Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drinking water

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MySugar, Jun 30, 2009.

1. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I'm not sure if my new kitten is drinking water. It doesn't look as though it has gone down since she arrived last night.
    She is four months old and eats wet and dry food. How can I encourage her to drink water? I know adult cats need 4 onces a day, but what do kittens need?

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

If your cat is on wet food they get most there moisture from that. Just show her where it is. Some cats dont drink much at all just get it from there food.

3. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Ok, that's a relief thank you.
    I think i'm just worried about it because of my beloved Sugar who was very very poorly. She got so dehydrated near the end that she had to be hooked up to a drip and when at home I had to syringe water into her mouth to avoid her going back on the drip.

Hopefully she will drink some so I stop worrying!

4. fishy5

fishy5 PetForums Junior

As a treat you can give them goats milk,mine love it:D.Sorry that it's a bit random I just thought I would mention it since we're on the subject on drink.

chris:crazy:

5. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thanks Chris. I wasn't aware there was any kind of milk that is safe for them to drink (aside from the obvious, Mummy's milk :))

6. fishy5

fishy5 PetForums Junior

Oops sorry I got that wrong,It isn't goats milk that they can drink.It is labelled cat milk and someone wrongly told me it was goats milk.It turns out it's cow milk with most of the lactose taken out,cats absolutely love it.Sorry about that:blushing:

chris:crazy:

p.s cat milk is sold in most pet shops at a decent price

7. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Moist cat food contains around 80% water so if your kitten is eating the moist food just think about how much 'drink' she has had in her meal.

Cats also like moving fresh water so you can let her see you fill up her bowl and when the water is still settling this is when they seem to like it most!

Aswell the bigger surface to the bowl the better so if you have a large round shallow bowl it may prove more inviting!

Hope this info helps, but i wouldn't be too concerned as she is on moist food you may never actually see her just drinking.

8. Malaguti

Malaguti PetForums Senior

The only way I can get mine to drink any water is to put a little drop of normal milk in it.

Don't get me wrong, I am def. not advertising this as being good for everybody's cats but mine have had this everyday for months and so far, touch wood tummy's seem to be ok.

Always makes me laugh actually because if there's the merest trace of milk in the (warm) water they wolf it down. Plain water - forget it, they won't go near it and never have done. Strange creatures.......:)

9. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you for the help.
    I was worrying too soon, thankfully I saw her drinking. And also my boyfriend changed her bowl to a plate and she seemed to prefer it. So I shall buy her a shallow bowl as advised above :)
    I'm so paranoid because of Sugar, need to chill out I think.
    Thank you!

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Glad you have seen her drink now, hope you can relax a bit now. It is horrible when we are worried about them isn't it?

They are worse to worry about than the children sometimes, at least we can ask the children what is wrong if they are ill!! ;):)

Loving the name by the way, i used to have 12 cats at one stage and they were all named after food and i had a sugar!!

11. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Wow 12 cats :eek: you're brave ;)
    Yes, Sugar was a great name and it really suited her, she was so beautifull and sweet. There is a link to a pic of her at the bottom of my sig.

And yes it can be harder than worrying about kids! I'm gradually relaxing, hoping to fully relax soon :cool:

12. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

My Millie has never taken water from her bowl in the 6 weeks I've had her. But she does have a liking for my dirty shower water that drips off me on the bathroom floor or licking the cold condensation on the side of a glass of cola! Mad Cat!!!

13. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Cats prefer to drink very fresh or moving water, a running tap is often the drinking station of choice. There are several cat fountains that filter and keep the water moving, that are supposed to encourage the cat to drink more - a necessity if you are going to give your cat any dry food, as they invariably never drink enough to compensate for the dry leaving them in a permanent state of mild dehydration.

Goats milk is usually fine for cats, as it is low lactose. Mine enjoy goats yoghurt, and as it is live its good for their digestive systems, as well as being a healthy treat.

14. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

I had a cat once that I NEVER once saw drink from the water bowl, the level never changed in about 12 years we had her. My 2 drink a lot, but 1 less so at first but since getting a water fountain he's upped his intake.

15. an4rew

an4rew PetForums Newbie

My cat doesn't drink much water, i even tried bottled.

Hes an outdoor cat during the day and seems to prefer rain water.

16. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you all for your replies.
    She now has a new bowl and is happily drinking regularly from it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice