Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

driving licence.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by momentofmadness, May 11, 2010.

1. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

After what has happened to me tonight I believe that people who hold a drivers licence should have to re take their test when they reach a certain age......

I was driving into work and an old woman came out of one of the little roadways on the carpark and has ran into my car.. Embedded her car into mine... When i got out I asked did you not see me.. She said no.. I said you didn't even look I seen you and tried to stop but yo ram me moving my car sideways... My car is probably a write off, I have an egg on my head where I butted the drivers window and my shoulder is starting to stiffen up.. All because she thought no one else would be on the carpark.. Thank god my manager came out to take the details as my head was right up my backside...

Things just couldn't go any worse from this.... Sorry for my rant..

2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

oh man. i hope you;re ok though, aoart from your head!

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hope your ok! (((hugs)))

I agree, old people (no offence intended!!) are amongst the worst drivers I have come across! One nearly crashed into us in the (very busy) tesco car park today, she didnt even look when she got to the 'give way' bit!

I think everyone should be made to take a short test after they have been driving a few years or so, I mean, you get your lisence and are allowed to drive until you go blind or whatever, who's to say your still a safe driver? People forget stuff.

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Hope you are OK.

We had a similar thing the other day but fortunately didn't get hit. A woman was going straight on at a roundabout coming out of Sainsburys and going inot the petrol station. I was turning right to go into the petrol station. She didn't look and didn't stop fortunately I stopped in time. OH challanged her about it at the petrol station she said the normal rules don't apply as it is an exit to a carpark not a road:eek6: so she didn't have to give way to me. Yes it was an older woman driving too.

What I think is daft is my son Ben rides a motorbike he is 17 and has a provisional license. Every 2 years unless he goes in for hi motorbike test he has to take a test to be able to carry on riding. He can ride up to a 125cc with L plates on. OH has passed his car test and can ridea 50cc bike without L plates but need to pass his CBT to ride a 125cc. How come they insist you have to retak your test to ride a motorbike but not a car. I know if they passed their motorbike test they wouldn't have to retake their CBT but why not?

Every one whether they drive a car or ride a motobike should have to retake a test at regular intervals.

#4 Freyja, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I also think if you have a bump of any kind it should be compulsory to have to retake a test of some sort before you can go back on the road. Maybe then people would be more careful.

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Oh no that's horrible!

Not just old people, I was nearly in an 11 car pile up on Friday and that was a young person :(

I just hate the way someone can damage your car then drive off and you have to claim off your own insurance.

My Mum was in the GP's car park last year, and this car started reversing. She was sat there and suddenly realised it wasn't going to stop and it smacked straight into her car :(

I always make sure I look around before I even get in my car, and then look all the way around me before I even check in my mirrors for fear of someone appearing and me having not seen them.

Thing is driving tests are *not* run very well at all now. Due to that I don't think everyone should have to redo their test every 5 years like others have said (not on here, somewhere else). There needs to be something in place even if its a couple hours with a driving instructor once every 5 years to check you still know what you are doing, but that'd cost money and you could be scuppered if you aren't good enough...I think if people crash into someone else they should get 3 pts on their license, that doesn't exist already, does it?

It really is daft some people who are out driving. So many times people pull out on me and then go below the speed limit or pull into a road 30 feet later. Others carry on indicating right on a roundabout and then suddenly pull into the left lane without indicating causing people to nearly crash into them. Some just don't seem to bloody look or seem to care at all :nonod:

I hope the person who did it accepts full responsibility etc and its not too much hassle for it all to be sorted sweet xx

#6 GoldenShadow, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i think everyone should be given at least a written test every 5 years to ensure their knowledge is up to date and would include an eye test. After 5 years you should know everthing about driving/roadsigns/markings etc, if you don't get at least 90% you should have to resit the driving test.

there are heaps of older drivers (men and women) round my way thinking that slip roads AREN'T junctions and so the give way signs and road markings are there to make the place look pretty!

i'm have literally SOLD my silver furbie because i'm so sick of people ignoring me as i approach a slip road doing 70 (i'm on the motorway, they're pulling out), even with my lights on, and thinking i should pull out of their way as they pull out of the junction!
    Never mind that most of the time there is a car right next to me and i can't actually go anywhere. they also seem to think that pulling out in front of me doing 50 into a 70 is a good idea!

it's my BIGGEST driving hate that, 60/70mph sliproads! there is one in particular on the A34 that has several near misses and actual accidents on it A MONTH! yet people still continue to drive like prats.

8. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

ouch - hope your ok :(

now that ^^ would be intresting :lol:

id fail. :lol: (signs, not roadrage)!

9. Mollydoodle

Mollydoodle Banned

i hope you are ok and seen the doctor coz you mite have whiplash and can sue her for it, more to the point tho the old bid shudnt be driving. Insurance compamys said recently that the over 70s are the safest on the roads:mad: in my opinion they made that desision because they dont claim for accidents they just cause them behind them coz drivers have to swerve to miss them and they are oblivious. Were we live there are sum rite old dodders who drive at 15 miles everywhere and never look or indicate:mad::mad::mad:. sorry this is my big bugbear! Hope you get your car sorted soon at her cost and that you report her to police - next time she cud kill someone!

10. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Im a young driver..been driving for two years and now i do alot of miles, motorway, a roads and town driving. The one that gets me is town driving...so many idiots who do not know what to do and especially old people...yes they maybe old and only use the car to go to the shops i think they should be allowed to take a test just to see if they can cope with being on the road. My nan is 85 and she is nervous and when i went out to fill her car up for her i felt scared as passenger. I have told her to use the bus because i dont want her to get hurt incase something happens. I know its like taking her independence from her but she is much safer on a bus then in a car.

I use the motorway alot and very often on the M1 usually at rush hour and that can be a nightmare but im used to it. I love Motorway driving but can't stand those business drivers who think the fast lane is for 100mph +. I get alot of the business drivers trying to budge me out the way when im overtaking a car. I just think people like that need to be given a retest just so they know that because you have a big car does not mean you own roads.

Stick to the limit and be safe....check your mirrors all the time....always be alert and makesure incase you need to brake late that your brakes are in good condition.

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

one of my "favourite" manouvers for people in front of me...

brake (HARD), manouver, signal, mirror....always a winner!

what's wrong with the bus for your gran, soph? not like she's in a rush is it? ;) If it's for her own safety as well as others then no need to feel guilty, busses are good enough to get her around and it's not taking away her liberty, if anything it's saving her money if she only uses it to go to the shops. if she sells the car she can use the money to go on holiday! bonus.

my gran never drove, never stopped her going places.

12. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Its just the bus stop is abit of a treck for her and shes always liked having the car :). I guess you get used to things so thats probably why i would say :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice