Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Driving lessons

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BlueDay, May 25, 2010.

1. BlueDay

BlueDay PetForums Member

Am about to book some driving lessons as it is about time I learn!

I'm pretty nervous about it all though. I have this constant fear that for some reason I wont be able to get the hang of driving and end up like one of those people who take 12 attempts!

Thats probably why I've been putting it off for so long.

How did everyone else here find it?

2. BlueDay

BlueDay PetForums Member

Woops wrong section. Someone please move?

3. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I know we're still in the wrong section but never mind, I'll reply anyway.

Firstly, don't worry about how quickly you pass the test - just take as long as necessary to get your head round driving. Failing sucks - I failed 4 tests - but you do learn from them. I always figure you should think of your first test as a practice run anyway, just so you get the experience of having a stranger there instead of your instructor, the nerves etc. That way if you do pass then great, but if not at least you'll be more prepared next time.

I personally found learning to drive terrifying for the first one or two lessons, but after that it got easier. I think most people do tend to find something they hate doing - whether that's three point turns, parallel parking, or hill starts. I think the most important bit is finding an instructor you can trust and can work with. Don#t waste your time and money on someone who isn't helping you.

(My first instructor literally disappeared after three lessons - didn't turn up one night and was never heard from again. The second used to chat on his phone, making big hand movements, then shout at me for taking a wrong turn because I misinterpreted his waving. He also used to get me to drive him to the local take-away during my lessons. No wonder I had no chance of passing back then! My final instructor was fab - always had his full attention on me, passed on every tiny snippet of useful info and always made me feel at ease.)

Good luck!

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Just make sure your driving instructor knows you are nervous, and they will take it slow with you. I was very nervous, but still managed to pass first time, however I took 8 months to get ready to do my test.

5. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

On my first 2 tests the examiner was required to intervene (i was gonna stop eventually, honest:eek:).

On the 3rd it all just fell into place. Found taking a weekend test definitely helped.

Also lots of practice between lessons with a calm driver is a must:thumbup:

6. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I passed on attempt 4 lol. Although I was totally ripped off on my third, my instructor was with me in the back and was furious I failed, it was cos i delayed in overtaking a bus that i thought was going to pull away!

My problem was nerves, but make sure you are happy with the teacher as it makes the world of difference! My first teacher made me worse! My second and final instructor was brilliant - never pushed me and always made sure i was happy with the progress. (that and the fact i didnt realise i needed glasses until i changed instructor....i couldnt see anything lol)

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I am in the same position as you!!

I had lessons a few years ago but didn't like my instructor and didn't enjoy driving so i've been putting it off ever since.... I need to learn to drive though, as much as I dont want to!

Well, I love the idea of having a car and having freedom but I just hate the reality of actually driving... it's other people that worry me the most. You can be as careful as you like but it only takes one other idiot to ruin everything, and that's what bothers me most :(

8. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Ive gotta book some dirving lessons soon too actually, need to learn to drive asap. Ive found a guy whos been recommed for £24 a hour, is that good or bad ? sounds expensive, but i dont know how much there suppost to be really :S

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I think between 21 and 25 is about average...just try to find one with a high rating, they may be more expensive but will require less lessons in the long run so works out no much more expensive

10. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

I started having lessons when i was 18 and then i moved abroad so i stopped, But ive always had a car i could practice in. So couple months ago i just booked a few lessons and my test and i passed first time. You can get very nervous but its important to get the right instructor as some are ar*eholes. Most are out to get money so if it takes you while get the right instructor do it cause its worth it in the end!

11. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I was failed for not overtaking a swerving cyclist on a blind bend and double white lines!!! got a major for that... all because there were a few cars behind me :mad:

Should really take it again... thinking of doing a cbt instead tho in getting a 125cc

12. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Yeah thats what i was thinking... cheap driving instructor, less money = more lessons vs better driving instructor and more money ? hmm

But yeh i think your right to get one with a good ratings, so you need less lessons.

13. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I hated driving. Felt ill before every single lesson I had and am SO relieved I passed first go (luck no doubt) and am still rather worried about how easy it seems to crash or damage my car :(

For me it was a matter of I *NEED* to be able to drive for a job or whatever in the future and I just wanted it done and dusted. No matter how much you don't like it I really would urge you to persevere and get through it! My Mum started learning when she was about 18? She had a couple bad lessons and stopped for a few months, then started again at 19 but had a scare and stopped. Took her until she was in her 30's to try again and she was still terrified. Now she is a really good driver and much more confident, you would never guess all the troubles she had..! Think she passed 2nd or 3rd time but she got there and it made her life lots easier too! I think she did a couple of those crash courses in her 20's but they scared her stiff too so she never got far, no proper weekly lessons from when she was 19 til she was 30 something though.

Don't think of how many lessons people had its the HOURS that count and even then people are all different. I had 1 hour lessons and some of my friends had 2 hours and some 1.5 hours etc. In the end I had about 35 hrs with my instructor, the last ones being 1.5 hour lessons. That was about 30 lessons or so but tonnes of my friends have had 20 lessons but 40 hours with their instructor, it completely varies. I know people who have had over 100 hours tuition and have never crashed their car, and another who had 4 hours with an instructor and has written off his car within 3 months of passing. There are probably similar things for vice versa too.

If you are in doubt and can't get any local recommendation I would go with a school like the AA, can't go too far wrong with an organisation. I know two of our local instructors were rather money grabbing (these being self employed and not part of a group)..!

14. GemCheri

GemCheri PetForums Member

Im 22 and don't even have a provisional yet, i get really nervous and feel sick at the thought of it . But i need my freedom as i hate busses :confused:::frown:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice