Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Driving me nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lizward, Jun 4, 2010.

1. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

On of my girls started "whinging" yesterday, kept whinging on and off all night - I thought she must be coming into call but this morning it's obvious that she isn't, but she's STILL whinging constantly. I don't know what she wants. She was in with her 13 week old kittens so I brought her out of there, put her in with Basil where she proceeded to devour his food but nothing else, he has been calling to her all night, now she's sitting in his pen whinging and I really don't know why. If she's going to call I wish she'd just get on with it!!! :mad:

Liz

2. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

Girls!! I had exactly the same with Champs when her kittens were 8 weeks old ... Very unsettled, wouldn't settle with them and wouldn't settle without them. She carried on for nearly two days and promptly came into call. I pit it down to hormones in the end. She settled in the end tho. Good luck!

3. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Well now she's definitely calling, at least doing the vocal bit, so I put her in with Basil. Last time I looked, she was on her side and Basil had hold of her front leg. Sigh.

Liz

4. wrinkles

wrinkles PetForums Member

im puzzled. she was in with her 13 week old kittens, and then started calling. so you put her in with your stud boy? did i read that right or am i being blonde. forgive me if i am, happens alot!

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I know its not the same but Soda who is spayed has started making howling noises at night time. There really loud and I bring in lots of toys but by 5 am I let her outta my room because I cant take it anymore! I need my rest or I get grumpy :eek:

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Yes you read that right.

Liz

7. wrinkles

ok just wondered why you'd mate her up that quick?

8. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's not really that quick - GCCF guidelines specify a minimum 17 weeks between litters, this (if she takes) will be 23, more than five months. It's that or Ovarid, and having had a cat go down with pyo following use of Ovarid 18 months ago, I prefer to avoid that until the girl concerned is no longer essential to my breeding programme. None of my other girls will be having two litters this year, unless they break all rules and call in the Autumn (my girls just don't do that)

Liz

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I'm actually surprised you would let one of your girls have two litters close together like that! :eek:

Don't reputable breeders say at least 1 whole year between litters? :confused:

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Simple question, simple answer - no. I know of no cat authority that has that requirement - cats are not the same as dogs. There are several cat clubs - and the whole of FIFe - who permit no more than three litters in any two year period. Since many cats do not call during the autuman and winter, that doesn't mean a litter every 8 months, it means 2 litters one year and only one the next, which is understandable, but it does mean you will probably have to use Ovarid the second year if you want to keep your sanity and avoid trouble with the neighbours!

There are only three things that can be done if you don't want to breed your cat, one is to use hormones, either pills or an injection, and that is not without risk. The other is to allow the cat to call over and over again, calls getting closer together and longer until the cat is almost permanently calling (one of mine appear to have just had a gap between calls of precisely two days and that is not uncommon) and this will eventually make the cat ill. The GCCF (very wisely in my opinion) have no more than a recommendation that you go at least 17 weeks between litters (which could, in theory, allow THREE litters a year, though in practice that would be most unlikely to happen). Many breeders take the line that the best thing to do is breed the girl more or less naturally but then have her spayed when she is still relatively young, perhaps 2 or 3 years old. I think that is the most sensible solution, though since I am now in a FIFe club I will have to abide by the three litters in two years rule.

Liz

11. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

I must admit - when my breeding girls were kittens, I decided to stick to the one litter a year rule. HOWEVER, having a girl who gave birth 16 weeks ago and watching her call more or less every other week for the past 8 weeks ... I'm not sure it's fair for her to NOT let her breed again this year. In my opinion, I have a few choices

a) Use ovarid and cross my fingers it doesn't lead to pyo
    b) Do nothing, watch her lose condition and be distressed every two weeks over summer - and cross my fingers that it doesnt lead to pyo.
    c) Let her have another litter, keep back a girl from her (for breeding on in 2012) and have her spayed
    d) Have her spayed now.

It's wrong to use a "one size fits all" rule for all queens. All queens are different and decisions such as these should be made on an individual basis. I may possibly let this queen mate again this year ... But decide to only breed once from my other 2 girls if I feel that this is right for them.

Looks like your girl has done exactly what Champs did earlier this year Liz ... Very unsettled, had everyone confused, then REALLY started calling (and hard calling at that!!) good luck!

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

So is it, 17 weeks from when the girl first falls pregnant or 17 weeks from the birth of her kittens ?

13. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's 17 weeks minimum between births - but I can't find it now :confused::

Liz

14. becbec31

becbec31 PetForums Member

I found with my girl last year she called terribly for around 8 weeks from when the kittens were 6 weeks old. Then she stopped for another 3 months. She started again and I let her call twice and on her second mated her so roughly she has gone 9months from birth to birth.

i think you have to go by your own girls and I do think breeds vary, I know a bengal breeder who simply has to mate her girls more than some would say is acceptable otherwise they go greasy and lose condition go horrendously thin and become aggressive. I dont think anyone should really judge other breeders everyone finds what works for them.

15. wrinkles

i agree some what, having girls call every 3 weeks is not fun or healthy. ive girls who call when there bubba's are 3/4 weeks old. and yes have had girls spayed due to pyo so understand the fine line between safe and leaving her to long. it just seemed from you post that this was her first call from giving birth, and as such would have been more than safe to let her call,. just seem's harsh to pull her from her 13 week old kittens {like you post said} to put her straight in with a stud boy. surely having her with you and being a 'pet' for this and possiblily the next call wouldnt have hurt her or you. and that way she would have had a good break and recovery. i understand cats are not the same as dogs, but no metter how well they handle a litter all animals need a break between pregnancy and raising babies. just my thoughts of course, we all have different thoughts neither right or wrong!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice