Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Driving Lesson

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Beagle Mafia, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I love driving once I've got out of the car. I could be having the most perfect lesson and still hate it. ADI is very positive and supportive...really like him but I don't like driving at all :eek:

I get in the car move off perfect ADI sat next to me saying "well done, that was perfect" drive round Plymouth amazingly. Do a manoever...do it well but panic.

There is no reason whatsoever to be like this with my ADI as he'd never sout, really helps and is so positive but my previous experiences of my first instructor just sit in the back of my mind.

I'll be ready for a test soon he keeps saying as my driving is perfect my attitude is not. He said if he could take the arrogance and danger from one of his learners and give them my caution and politeness then we'd both be perfect :D

I can see why every lesson is frustration for us both as he knows I can do it :( give him credit he's amazing and has a solution to everything. I went with Sue&Harveys ADI who was so sweet a really lovely lady but i felt the same in the car :( its my attitude not the ADI or car or time of day etc its me :(

I do feel 100% with my ADI and I know that in time I'll have my licence just bit sad I'm letting myself down :(

ADI was off last week and I was working over time to skipped a week and I feel like I've forgotten everything already!! Usually go straight from work and have no time to think bad thoughts or worry :rolleyes: Anyway no idea why I booked a 12 O'clock lesson today as I have just got up and after a shower, get changed, catch the ferry over to England I'll be in a right state :(

2. Nithnell

Nithnell PetForums Senior

Do you feel you're suffering from a lack of confidence, or is it you literally don't like the act of driving?

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I am just the same. I HATE driving. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I panic and worry and get myself all worked up :(

I've had two bad instructors so far and it has put me off so much. The though of driving a car just makes me feel sick - I know exactly how you feel.

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Awwwwww sweetie, you need to try & boost your confidence.

I find that I get more nervous when there is someone in the car with me than when I am on my own.

It took me 3 go's to pass my test. I was TOTALLY not ready the first time but my instructor was adamant that I was (I really wasn't!!). 2nd time the fail was due to a total b*tch of an examiner (took me down VERY narrow st with parked cars on both sides. Idiot bloke got out of his car, opening his door WIDE (didn't look to see if anything coming :mad:) so I had to swerve and she did me for 'driving too close to parked cars because I had to swerve!!!! :eek: ). 3rd time - job done!!!

I have become much more confident over the years and love the independence it gives me.

Stay positive. Failing that, take Rescue Remedy!!!! :D :D

5. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

That was dreadful :( think was the worst lesson ever!!

Im getting worse :eek:

6. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

How often do you have lessons?

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

And how often do you get out to practise in between them?

I'm sure you're not getting worse hun, just maybe not getting the 'pilot hours' in to build your confidence.

Another thing that may, or may not help, is that my (female thankfully) instructor always knew when it was "womanly" time because my driving got worse apparently...... :eek:

8. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Have you thought about trying hypnotherapy? Might help, does some people :)

9. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Funny you should say that but that didn't help. But with it being daytime...Good Friday/Bank Holiday loads of flipping emmits down here grrr

I got cut up on every slip road and junction, to the point where I got so upset on the dual carriageway ADI decided to do an whole hour of going up and down the A38 (give him credit it worked).

Its just confidence, feeling so rubbish recently!! Feel over worked, under appreciated, stressed and fed up. So much pressure not enough fun grrr :(

I'm not myself which doesn't help at all BUT I do actually think I hate driving... or rather hate being told where to go and what lane to get in when I know both lanes get there etc I'm just fed up in general :(

Came home and poor Buster always tries to cheer me up when I'm feeling down but today I snapped at him because he was in my face. He sulked in his bed...after getting in doing what I needed to do I could say hello but I feel so guilty :( we've made up now :D

I'm trying to learn for a better life...a little more freedom take the dogs to dog shows, do more with beagle welfare and generally get a bit of independance :) Hubby drives me places but I want to have that freedom now - I want to drive I just don't like the process :eek:

10. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Not considered it but may become an option.

11. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

That's exactly what I was thinking. I used to have one lesson a week and it just wasn't enough. My instructor used to say it was daft of me to think I'd forgotten what I'd been taught after a week, people never forget to drive once they've learned, but thing is I was still frigging learning! And it didn't help me to have all that time between my lessons. Take more lessons as often as possible and it'll come easier to you all the time.

Best of luck. Drive safe. Don't worry about what other people think of your driving either, if that's what upsets you. Everyone has to learn, and every one of the drivers out there has been in your place - take your time with everything you do and relax. It may take time but it will come. xxx

12. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

2 hours every week. I have been learning at night as finish work at 5/5:30pm and start lesson at 6pm so daytime driving is rare.

Not done weekends as usually doing something for beagle welfare/charity so today has been my 3rd daylight lesson.

Hubby has taken me out after work but I think we both lack the confidence to do it often. We'd sometimes drive 30 miles to dog training and I was absolutely fine as I knew the route and could drive like a driver not a learner if that makes sense? :confused:

13. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Wont be long before you pass your test and out and about in your own little car doing Road Rage lolol

[​IMG]

14. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

lol had a bit of road rage today :eek:

I get dreadful road rage when I'm a passenger gonna be a nightmare when I drive myself :D

15. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I felt like this shortly before I passed my test. The pressure is horrendous and you wonder why your even bothering with it all!

Have you tried Kalms or Rescue Remedy at all? Either did nothing for me, but I know of others who say it did wonders for them.

I broke down in tears in front of my instructor the pressure was that bad! I made one stupid mistake on a parking manouvre, stopped in the middle of the road and burst into tears! He was lovely, said that enough was enough and for now we weren't going to concentrate on tests, we were going to go back to basics! The next week I chose where we went and how the lesson progressed. A couple of lessons like that, with no pressure on the quiet B roads around my area and it made me realise how much I loved driving and how much I wanted that independance, I like to think it worked because had the tyre not burst on the test I would of passed! Great thing was I came away from that test elated, knowing I could pass... And went on to pass the free retest I was given

Just wish you lost of luck :eek:) You will get there with a bit of confidence and self belief.

1 person likes this.
  16. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

He's great, very calm but i can sense that frustration from both of us now :(

I tried Rescue Remedy when going for teaching jobs. when I started learning i said it was just for fun...i wasn't going to put myself under stress and that i'd enjoy it. No pressure could be worse than job interviews...getting married...teaching a class of Firemen :D but this has now taken over my life I desperately want it.

Thanks for the kind words though it really gives me hope :)

17. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I just wish I knew how to :(

But you are so right :)

18. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Point 1: I was learning a lot at night & found it very difficult because I would get blinded by on-coming headlights. I found it easier in the daylight which you should get more of after work now that summer is coming in.

Point 2: THAT makes a lot of sense. I have been driving for almost 20 years now (hell, I feel old now..... :eek:) and I still get 'phased' when driving an unknown route. I'm ok on dual carriageways & motorways but when I get into the town area, I can feel my insides going until I park up.

You WILL get there BM, I promise. And the truth is, you really 'learn' to drive after you pass your test. You will love driving once you build up your confidence and once you really get the independence bug, there'll be no stopping you. :)

19. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I was like that at first. Never thought I would pass, and I realised it was a confidence issue. Once I got to grips with that I was fine, and now I love driving, its so easy, and you can go where you want, and opens up opportunities and you don't have to wait for public transport! :)

Keep going with it, and maybe you will gain more confidence! And you have good lessons and really crap ones. Its normal!!!!

I get like that when I don't know where I am actually going and don't know the area! I drove for 6 hours the other day round wales, and parts of chester and liverpool that I had never been to before, and was nervous (then pissed off because the sat nav was taking me round the world!) I would suggest getting a sat nav but not an old one!!

I have a new car, which I haven't driven yet and I'm nervous because its a 1.6 and a coupe where as I am used to driving a 1.1 hatchback. The nervousness is always there, but once you get used to something you will be fine. When you pass your test you will get a surge of confidence! :) Then you have to get used to driving by yourself which takes time, but if you have proved to an examiner that you are capable, then you are capable of doing it on your own. It will all become second nature, liking riding a bike!

I talked all the way through my test telling myself what to do! If that helps do that! You might sound like a mad woman but hey... whats new?? :D :D

I don't think I'd pass my test again now though because of bad habits! I agree you DO learm how to drive after you pas your test. You learn to deal with ******s on the road!

#19 CharleyRogan, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  20. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I did motorways for the first time the other day, and spent so long doing them because the sat nav kept sending me on them, that I'm fine with them now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice