Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Driving lessons???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maiisiku, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I want to get Driving lessons so I have more housing options when I move to Cornwall in a year. How much do you pay for your lessons?

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I learnt in Reading through GT school of motoring or something, I think i paid about £40 per 2 hours but they do block lessons.

3. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

An hour lesson used to cost me £23

4. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

What ever happened to £10 an hour >.> God I must be old! It's the price of petrol I guess.

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Blimey It wasnt much at all when I was learning but that was 30yrs ago:eek:

6. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

It's gone up double since I got my provisional.

7. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

I passed my test in March and i was paying £26 a lesson. she did do blocks of ten lessons for £200. I needed 25 hours :)

8. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I've seen some for £19.95 for an hours lesson and £10 for the first lesson. I've had 16 hours before in an automatic...

9. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I got mine for £18 an hour, but that was in the NW so probably cheaper! I spent over £2000 learning to drive because my instructors kept ditching me! In the end I did a crash course and passed in a week after about a year out!

10. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I really don't have £2000 to waste on learning to drive... Looking at my budget atm I'll be lucky to have £100 at the end of the month. It will probably have to wait until I paid my catalogue and the little one is 3 and gets her free nursery because I have to pay for that as well and yes I couldn't sleep lol.

11. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Mine was over about 3 years I learnt to drive and they just kept knocking my confidence so I'd be back to square 1! Wish had just done crash course straight away. Ended up costing me £250 I think but 2 test fees as failed first time, but that was my fault and I did summat stupid!

12. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

i pay £19 per hour. i usually have 2 hours a week.

13. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I would be inclined to try and get it done as they are trying to bring in people needing x amount of hours with instructors meaning you will have to have a certain amount and it's more than the average people pass with. Will just get more expensive too. Have you done your theory test? I paid £20 per hour and had about 30 odd hours. Test is £60 hire of instructors car was another £30 so test costs almost £100 too but I really would if at all possible try to get it done. The test already changes from October and is likely to again to me made more difficult apparently.

14. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Is it normal to have to "rent" instructors car?? I took mine recently and the test was £55 for the test and that was it! I had a lesson before hand which was £23 but the test itself wasnt charged for by the instructor

15. GoldenShadow

My instructor and all the local ones I know charge you for usage during your test. Its only 45mins but I got charged £30 for it, maybe its because she wasn't in it that made it double what it would normally be (1 hour was £20 so 45 min £15, maybe double without her..?).

But yeah it is pretty normal around here. Think my test was £61 or £63 + the £30 to her for using her car. Thank god I passed first time :lol:

I had a lesson before too and she got £30 for that so in her hand on the day she got £60 and the test had been paid for by debit card a few weeks before.

16. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

You could get someone you know that is qualified to teach you the basics.Thats what my hubby did for me many moons ago, and i took my test in our own car.:D

17. GoldenShadow

Make sure you get insurance if you do use someone else's car OP (and they aren't an instructor so aren't covered), a few my age didn't bother and two got caught out and the person letting them drive their car got caught too (unless you have some private land nearby?). On a 1.9 litre TDI 2008 Golf mine was about £88 on provisional so not too bad considering the car, worth a go if you know someone :)

18. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

When I was learning 3 years ago my lessons were £20... The theory test was £25 and the cost of practical was £58 summat... For the use of the instructors car during the test he charged me normal lesson price.

My son is 17 this year and I want to teach him alongside an instructor to keep the costs down, I passed recently enough to remember what is required to drive at test standard.

19. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

I passed about 15 years ago and I paid £11 a lesson and thought that was expensive!! I guess its all relative though.

20. GoldenShadow

Haha I know this is odd but I remember about 15 years ago (when I was 3) that you could buy a packet of crisps for 27p. Them were the days, its like 50p plus now and you can't get a chocolate bar for 36p now either :eek: :lol: Damn inflation!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice