Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drooling

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ExD, May 2, 2021 at 4:13 PM.

1. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

One of my cats, an affectionate little thing, drools buckets whenever she's petted and stroked.
    It's not so bad for me because I'm used to her, but visitors find it disgusting and think she's spoiling their clothes as well as being unhygienic.
    I can't imagine there's a way to stop her, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

2. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat Friend

Give them a wet wipe!!! Or tell them to stand outside!

ewelsh, ExD, Tigermoon and 4 others like this.
  3. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

Have her teeth been checked? Purring can cause excessive drooling, but can also be a sign of dental disease.

huckybuck likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:D :D

Meeko does this too while suckling on a bare arm ,
    It's a definite ice breaker ;)

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Bunty does this when she's being petted but if its at other times then it can be a dental issue as said.

huckybuck likes this.
  6. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat Friend

Huck has just started to drool since he’s discovered Felix soup (and butter). He has his teeth checked every 6 months so I think they are ok - it has to be his age as he never used to do it.

Mind you I drool at the thought of a nice glass of rose and a block of Tony’s chocoloney (orange of course)

Bethanjane22, Ali71 and LeArthur like this.
  7. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

My older girl will dribble when she is feeling particularly cosy while snuggling up and purring. Usually it's just a few spots and then she swallows and purrs on dribble free. I put it down to her age.

8. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I would definitely get her teeth checked!

Nora used to do this and had to have 10 teeth out! When she's stroked now there's only a tiny spot of drool that appears on her mouth. Before it was loads that would drop onto whatever/whoever Nora was on.

9. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Darcy always waits until she has a spot of drool coming out of her mouth to do a great big head shake and send the drool flying :D

Of ours the two eldest drool when being stroked but they always have done. They are just very drooly!

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  10. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Teeth! That never occurred to me, although she's done it since she was a kitten, it was endearing then.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would suggest you tell visitors to leave her alone if they don't like the drool.

huckybuck likes this.
  12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Both of mine drool when they're getting snuggles. One worse than the other.
    Neither would be caught dead in a visitor's lap though. They both run and hide when new people come to the house.

lorilu likes this.
  13. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

Luna drools when being stroked and will either shake her head when she is inches from my face, or she will look right at me and sneeze :eek: She’s lucky she’s cute!

14. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I call this the three inch blast, because that's usually how close they insist on getting before sneezing into your face, sometimes twice!! :Hilarious

huckybuck and Bethanjane22 like this.
  15. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Member

Pfft, they should feel honoured! :p If they really have a problem with it then they should just not let the cat sit on them, I guess.
    Ardath drools on me when she's happily purring too, particularly under the covers at night. I woke up to go to the bathroom once and saw this big wet patch over my breast... had a panic for a moment :Hilarious

huckybuck and lorilu like this.
  16. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Oh Lucy, that's priceless.
    As for drooling on visitors, she's one of those cats with an uncanny instinct for seeking out cat haters and pestering them. It's hilarious, cat-people holding out a hand saying 'here kitty kitty' and being ignored - and the others having a purring, drooling cat curling round their ankles whilst they back away in disgust. That was when we could have visitors. :(

ps - her teeth are fine.

LeArthur and huckybuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice