Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Drinking Marsh Water

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Pineapple, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Pineapple

Pineapple PetForums Member

There's a marshy stretch along the beach where I walk my dog and he's been lapping at the water - I've been stopping him when he does it, but he enjoys running through the water and stops now and then and laps at it.

I know there was a thread on here somewhere about stuff like lungworm and stopping your dog from drinking from puddles, but I was wondering is there a lot of danger in his drinking this marsh water?

#1 Pineapple, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. tinysarah

tinysarah PetForums Member

Conan does exactly the same! First time he did it he had the runs really bad. Now it just gives him really stinky farts and he seems fine.

3. Pineapple

Yeah, my dog had diarrhoea in the night a couple nights ago, but there were a few other factors I was thinking could have caused it, but today after drinking a bit of the marsh water he seems a little bit wheezy/phlegmy-sounding, just hope there's not something bad in that water. Stomach seems better today. Hard to know.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Don't see how you can stop him if he's swimming in it, just see if he gets the runs and if not i'd think it's okay. I think lots of dogs do it and come to no harm. ;)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dogs can pick up bacterial infections from still water courses. At certain times of year you can get blue algae and other types, that are highly toxic to dogs. Leptospirosis in dogs/weils disease in humans can be caught prom rat Urine. Thats why there was an alert the other year about kids swimming in one particular canal. So there can be risks in letting dogs drink from ponds and water courses, especially if still as the likely hood of them becoming stagnant rises.

6. Pineapple

Thank you for the info. I need to make more of an effort to take along a big bottle of water & plastic bowl and make sure to put that down for him frequently along the walk. Hopefully if he's filled up on good clean water he won't go for the nasty stuff.

7. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

I totally agree with sled dog there, demis had 2 courses of metranidazole and we narrowed it down to her drinking out of dirty puddles, she really had bad guts for a little while, it wsnt nice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice