Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dry Complete

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dvnbiker, Mar 7, 2011.

1. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

Ok I am great advocate of feeding wet food - I prefer it and think that the ingredients tend to be less, better quality and the dogs love it.

My only problem is my eldest boy since being on wet food has started to eat the other dogs poo - can be our dogs, can be any he can get his paws on when we are out on a walk. He was firsly on Naturediest but we swopped as he always seemed to be hungry. He is now on WW and seems to be full but still doing it so I am wondering if he needs to be back on dry complete as he never did it on that.

I want the best I can afford which is probably about £45 a sack. I have tried orijen before but it was too rich and went straight through him. Can anyone recommend any of the other decent ones? Happy to order from the internet and I want grain free.

2. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Arden Grange, CSJ, Skinners, Fish 4 Dogs...

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I've got one of mine on AG Ocean white fish and potato.

4. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

I feed Arden Grange lamb and rice but they do a sensitive one as well. The lamb one is £29.99 for a 15kg bag from Swell Pets which I have found to be the best price

5. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I'm another CSJ fan. The command performance range is hypoallergenic and is roughly £30 a bag. If you're not bothered about cereals then the other CSJ ranges are much cheaper but still good quality. My boy has healthier teeth, skin and poo compared to other foods he was on and his coat is much softer too :) He's on Hi-Lost which is £11 a bag but theres a huge variety to suit any dog! Plus the treats are good i haven't tried the herb mixes but they are supposedly really good too.

6. dvnbiker

Won't touch AG anymore - we tried that and his skin went really dry, think it is the maize that is in.

CSJ has too many fillers in it for my liking. I am really picky about what I feed.

I am thinking along the Acana, Taste of the Wild etc so want people with experience of those foods if possible.

and it should have read £65 per sack not £45

7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

If you're really picky then, why don't you spend your money on feeding RAW/BARF? It is the best possible diet out there, and after all, it's what they would eat in the wild!! 110% natural xx

8. dvnbiker

Because I compete in agility and most weekends I am away camping so its not practical plus I live in a one bedroom house and don't have enough room for a decent sized freezer. Believe you and me if I can the room all three of my BCs would be on it. Unfortunately I have to try and feed the next best thing.

9. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

Acana or Taste of the Wild are slightly lower protein than Orijen, both are made by the same company as orijen.

10. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I know the feeling!! Wish I had the space for a chest freezer to store it all in, but unfortunately I have a 4 drawer freezer lol! x

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sorry but it is only the best possible diet out there if it is properly balanced. Otherwise a good quality wet diet (or even dry) is most definitely better.

Ermm, no they are not. Acana and Orijen are made in Canada by Champion Petfood. TOTW is made in the US. :)

12. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Novak went through a phase of this. But only with Bailey's poo. Turned out to be because Bailey wolfed his food so what came out the other end was mostly undigested.

Got him a greedy gulper bowl and it stopped. Do any of your dogs gulp/rush food?

Obviously might be nothing to do with it, but thought it worth a mention.

13. The3DChis

The3DChis PetForums Senior

I feed Acana and mine do really well on it.
    Even my pup Dillon who had sofft poos when he came to me does great and has nice solid small poos now. lol

I think the next best thing to raw is Ziwipeak.
    It's dehydrated raw so no mess, it's just like feeding kibble.
    It is quite pricey, but i have heard great things about it.

14. dvnbiker

to feed a border collie Ziwipeak would be very expensive indeed.

He is just picking any one of my dogs - it can be any dog which is what is making me think it isnt the food that they are fed on that it is making it attractive but something to do with him being on wet food - I just cant think of anything else. He is 8 and has never done this until now.

#14 dvnbiker, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  15. henry

henry PetForums VIP

That's funny - now you've mentioned it..... Henry did this when I was feeding just wet complete and now I'm adding some dry into the wet, he's stopped. He also seemed hungry on the wet on its own, so we do a combination for dinner and just dry (with warm water) for breakfast.

Re. the Arden Grange - the Sensitive (Fish & Potato) and the Premium do not contain maize. I'm currently feeding Acana, but have some of the Sensitive AG in stock as well. Claire

16. dvnbiker

thats interesting that you also had this. Maybe what I will do is just add in some dry then as opposed to completely swopping back.

OMG it is such a minefield isn't it.

17. henry

henry PetForums VIP

It is! I wanted to get Henry onto one meal dry and one meal wet, but the wet on its own just wasn't satisfying him so I've had to revert back to mixing for dinner. What dry are you thinking you might mix? Do you have any dry at the moment?

18. dvnbiker

would probably look at Acana or Taste of the Wild

Have a little bit of Omni-pro dry left so may add some in his dinner tonight and see how we go on.

19. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I can recommend the Acana!

20. Sarahnya

Sarahnya PetForums Senior

I'd vouch for TotW, I've used it a couple of times and it's been well recived with no sloppy poops. I haven't tried Acana for a loong time now so I can't comment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice