Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drooling

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ExD, May 4, 2017.

1. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

My young cat Ginny just loves people, whenever we have visitors she jumps on their lap and purrs and rubs her face all over them - which is nice for the cat lovers but a problem if they are cat haters - so sometimes she has to go outside or into her bed ......... but thats not the problem.
    When she's stroked she's so ecstatic she drools. Then she was a kitten this was funny and quite endearing, but she's a big girl now and the amount of drool she can summon up is impressive to say the least and people don't like getting their thighs soaked in it.
    I tell them not to stroke her, or only do it slowly and gently, but she's such an appreciative receiver of cuddles she encourages them.
    Can I stop her drooling?

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

First a quick dental check wouldn't go amiss just to make sure that all her teeth and gums are healthy. But some cat do drool while purring and their isn't anything you can do about it unfortunately.

spotty cats and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Tilly dribbles when she is having a cuddle!

4. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

She sounds lovely, this is exactly the temperament of cat that I have always wanted...tho I can see why the drooling is less than ideal

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@ExD - as TM has said there is nothing you can do to stop a cat drooling. It is a habit which some cats retain from kittenhood. One of my cats is a drooler too. ;)

All you can do is not stroke her, or perhaps give her a tiny stroke only on the head, so she gets less excited. Or else give your guests a towel each to put on their laps to soak up the kitty drool, LOL :D

Babyshoes likes this.
  6. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

Maggi drools sometimes when having a fuss if she is really relaxed :)

7. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Aww bless!

I second the idea of a towel for guests, assuming she's had a clean bill of health from the vet, of course! You could even get a personalised one, there are lots of Etsy sellers & crafts people on Facebook who do such things at a reasonable price...

ExD and chillminx like this.
  8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

My stud boys drool, especially when being cradled like a baby and having their bellies rubbed :)

9. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Mt two just hate having their tummys tickeled.
    I have a box of cheap tissues on the coffee table and hand it to visitors, and then its up to them whether they are prepared to keep dabbing Ginny's face and continue to pet her, but a small hand towel or two might be useful. Thanks.

chillminx likes this.
  10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

My boy drools too. My girls used to excavate my thighs with their claws so I had a cuddling cushion. If a cat wants my lap and a good drool / claw then they are invited onto the cushion on my lap... happy cat, happy human. The cats learn that the cushion is a petting extravaganza zone and my legs and clothes remain dry and hole free.

Perhaps you can train your kitty to get cuddles on a towel or a cushion and that the guest with the said item will be supplying the cuddles. That way cat haters can refuse the "cuddle cushion" or the "towel of adoration" and remain cat free. :)

chillminx likes this.
  11. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I had a cat that drooled when cuddled and stroked by anyone! Lol! But she also had a habit of crawling up to your neck and sucking your earlobes! They just get so chilled they purr and forget to swallow! :D

kittih and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice