Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry cracked hands

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sarah H, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

My hands are struggling badly this year.
    Usually in the winter they get dry and cracked but not this early on. It's all the extra handwashing I am doing at work I think (I do a lot normally anyway due to working with dogs and cats but it's even more at the moment for obvious reasons!)
    I struggle to find a good hand cream that doesn't leave residue, absorbs easily, doesn't cost the earth, and actually works! During the summer I use Palmer's Cocoa butter hand cream, but this just doesn't cut it in the winter. I've also used Body Shop's Hemp stuff which is better, but still doesn't last long if I'm then having to wash my hands or put them in gloves. I go through a lot and it gets expensive! The O'Keefe's Working Hands stuff leaves a residue which I can't stand.
    HELP!
    Anyone have any ideas for sensitive skin and my poor cracked hands :Arghh Need to be able to get a few so I can have one in my bag, at work, by my bed etc.

2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Sarah H likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I know, it's hard to find a cream that will absorb completely. I make sure I use a soap with a moisturiser. Carex derma care hand wash (the white one) works for me. I've never been keen on rubber gloves before but now I wear them quite a lot, especially if my hands are going to be in water for more than a minute or two.
    I'm ok now but years ago I had a terrible dermatitis with cracked and split skin. I found slathering them with moisturiser and wearing a thin pair of gloves (preferably cotton) in bed really helped.

Sarah H likes this.
  5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Torin., mrs phas and Sarah H like this.
  6. Sarah H

Fab thanks guys, a few to look at. I always wear gloves when cleaning with soapy water, and we have good moisturising soap and handwash at home, but at work I just use whatever we have, plus I use antibac after dealing with customers. Oh and my hands just seem to get wet due to hosing, rain, water bowls etc so it rinses off hand cream fairly quickly.
    I did have a pair of cotton gloves to wear in bed...I will have to dig them out. I always find I've removed them by morning though :Hilarious
    The other thing I was thinking of is a good pair of waterproof gloves. I've heard of Sealskinz? Anyone have any experience with that sort of thing? Ideally something not too expensive or that I can chuck in the wash after getting them dirty.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I've had bad ulcers on both my legs and with them been in bandages for a long time so I still have very dry skin which is still very sensitive, I've tried all sort of creams at absorb and mostise well, and the best I've found is Vaseline Intensive Care. (essential healing).

Sarah H likes this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

yup, thats what I found worked really well too. Back when I started nursing the hand soaps were really harsh and used to make your hands crack and bleed. I often used to basically dip my hands in a giant vat of hand cream and go to bed with cotton gloves on! (thankfully soaps are much nicer now and dont strip your skin off).
    Also, because doing anything with slimy hands is annoying, I got into the habit of applying hand cream before I dried my hands. It still gave you a layer of protection but didnt make your hands all greasy. (I dont really have a problem anymore though...just spent 2 nightshifts washing my hands constantly with no handcream in sight and its all good!).

Sarah H and Cully like this.
  9. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

I can second hand cream, then cotton gloves overnight, if I don't/forget I can literally be up all night crying from the pain in my hands
    Also agree with @StormyThai that Nutragena Norwegian hand cream is the best for split sore red hands (and feet/heels)
    Also remember to pat hands dry not rub, and wear cotton gloves, if possible, under any other gloves
    I also use an oat soak at least once a week similar to this,

https://balance.media/oatmeal-soak/

Sarah H likes this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Why don't you buy disposable gloves that you can throw away when you've finished wearing them? I have the normal gloves for washing up but find them too bulky to use for anything else. Instead I vinyl disposable gloves for jobs like cleaning the bathroom, or dealing with the dogs, preparing vegetables etc anything in fact you'd normally do without wearing gloves. I've found if you're careful you can use them more than once.

https://industracare.com/products/p...gn&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb1efp26msW3-
    N1i0doZlFcvkDEoJxZ3Deb4JSdB2ANLZ9hLMtxXqHhoCCOAQAvD_BwE

[​IMG]

11. Sarah H

I get all sweaty under them and it makes me itchy (eczema). Short periods are fine but if I get sweaty and itchy I have to wash my hands which defeats the object :Facepalm

Magyarmum likes this.
  12. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Have you tried a very light dusting of talc before putting them on. Not too much or it just makes a paste with your sweaty hands.:Yuck

13. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

I have psoriasis and am really prone to dry cracked and bleeding hands. However, I started using this about a year ago. And it's one of the best moisturisers I've used. Realise it's not specifically a hand cream but it does seem to work!

Sensitive-Baby-Moisturiser.jpg

Sarah H likes this.
  14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

The skin on my hands is peeling - it's to do with the sanitizer in all the shops, I'm sure. Never had it before.

15. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

My hands - and my daughter's who is prone to eczema on her wrists - are much better since we switched from liquid handwash (even the sensitive/unscented ones) to unscented bar soap. I read that lots of people are sensitive to one of the ingredients used in almost all liquid handwashes, but which is not usually in bar soaps. I don't know if you'd be allowed to take a bar of soap into work, but I send my daughter into school with one and ask the teachers to let her wash with that rather than using hand sanitiser or handwash.

It's better for the environment too :)

16. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

My husband suffers badly with Psoriasis over most of his body and we have struggled to find a good moisturiser and what we have had from the Doctor is far to heavy and won't soak in, so next time order my shopping I'll order this, anything is worth a try.

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I found this too and switched to Oilatum bar soap which is very gentle. My hands improved overnight.
    Sanitisers are very drying due to the high alcohol content, my hands were not happy when I was working in Maternity! I think the ones we're asked to use in shops are particuarly harsh.

18. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

They're probably industrial strength. I expect companies need to cover their backs so provide super strong. It wouldn't look good for them if someone became ill because the sanitiser wasn't efficient.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  19. Sarah H

Funnily enough someone else recommended this too, and I can get it in Tesco.

20. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

For anyone using Neutrogena, remember there was a warning that some of the products contain xylitol so don't let your pets lick your hands, and don't handle their food.

Sarah H likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice