains russet potato.
    In larger quantities I think it becomes yet another filler - better than cereal but unless we want to pay orijen/acana prices then more potato isnt really avoidable.

7. LucyJ

LucyJ PetForums Member

Orijen isn't as expensive as some other premium brands as you feed less, check out the feeding guide.
    I bought some from Pet Supermarket.

8. bellabrownn

bellabrownn PetForums Newbie

Natural Balance dry dog food is less expensive than premium brands, but it has top-quality ingredients. Meats and meat meals, including chicken, lamb and salmon, are joined by brown rice, oatmeal and barley as the top…

9. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

If it has brown rice, oatmeal AND barley in it then it's not grain free, which is what the op is after.

10. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

i have recently started to feed my puppy wainwrights and she loves it :D

11. ashia

ashia PetForums Newbie

Hi, applaws is 75% meat , I feed my dogs first 2 bags was ok dogs love it, and price very good, now poops not as should be. Also feed them wainwright wet food. Around 60- 70% meat.

12. Renata

Renata PetForums Member

Potatoes are carbohydrates and will be digested in dogs digestive system in the same way as grains.

13. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I've never understood the train of thought that potatoe is supposed to be better than grain either.

14. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Is there are reason she needs grain free?

I highly doubt she's going to change from £20 pedigree to £55 Simpsons 80/20...

You'd be better off recommending something of a similar price but better ingredients e.g. Skinners or Gelert imo

15. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

This thread is from 2011 so I hope she's found something better by now :lol:

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

:D:D The thread may be nearly 3 years old but I still prefer potato to cereal :thumbup1::thumbup1:

#16 Mum2Heidi, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. Indiandpuppy

Indiandpuppy PetForums VIP

applaws! as a bonus they find it very tasty!

18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Because there's more to it than carbohydrate. Grains and potatoes contain other molecules as well.

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What a reductionist view! Potatoes CONTAIN carbohydrates. They contain other things as well eg alkaloids. Grains also contain other things as well.

The carbohydrate may be digested the same way, but there's not just carbohydrate in grains or potatoes. My cereal intolerant dog (like many others) is fine on potato-containing foods.

20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Exactly!! Maize makes Heidi itch - potato doesn't :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice