Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dropsy?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by salann, Nov 21, 2012.

1. salann

salann PetForums Newbie

My 16 year old cat who is normally very fit and agile still, has been off her food for a few days and has abdominal swelling but no other symptoms. So we took her to the vets and after examining her abdomen said she had dropsy, he checked her heart and said that was very good and strong and looked at her eyes and said they were good and not jaundice, so he said it isnt he heart but probably her liver. He didnt suggest any blood tests and just gave her a steroid injection and some tablets to take and see how she goes, but i am wanting to know if she should have tests to confirm the cause? and are there any other treatments we can try? If anyone has experience of a cat with this i would love to know more, as i am so worried about her.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Dropsy, or "oedema" as it is more commonly known these days, can be a symptom of chronic kidney disease or heart disease, either it which is a possibility given your cat's age. Did you vet do tests for either of those?

3. salann

salann PetForums Newbie

No he just checked her heart by listening to it and said it wasnt that as that was excellent,(i dont know if you can tell from that) and he just then said it must be her liver. She did have some blood tests a while back now which were all ok apart from an allergy came up. This seems to have come on pretty sudden though, can it come on like that? Do you think she would benefit from some routine blood tests then? or are there other specific tests that should be done?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Some useful information about diagnosis of heart disease in cats (and dogs).

Canine and Feline Heart Disease - Diagnosing Heart Disease and Heart Failure in Dogs and Cats

Diagnosing kidney disease is done with a blood test.

Liver disease can also cause oedema. Liver disease is tested for with blood tests:-

Feline liver disease

You say your vet thinks liver disease may be the problem, but if so what treatment is he prescribing other than steroids? Has he said to put your cat on a very low fat diet?

I think you need to get more conclusive testing done, and if your vet is not keen to do so I would get a 2nd opinion from another vet practice.

Please let us know how you get on?:)

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Listening to the heart should give a good indication as to whether the fluid is due to heart disease. As your vet said it could due be liver disease but you do need to be sure because obiously treatment depends on the actual cause. What's her health history? Is the fluid in the abdomen only or in the limbs as well? Were the tablets diuretics? (Incidentally, the term dropsy is so old-fashioned! How old is your vet?)

The best thing to do (and usually the case) is to have the fluid tested. This is first classified according to protein and cell count. This will not only help to narrow down the possibilities (while ruling out others) it will also provide a guide as to further testing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice