Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Driving Lessons

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by xgemma86x, Jul 3, 2009.

1. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Well my first driving lesson is booked for next Thursday at 9am:eek: It's a 2 hour lesson and I have no idea what to expect. I know they will be able to tell me roughly how many lessons I'm going to need but what else? I wont be doing any driving will I?:eek: I have never ever had a lesson before and am a complete beginner in driving:blush2: Well I know bits of theory but thats about it lol:blush2:

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I drove on my first ever lesson.
    So if you do, it will just be the basics and very slowly.

And also, sometimes I really wouldn't take note of how long they say it will take. My old driving instruction said it will take 12 months at least, but I noticed he started to drag it out, probably just to get money cos not many people have been wanting to learn to drive recently in my area anyway.

I've been learning for six months, but I've also just had a 6 month break as I kinda couldn't be bothered for a while.
    But... good luck :)
    x

3. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Yeah course you'll be driving! They'll take you somewhere secluded at first, you'll be fine!

They won't be able to tell you how many lessons you will need as its completely individual! The average is 40, but I must have had well over 100! I have stopped them as I found it difficult with space awareness with dyspraxia and consuquently had a little crash!

He will show you the basics, and you'll go for a little drive round, the 2 hours will go soooo quick you won't even realise!

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

My first lesson I was driving in a car park for about 10 minutes and then out on roads. Admittedly I had a crazy instructor. It took about 5 months for me to learn and that was after I switched instructors about a month in because I was sick of the first one who insisted on holding onto the wheel and practically having a heart attack everytime I was within a metre of the kerb.

5. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

One of mine took me to McDonalds during lessons, wasted time and was crap! The other one fobbed me off 3 days before my test!

You'll be okay, and in no time you'll be able to do it without it even having to think bout it!

6. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

it'll be a 2 hr lesson round a quiet estate, gettin used tohow to operate the car.. lots of confidence building, and a a very slow cruise .. just to see if you can steer the thing, ther'll be nothing technical hun, relax and enjoy.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Don't worry you'll only be going through the basics. When I first learnt to drive my instructor to me a secluded area :)

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

My old instructor used to do that with the wheel!! He'd lean over and grab the wheel out of my hand (for absoloutely NO reason, we weren't even going round corners sometimes :eek:ut:) and then he'd have a dig at me for getting distracted!!! What a bloody nutcase :rolleyes: he was awful and he completely destroyed my confidence in driving, I now hate it and i've been putting off getting back into it for 2 years now, because he was that awful I don't want to drive again :( but i'm thinking of starting lessons in the next couple of weeks because it's summer so I have more time to learn now college is finished till September :)#

Don't worry about your lesson - you might do an hour of getting used to the car - all the pedals, the clutch, the handbrake, the clocks and displays on the dashboard and whatever else, then you might do an hour or so of driving at whatever pace you feel comfortable with :) and it will probably be in a quiet area :D

My first lesson was an hour long and he had me driving down a busy road within 10 minutes :eek: it was just like "right thats your accelerator, thats your brake and thats your clutch, now get going" :eek: I wouldn't reccomend him to my worst enemy :rolleyes:

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

You'll be fine and driving around in no time :) I didn't learn until I was nearly 40 and didn't get out of first gear in my first lesson - I was too nervous!:D

10. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

My first lesson was on a pretty busy road. Was 2 lanes plus lots of buses. Didn't bother me though but I took to driving pretty naturaly. I drove for an hour and a half on my first lesson and done roundabouts aswell. I loved learning to drive. Took me 4 months to learn and passed first time :D The examiner wasn't the nicest person in the world but I got 3 minors so it wasn't like the usual 'The examiner was horrible and wanted me to fail' kind of story. If you drive well then they can't fail you. I've still got half of my pass plus to finish but I kind of can't be bothered because I'm confident on motorways now and fine with city driving and the rest of it I covered in lessons so don't think I'll get much out of it. Good luck! :D

11. harleigh

harleigh PetForums Member

One my first lesson I got taken to a car park on the industrial estate and had to drive round in almost a circle and changed up as far as second gear! lol. Instructor drove me there and back though. And mine was only an hour long

12. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I drove round the estates near my mum's in my first lesson. My OH had taught me the concept of moving off the week earlier so i already had the hang of the clutch and whatnot.

13. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

By my 4th lesson, I was driving from my house and back.
    What I hated about my instructor was he said to me that I'll never be ready to take my test if I had to be told what to do. Ok fair enough, but nearly every time, I was feeling really confident in myself and knew what I was doing and was just going to do it, for example, go down a gear and literally a second before I was gonna do it, he'd tell me what to do, he didn't give me a chance to do it myself.
    So after that I just really couldn't be bothered.
    The worst thing is, my instructor is my next door neighbour.

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

LOL oh dear :eek:

One of my friends is doing the same, they're quite good friends so lets hope they don't fall out :laugh:

I got sick of my instructor so I booked a lesson with him one week and never turned up.... I just left him sat there outside my college waiting for me :001_tt2: and I never rang him back again, he was an idiot :(

15. blueribbonuk

blueribbonuk PetForums Member

i have just had my first driving lesson this week.its for 2 hours the first hour you just sit in the car and he or she will explain controls your blind spots etc. the next hour i was driving on a quiet lane getting used to the gears etc. dont be scared it really isnt scarey at all.

16. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

For my 1st lesson I had to drive to a town that is 14 miles away!! Along a very busy road, round 2 roundabouts and had to do an emergency stop as a cat run out in front of me!!!

I haven't had anymore lessons as I was so scared, but my Mum has just bought a car that she is going to teach my bro and me to drive in.

17. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

You will be fine. You will pick it up in no time and will enjoy your new independence. Have fun!

18. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Sounds like I wont be doing anything too major then on my first lesson .... that's alright:D I'm sure I'll be fine,really looking forward to it:D Just hope I can pass my test soon enough.

19. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Have you taken your theory test? You should try and get that out the way asap, that way you can get your test booked in as soon as your instructor suggests to think about it. The most horrible thing is having to wait ages to take a test because they've all been booked up!

20. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

Nope,not had that yet. Will my instructor decide when I'm ready for it?:confused: I've done practice tests and have done really well on them. Infact I think the highest marks i've had so far is something like 46/50. I'm really confused about the whole matter lol. I just know I wanna drive!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice