Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dry crusty ear.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amelia66, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

I noticed a couple of days ago Scully's inside ear [of one ear] was really red inside. Didn't give it too much thought but did clean it just encase. Have noticed today although not was red it now seems dry and crust inside, almost scabby. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what this may be? There is no odour to the ear, and shes fine in herself if not a little quiet but we have put that down to the heat mostly.

We are gonna take her along to the vets next week to make sure, but thought someone here might have some ideas too?

2. Bengo

Bengo PetForums Junior

It sounds like ear mites. Mine had a similar condition a few weeks ago. Your dogs ears probably need cleaning and might have a build up of wax as well. The vet used ear cleaner (Trichlor)and prescribed some for me to use twice a week and also gave us some drops. There was quite a bit of grainy black stuff inside which is caused by the mites and her inner ear had become quite crusty. It's cleared up completely now but you do need to see the vet as they can cause a more serious infection if left untreated.

3. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

we have already cleaned the ears with epi optic and i didn't find them to be dirty inside. I did also use some thornit powder on them which is meant to help with mites but there was no change.

4. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

I would still have a vet look at them.Had that issue with boz at one point.No smell or dirt but i took him in and he had ear mites.

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Alfie gets this from time to time. It's normally the first sign an infection is on the way for him. I give him a good glug of Cleanaural Sensitive (not the regular one) and then a few days of Canaural drops and it seems to nip it in the bud quite quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice