Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drinking water

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ibolya Taylor, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Ibolya Taylor

Ibolya Taylor PetForums Newbie

Hi all need some suggestions. My little fella is roughly 13 years old. I put a water bowl down for him daily, I use filter water from a filter jug. He very rarely drinks from his bowl. We also leave a bowl outside for him especially in the summer. We often catch him drinking dirty rain water. I will empty the outside bowl and wash it put it back. Then as it fills he will still rather drink that than the clean water indoors. I even bought him a fountain as I read some cats prefer moving water. But nope he didn't like that either. I use pot bowls for his water. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions guys

2. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Senior

I don't know why cats always seem to want to drink weird water sources. I caught mine the other week drinking from the shower tray, but he never drinks from his own. Maybe he can taste the chlorine in tap water, so you could try bottled water instead.

Is the bowl wide enough? Cats don't like the sensation of their whiskers touching the sides.

As long as he has water available I wouldn't worry too much. If he's eating a wet food diet only (which is the ideal) he probably won't need extra water anyway as all hydration comes from the food.

Cully likes this.
  3. Ibolya Taylor

4. Ibolya Taylor

Hi I use water from a filtered jug which our other cat preferred she wouldn't drink tap water. Yeah the bowl does widen out so should be ok. He does have mainly wet food he doesn't appear to drink much water I just hate to see him drink dirty water. Thanks for replying

teddylion likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice